Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

Gopher head coach Bob Motzko

Talk about those other, inferior, teams here.

Unread postby mikecgrimes » 30 Mar 2018, 06:13

I have a lot of respect for coach Motzko, understand why he left us. The question is can he and will he do anything for the Gopher hockey program that Don Lucia didn't. I think that discussion has to start with noting they aren't getting a 50 year old Bob Motzko they are getting the 57 year old version. They can talk ll about him coming back, but he has no history with that program at all, he was an assistant coach for a couple years, really good years but a couple years. To do for that program what he needs to he needs to get the kids that weren't planning on being Gophers when they were 10 years old, and no matter how talented he needs to reject some of the kids who were born Gophers. As nuts as it seems Kevin Fitgerald is a far better recruit then Casey Mittlestadt. Bob Motzko's last 6 years comes with one player who has spent one full season on an NHL roster that being zero goal scoring 27 year old Nick Jensen. You can win with the right NHL prospects and you can win with no real NHL prospects Bob is gonna have to find the balance, and reject some really talented players. If it was 50 year old Bob Motzko I'd bet on it, I'm not sure 57 year old Bob Motzko will have the drive and ability to pull it off to the level needed. A great program at Minnesota I believe is good for Husky hockey in a lot of ways.
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Re: Gopher head coach Bob Motzko

Unread postby scsu21 » 30 Mar 2018, 09:38

Maybe this will be a blessing in disguise for our program in the end. I think how it unfolded is the hard thing to take. He obviously was speaking the Minnesota before our season was complete and at a crucial time. Then to skip out on the coaches show Monday night. Finish what you start. a delay of 3-4 days would have not hindered that transition at all.

He will now be known as "Back Door Bob."
scsu21
1st Line

Return to Other Hockey Teams