Head Coach Search

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!

Who do You Want as the Next Head Coach?

Rikard Grönborg
27%
Eric Rud
3%
Mark Parrish
6%
Garrett Raboin
12%
Mike Hastings
18%
Scott Owens
3%
Mike Guentzel
3%
Tom Serratore
6%
Steve Johnson
3%
Mike Gibbons
18%

Total votes: 33
DirtyBottles
3rd Line

Unread post 29 Mar 2018, 14:55

So he was making about 225k right? So over a 300k increase. Yeah, I'd walk also and wouldn't hesitate. He's at the peak of his income earning potential with a quickly closing window. In my opinion it would honestly be a bit irresponsible for him and unfair to his family if he didn't take it (assuming he's not independently wealthy via other means).

That's real money he can use to financially protect his family long term. No doubt his family has given up a lot with him being a head coach through the years (travel, moves, long hours). This is the payoff for all that.

The situation sucks but you can't bag on a guy for securing his financial future.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work - Thomas Edison.

Today I will do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't - unknown
ts8801
3rd Line

Unread post 29 Mar 2018, 14:59

DirtyBottles wrote:So he was making about 225k right? So over a 300k increase. Yeah, I'd walk also and wouldn't hesitate. He's at the peak of his income earning potential with a quickly closing window. In my opinion it would honestly be a bit irresponsible for him and unfair to his family if he didn't take it (assuming he's not independently wealthy via other means).

That's real money he can use to financially protect his family long term. No doubt his family has given up a lot with him being a head coach through the years (travel, moves, long hours). This is the payoff for all that.

The situation sucks but you can't bag on a guy for securing his financial future.
I believe the SC times said he was at $302k this year
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 29 Mar 2018, 15:28

DirtyBottles wrote:He's at the peak of his income earning potential with a quickly closing window. In my opinion it would honestly be a bit irresponsible for him and unfair to his family if he didn't take it (assuming he's not independently wealthy via other means).That's real money he can use to financially protect his family long term.
We'll see. If he makes it through his five year contract, he'll be 61. If he wants to keep working at that point he better be winning. If he stayed at SCSU, he could have coached as long as he wanted. Jerry York is 72.
DirtyBottles wrote:The situation sucks but you can't bag on a guy for securing his financial future.
Watch me.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
TRITT22
1st Line

Unread post 29 Mar 2018, 16:52

I'm hoping Gibbons is the next coach at SCSU. A very close second would be Hastings.

I think Gibbons has the best chance of keeping the current roster intact - to the extent he can after the two significant departures, and keeping our recruits committed. We have a very solid group coming back and some high-end recruits in the pipeline. No doubt Gibbons had a significant hand in landing those recruits. In five years he could hand it over to Raboin after he hopefully gets some head coaching experience in the USHL.

On another note, it's fun reading GPL and seeing people post how they hope Motzko poaches some of our recruits. They wanted our coach and now they want our players. And they call us Jan Brady... :shock:
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 29 Mar 2018, 21:31

I'm not really big on Gibby for the head coach. Sorry, but his record and history just don't make me think he's going to take us further (or even as far) as Bob did. I think he is a good assistant, but he isn't proven further, and that is key IMO. I've heard he might follow Bob if shirked.

Miller would be interesting. He has a lot of success in his history, but no head coaching experience on his resume. Might be interesting to look at, but I'm not sold.

I agree with TEO. We need to woo Gronborg, or at least blow up his phone. He's willing and very very good. Not to mention extremely connected.
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 30 Mar 2018, 08:20

Hey everybody, practice using...

Code: Select all

Alt 148
...just in case. :)

On your iPhone, just hold down the O until the related character menu pops up.

I don't know the shortcut for Android devices. Sorry.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
DirtyBottles
3rd Line

Unread post 30 Mar 2018, 09:07

The_Exiled_One wrote: Watch me.
Ha. Well by all means call him a sell out if it makes you feel better. No skin off my back.

I was just sharing my opinion on it.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work - Thomas Edison.

Today I will do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't - unknown
Husky1
1st Line

Unread post 30 Mar 2018, 09:45

The_Exiled_One wrote:Hey everybody, practice using...

Code: Select all

Alt 148
...just in case. :)

On your iPhone, just hold down the O until the related character menu pops up.

I don't know the shortcut for Android devices. Sorry.
Are you going to add an accent to Gibbons? :)
PokeCheck
2nd Line

Unread post 30 Mar 2018, 10:11

Looks like Potulny is locked up at NMU for the foreseeable future

http://www.nmuwildcats.com/sports/mice/ ... 0329dddswt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 30 Mar 2018, 10:34

Looking at Rikard Gronborg's twitter, looks like he is really really busy traveling and scouting the NHL for the Swedish National Team. Press credentials, head coach, Swedish National Team...
Mar15 Montreal vs Pitt
Arizona vs Minnesota
Vegas vs Calgary
Calgary vs Anaheim 21Mar
Ottawa vs Edmonton 22Mar
25Mar Phil vs Pit
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 30 Mar 2018, 10:59

Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 30 Mar 2018, 18:04

Here are some names that I haven't heard much lately:

--Fred Harbinson Excellent coaching record at Penticton (BCHL), former ass't. coach SCSU, has a pipeline of several successful Huskies.

--Frank Serratore AF pays him about $130,000 per year. He has taken them about as far as they will go. Friend of Motzko, brother of Tom (Bemidji HC), Minnesota guy (and Iron Ranger, to boot!!)

--Brad Willner Current successful coach and GM of Granite City Lumberjacks, won 3 national championships playing for Lake Superior State, former SCSU assistant, and all around good guy.

Among those mentioned before, Mike Gibbons would be a good choice. Mike Hastings would be good, but doubt he would leave a sweet deal at 'Kato. Of course, we've all heard that before . . .My son-in-law (gopher fan) thought we should see if Troy Jutting is available :shock:
And my personal choice would be Dave Starman.

Others--off the grid--Enrico Blaise. Just because he looks cool.

IMO, we will have a better idea of any possibilities once Motzko appoints his assistants. Maybe he keeps Guentzel. Hope he doesn't poach more of the SCSU hockey staff. Would really like him to get Steve Miller from Denver!! He may also get Brown from BU. Both Miller and Brown, I believe, were assistants to Motzko at the WJ tournament the past two years.

Please, don't anyone mention Potulny!! I have seen more than enough of the UofM crap in the past week than is good for my constitution!! Guentzel would be fun to watch, but he breaks the rule of gopher connection.

Garrett Raboin will make an excellent head coach and will be a future SCSU head coach someday. Just not today.

Another idea--name Jack Achan and Robby Jackson co-players/coaches. It's as good as any guess so far . . . .
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 30 Mar 2018, 18:32

Boomer, great suggestion of Frank Serratore! I'd love to see him behind our bench. I bet we'd be a very tempting move for him. The only thing is his age. I'm not sure how long he plans on coaching.

Brad Willner is interesting. I'd like to hear more about him. Success at the AAA level is nice, but how hard is it to coach against Cory Thorson and his team of Billings Bros? ;-)

Robby will definitely be doing our media broadcasts some day.
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 30 Mar 2018, 18:54

Frank Serratore would be a great choice. He gets the most out of his players and knows how to get them ready for big games. He’s older, but may want to finish his career in Minnesota.
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 31 Mar 2018, 15:51

Not sure about Rikard Gronborg. I remember him as a decent 3rd-4th liner while with the Huskies. He has done an excellent job coaching/managing in his home country of Sweden. I would doubt he has a lot of experience or contact with NCAA hockey, but he is a proven coach.

It will be interesting to see exactly who applies for the job. IMO, feelers should go out to Hastings, Tom and Frank Serratore, and Fred Harbinson. Our two assistants--Mike Gibbons and Garrett Raboin--are already on the list (Gibbons has openly stated this, Raboin is in a difficult position because he and the rest of us know he will probably need experience somewhere as a head coach). Remember that one of the first hires by AD Heather Weems was agreeing with Motzko to hire a very young, and inexperienced, Garrett Raboin. He has done an exceptional job as assistant and as a great recruiter. He also bleeds Cardinal and Black.