Jan 30-31, 2016 North Star College Cup

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 26 Jan 2016, 06:36

NORTH STAR COLLEGE CUP
Xcel Energy Center
Session 1 - Saturday, January 30
1 p.m. - Minnesota State vs. St. Cloud State
4 p.m. - Minnesota vs. Bemidji State

Session 2 - Sunday, January 31
1 p.m. - Third Place Game
4 p.m. - Championship Game

All four games of the 2016 North Star College Cup presented by TRIA will be broadcast on FOX Sports North.
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 26 Jan 2016, 12:22

Will there be 10,000 tickets sold?
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 26 Jan 2016, 12:30

scsutommyboy wrote:Will there be 10,000 tickets sold?
Doubtful
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread post 26 Jan 2016, 19:34

Play it in October, I almost care more what happens to North Dakota this weekend then the Huskies. We've already swept Mankato and Minnesota, every game matters but at least Saturdays game means nothing to me as it won't have a major effect on our pairwise rating and doesn't effect the NCHC standings. Might as well win two games this weekend but I'm not even sure that will excite me anymore then the average NCHC sweep, and nowhere near as exciting as sweeping a team like North Dakota. You gotta think if this isn't a success this year major changes are on the way.
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 26 Jan 2016, 20:46

Coaches have liked it, for the most part fans like it. It's still fun to have bragging rights in the state,conference mates or not.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
TwoLinePass
Redshirt

Unread post 26 Jan 2016, 21:18

Lots of twitter talk today about the NSC. I can hardly believe how some people look at this weekend. The change to Saturday/Sunday and 1/4 start times seems to be a problem for some. I just think if you're a supporter/fan of your program it shouldn't matter where or when they play..you'll be there. If you find a reason, and anyone can if they try, not to attend..well that's fine, but don't blame the format. There were people actually concerned that they'd have to start drinking at 11:00am for a 1:00 game. To me, that's a fan of booze..not hockey. This format would help people with only one night in a hotel...could get home early enough Sunday night so it's not a problem. I home it is attended well, I hope SCSU wins both games and I hope the Huskies are seated in a region without Minnesota or UND. I'd rather travel to Cincinnati than have to be at the x with the gophers or F'N Hawks. Put them in the x together would be awesome. Let them beat each other up.
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 27 Jan 2016, 03:32

I think more than 10,000 tickets/attendance will be met. Even tho' the little 6 team isn't a dominating force this year (they DO lead the little 6 conference). gopher fans are among the most fair weather folks in the nation . . . .

Mike G. has a valid point--earlier in the season the NS cup may be better attended. But what's not to like now? Three of the best conferences represented, in-state rivalries and the chance to cheer AGAINST the rodents twice! But not in the championship game. Look for Bemidji to beat them on Saturday. Beavers greater than gopher.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 27 Jan 2016, 12:10

I am excited to see the progression of all these teams. Mankato is healthy now. Minnesota is coming along. I haven't seen BSU yet but I think they still employ the trapping system so it'll be interesting to see how we handle it after not seeing it for a while. I'm pulling for them Boomer.
Anyway it looks like they are figuring things out offensively. Mankato and Minnesota scored a lot last weekend and the Gophers are on a 5 game streak building confidence.
Mankato was in a goal drought when we first saw them.
I think this will be a nice gauge to see where we are all at. I'm ready for puck drop right now.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 27 Jan 2016, 16:50

SC Times...
College hockey chat with Mick Hatten
Chat Husky hockey with Times reporter Mick Hatten at noon. His guests this week are SCSU players Joey Benik, David Morley and Ethan Prow.

Catch the chat online with live video or meet up with the crew at Ultimate Sports Bar & Grill in Waite Park.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 27 Jan 2016, 20:45

SC Times...
SCSU men's hockey - North Star Cup Preview
VIDEO:Reporter Mick Hatten and Taylor Budge of Husky Productions preview the North Star Cup.

Minnesota State Men's hockey...
North Star College Cup on the Docket for 19th-rated Mavericks

Bemidji State Men's hockey...
Serratore and Beavers prepare for North Star College Cup

No NSCC stories yet for SCSU and U of M.
PokeCheck
2nd Line

Unread post 27 Jan 2016, 21:57

No reason to hate on this little tournament. There are some good teams and playing in St Paul during the thick of hockey season! Ice on the river, ice sculptures in the park. Great venue and lots of Minnesota talent on the ice. Won't be able to attend, but will certainly tune in on FSN.
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread post 28 Jan 2016, 07:23

No I don't hate it, it's just I want to be playing conference games at this point. Add to that a very good chance we play 2 teams we already beat twice, and it just doesn't have that excitement level it could. A Huge part of this might be that we've already virtually clinched a NCAA berth (probably need 2 or 3 more wins to make that official). After every game meaning everything at this point last year maybe I'm just bored with everything but the Penrose cup, and the 4 game winning streak we need to have to close the season.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 28 Jan 2016, 08:25

Minnesota Daily 26Jan16 via SCSUHockey twitter...
North Star College Cup keeps past alive
The event features four of the college hockey teams in the state of Minnesota.

Golden Gophers Hockey, multiple links, history and gametracker...
North Star College Cup
SlapShot
3rd Line

Unread post 28 Jan 2016, 09:56

I am looking forward to this tournament. I have good friends who went to UMD, Minn, and Mankato. A lot of smack talk gets thrown around. I always love beating the in-state schools, and having all the fans in St. Paul at the same time is great.

I wish there was a way to tweak the format though, without having Minn be the permanent host. I would love to see the team that loses both games be out the next year, and maybe have a team that is not in either of the conferences be scheduled for this weekend every year, who will play the odd man out in a regular non-conf game. But I know that will never happen.
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 28 Jan 2016, 12:31

I know they want this to be like the final five but it never will be. This isn't playoff hockey and you can't make that kind of urgency in these none conference games. I have my doubts this will ever turn into half the event the schools want it to be unless they stop playing series outside this event. Sorry but the Huskies have already played two games against Mankato and the Goofers so it takes away from making these games special.