Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

Head Coach Search

Head Coach Search

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!

Who do You Want as the Next Head Coach?

Rikard Grönborg
27%
Eric Rud
3%
Mark Parrish
6%
Garrett Raboin
12%
Mike Hastings
18%
Scott Owens
3%
Mike Guentzel
3%
Tom Serratore
6%
Steve Johnson
3%
Mike Gibbons
18%

Total votes : 33

Head Coach Search

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 28 Mar 2018, 08:49

Figured it's time to get past the betrayal and start looking forward. Who's the next great Husky coach?
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Re: Head Coach Search

Unread postby DirtyBottles » 28 Mar 2018, 09:23

I won't pretend to be great hockey mind so don't really know what some of these folks bring to the table. That said some general thoughts/comments:

- Voted for Gibbons, but if we go that route need to focus on grooming successor. Would love Gibbons HC with Parrish as an assistant. Then see if Raboin can get a HC gig in USHL. Gives us options post Gibbons.

- Grant Potulny is interesting choice but lets be honest, he'd be simply bidding his time until Bob retires at the U. But that's ok - if he kicks a## for 5-8 years and then leaves I'd take that. Just have to have a succession plan in place if possible.

- Don't know the first thing about Rikard but based on what i've read it's an interesting option

- Don't want them to hire someone from the program just because - have to be convinced that person can lead the program.

- Eric Rud does not do much for me? I get our women's team has been historically bad but he doesn't seem to have changed much? What am I missing here??
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work - Thomas Edison.

Today I will do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't - unknown
DirtyBottles
3rd Line

Unread postby Husky1 » 28 Mar 2018, 10:36

Is Rikard even a remote possibility? Wouldn't he already be coaching in North America if he had interest in being over here? Not saying I'd be mad if they hired him, I just can't imagine it's all that realistic.

Potulny would definitely put us in the same situation as Bob in several years, but if he continued the forward progress of the program I don't think that'd be the end of the world.

I'd love for Gibbons to get it from a short term perspective, but I honestly don't know if he really is HC material.

I'm sure there are a few assistants out there who would merit a look; I've heard Knott at MSU-M is a rising star. FWIW I'm voting for Hastings on the current list.
Husky1
1st Line

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 28 Mar 2018, 10:49

Husky1 wrote:Is Rikard even a remote possibility? Wouldn't he already be coaching in North America if he had interest in being over here? Not saying I'd be mad if they hired him, I just can't imagine it's all that realistic.

https://www.wch2016.com/news/rikard-gro ... -281697336

"Gronborg said he could see himself returning as a college coach."

He's the only guy on the list that could arguably be considered a coaching upgrade from Bob. He's gone head to head (and won) against NHL coaches at the international level. He's young enough that he could conceivably use this gig as a springboard for an NHL gig (ala Hakstol), which would be fine by me. As long as he doesn't use it as a springboard to a higher paying gig at a lesser college hockey program, I'd be cool with it.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Husky1 » 28 Mar 2018, 11:02

Well then I say let's give him a ring; I'd send that article to Weems ASAP. How much is his buyout from the Swedish Ice Hockey Federation? :)
Husky1
1st Line

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 28 Mar 2018, 11:29

I hope Steve Miller applies.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby HuskyFan64 » 28 Mar 2018, 12:45

Ideally I’d love Gibby to get the job for 2-3 years while Rabs gets experience and seasoning in the USHL, then Gibby retires and hands the keys to Rabs

I always felt like that was the plan in place, albeit with Bob retiring a Husky to lead into Rabs taking over

But if we could get Gronborg that would seemingly be a huge win

As for Parrish, I’d love to see him as an Assistant; awesome guy who was a great High School coach but I think he could use some seasoning and experience in the college game before he’s ready to be the bench boss
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 28 Mar 2018, 16:11

HuskyFan64 wrote:As for Parrish, I’d love to see him as an Assistant; awesome guy who was a great High School coach but I think he could use some seasoning and experience in the college game before he’s ready to be the bench boss

Mark Parrish is open to being an Assistant Coach...

https://twitter.com/MarkDParrish/status ... 7141293057

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mikecgrimes » 28 Mar 2018, 17:30

I get the fear with Grant potoulny leaving for Minnesota when motzko retires, but I would hope whoever we hire is attractive to Minnesota or Michigan or Notre Dame in 5 years. While there's an argument to be made someone who's just good enough for a smaller school is ideal I want someone who's gonna win a national championship in the next 3 to 5 years. I'm no expert on many candidates but if the gophers want our next coach we did something right.
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread postby hockeypuck » 28 Mar 2018, 20:04

I vote for Gibbons, Raboin and Parrish. Need some continuity for next year and not spend half the year trying to implement a new system. Down the road you have Raboin with some more experience and time to implement other philosophies.
I like our offensive game but we need to clean up some things in the D zone.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mikecgrimes » 28 Mar 2018, 22:06

Potulny signs 8 year extension with Northern Michigan. I know there are a lot of great options but the internal options now look like the best bet. Hate to go with a 63 year old rookie coach in Gibbons, but Raboin as head coach in waiting is better then Raboin having to put a new staff together assuming Gibbons would go with Motzko if he doesn't get head coaching money.
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 28 Mar 2018, 22:17

I wouldnt call Gibby a rookie head coach.
But him or Gronborg is fine with me. Wanted nothing to do witb Potulny.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Sid » 28 Mar 2018, 22:47

What are the chances we could get Steve Miller?
Sid
Redshirt

Unread postby hockeypuck » 29 Mar 2018, 05:15

SC Times
SCSU looks ahead to replacing Motzko as head men's hockey coach

Steve Miller looks intriguing. Ohio State, Air Force, Providence, Denver for 20 years, Miami and played at St. Mary's. Possibly a little more d zone emphasis and 2 years asst under Motzko at the WJC so he know's Motzko's systems. Didn't know anything about him before. I still lean toward Gibby and his relationships with the current and possibly most of the incoming players. He might be 62 but he's in great shape and his energy is more like 45.

College Hockey News
What Now For St. Cloud?
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 29 Mar 2018, 13:58

Left for the money

Bob Motzko's contract needs to be approved, but it's a 5 year deal that starts with a base salary of $565K and increases 5% each year.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Next

Return to Men's Hockey