Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

2018-19 SCSU Men's hockey season

2018-19 SCSU Men's hockey season

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!

Re: 2018-19 SCSU Men's hockey season

Unread postby hockeypuck » 11 Apr 2019, 18:45

UMD advances to the championship game over Providence 4-1.
Box
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 11 Apr 2019, 23:06

UMass defeats Denver 4-3 OT.
Box
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby HuskyFan64 » 12 Apr 2019, 20:01

All-American Teams Announced! :D

Total of 19 schools boast players on 2018-19 All-American selections

First Team:
Jimmy Schuldt
Patrick Newell

Second Team:
Blake Lizotte
Jack Ahcan

Crazy to see Blake as an All-American, just as crazy to NOT see RobbyJ make All-American
Don't really get why that call was made, but congrats all the same to the guys! :D
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 13 Apr 2019, 10:01

Mick Hatten
‏@MickHatten
18h18 hours ago
More
From left, @HobeyBakerAward finalists @SCSUHUSKIES_MH’s Jimmy Schuldt, @UMassHockey’s Cale Makar and @Harvard’s Adam Fox during the autograph signing at the Frozen Four #collegehockey – at HARBORcenter

Mick Hatten
‏@MickHatten
17h17 hours ago
More
Steve Schuldt, father of Jimmy Schudlt, talks about his son playing for @SCSUHUSKIES_MH at the @HobeyBakerAward show #collegehockey – at HARBORcenter

Highlights for @SCSUHUSKIES_MH D Jimmy Schuldt at Hobey Baker Award show #collegehockey – at HARBORcenter
https://twitter.com/i/status/1116828253807939584

Josh Fenton
‏@Fenton_JC
16h16 hours ago
More
We have lots of incredible people in @TheNCHC and this guy is certainly one of them. Honored to be with Jimmy Schuldt and his parents at the @HobeyBakerAward ceremony tonight! @SCSUHUSKIES_MH #NCHCProud #unleashSCSU #NCHCHockey

The NCHC
‏@TheNCHC
17h17 hours ago
More
Congrats to the 6 #NCHCHockey players who earned AHCA All-American honors!

3 on the First Team and 3 on the Second Team

SCSU Men's Hockey
‏@SCSUHUSKIES_MH
16h16 hours ago
More
Hey @SCSUHUSKIES_MH Fans! You are all invited to the Huskies Hockey Fan Finale Social in the Brooks Center Atrium on Thurs., April 18th starting at 5 p.m. for a meet & greet with the team & ice cream sundaes. Comments from head coach @BrettLarson18 and @SCSUHUSKIES_AD as well.

hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 13 Apr 2019, 10:06

SCSU Men's hockey
Jimmy Schuldt named to Senior CLASS Award All-America Team

Jimmy Schuldt (right) and the NCHC's Josh Fenton

SCSU earns an unprecedented four CCM/AHCA All-America award in 2018-19

SCSU All-Americans (L-R): Blake Lizotte, Patrick Newell, Jimmy Schuldt & Jack Ahcan
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 13 Apr 2019, 12:02

Let's Play Hockey
‏@LetsPlay_Hockey
19h19 hours ago
More
5 Minnesota natives named All-Americans

First Team West:
@UMDMensHockey G Hunter Shepard (Cohasset)
@SCSUHUSKIES_MH D Jimmy Schuldt (Minnetonka)
@GopherHockey F Rem Pitlick (Plymouth)

Second Team West:
@UMDMensHockey D Scott Perunovich (Hibbing)
@SCSUHUSKIES_MH F Blake Lizotte (Lindstrom)
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 14 Apr 2019, 01:46

UMD Bulldogs win back to back NCAA National championships! Congrats! Dominating performance over UMass.

collegehockeystats.net
Box
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 14 Apr 2019, 12:00

I was hoping it would have been all 3 Minnesota teams in the Frozen Four. You could argue that all 3 teams were easily in the top 4 this year. We had our deepest team ever and I would argue 3 games to 2 over Duluth and should have been 4-1 if not for one big turnover at the X.

Game 1 loss 3-1, shots 31 to 18 SCSU, Shepard was the difference.
Game 2 win 4-2, shots 32 to 22 UMD, Hrenak was the difference.
Game 3 win 4-3 OT, shots 28 to 28, evenly matched, a bounce off the skate was the difference.
Game 4 win 4-3, shots 25 to 25, evenly matched, Jeff Smith was the difference.
Game 5 loss 4-3 Double OT, shots 39 to 30, a game SCSU dominated but one turnover pass just slightly behind Fitzgerald in our own zone turned the game.

I think SCSU was stronger all 4 lines offensively but Shepard and Wolfe I would give the edge to UMD on the back end. Poehling was just recovering at the wrong time. Otherwise both teams were very evenly matched. Mankato is right there too.

I also think some bad breakout habits that you can get away with on olympic vs nhl ice, reference the turnover at the X and some of our blind chips. Couple decisions here and there. Shoulda woulda a coulda, I would have played Smith looking back on it now. Motzko also had them practice at the Municipal Athletic Complex (MAC) before the tournament, that might be double edged though if it gets in your head again. Really enforces getting the practice rink NHL sized so it really isn't thought about.

My other conspiracy theory is the North Dakota rats intentionally turned up the heat on the ice. Terrible ice/slush conditions for a regional.

I really thought this was the year. The media just focused on the Air Force and Ferris State factor over and over and I didn't think it affected the team until they got behind and then for 2 periods they just didn't look like the Huskies, there's no denying it got in some of the players heads. Larson and the players always thought they could come back and did in 9 games this year so everyone thought it would happen. Finally in the 3rd after breaking through with a goal they looked like themselves but it was too late.
If I were Larson or the players, I wouldn't respond to any further questions about it. It's been beat to death for way too long now. For new players it shouldn't enter into their psyche or should they be questioned about it since they weren't there.

Anyway, this season will always be a great one to remember. Penrose Champs! Thanks Huskies for great hockey! The NCHC championship game will still go down as one of the best college hockey games I've ever seen.

On the USCHO fan forum a UMD fan was acknowledging MN HS hockey and especially Hermantown...

UMD - 15 Minnesota HS hockey players, Hermantown (3),Stillwater (2) Roseville, Shakopee, Hibbing, Eagan, Cloquet, Warroad, Oakdale, Lakeville, Blaine, Eden Prairie
SCSU- 16 - Lakeville (4), Warroad, Sartell, Savage/Burnville, Remer/Grand Rapids, St. Cloud, Thief River Falls, Fridley, St. Paul/White Bear Lake, Minnetonka, Elk River, Blaine, Lindstrom
Mankato- 12 - Lakeville, Nowthen/Elk River(2), Hermantown, Minnetonka (2), Red Wing, Coon Rapids, Blaine, Rochester (2), Woodbury
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 18 Apr 2019, 10:50

hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Previous

Return to Men's Hockey