Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

Potential Recruits

Potential Recruits

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!

Re: Potential Recruits

Unread postby mikecgrimes » 06 Mar 2019, 22:57

This Donte Lawson kid for Greenway is going to do big things after high school. Looks like the Huskies are in on him https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sport ... -big-stats
User avatar
mikecgrimes
1st Line
 
Posts: 929
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 08:15
Location: Anoka

Re: Potential Recruits

Unread postby hockeypuck » 07 Mar 2019, 06:10

mikecgrimes wrote:This Donte Lawson kid for Greenway is going to do big things after high school. Looks like the Huskies are in on him https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sport ... -big-stats


Curious, the article is dated Jan 24th 2018 (14 months ago) so I am wondering if he was talking to Gibby or Motzko or both? Last night he had a knack of stick handling in a phone booth and always coming out with the puck.
User avatar
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: 04 Apr 2011, 21:45

Re: Potential Recruits

Unread postby FalcoBro8 » 10 Mar 2019, 23:15

after watching the State tournament, would say the 2 uncommitted kids who did the most to improve their stock would be Carson Richels and Dante Lawson, gotta imagine Larson has his eye on at least one of them.
User avatar
FalcoBro8
1st Line
 
Posts: 660
Joined: 30 Nov 2012, 16:00

Re: Potential Recruits

Unread postby mikecgrimes » 11 Mar 2019, 14:08

hockeypuck wrote:
mikecgrimes wrote:This Donte Lawson kid for Greenway is going to do big things after high school. Looks like the Huskies are in on him https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sport ... -big-stats


Curious, the article is dated Jan 24th 2018 (14 months ago) so I am wondering if he was talking to Gibby or Motzko or both? Last night he had a knack of stick handling in a phone booth and always coming out with the puck.


Didn't even think of this to now but maybe it was Gibbons and Larson talking to him a year ago.
User avatar
mikecgrimes
1st Line
 
Posts: 929
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 08:15
Location: Anoka

Re: Potential Recruits

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 11 Mar 2019, 14:52

FalcoBro8 wrote:after watching the State tournament, would say the 2 uncommitted kids who did the most to improve their stock would be Carson Richels and Dante Lawson, gotta imagine Larson has his eye on at least one of them.

The Huskies recently contacted Richels, but he's already visited the goofers so they have a bit of a jump on him. Hopefully Larsen can set a trend winning head to head recruiting battles with UMTC, but typically SCSU hasn't done well in those scenarios. (The Huskies success with Minnesotans has typically come from late bloomers and really good scouting from Gibby.)

As for Lawson, the Huskies could be in a bit of a pickle, as I'm not convinced Larsen will hang on to either Troumbly or Miller which might leave a bit of a bad flavor in Coleraine. Thankfully, the fact that Motzko abandoned both of those guys probably hurts the goofers chances even more. I'd say that UMD probably has the advantage with Lawson, but I'm hopeful anyway.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
User avatar
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 4384
Joined: 20 Jan 2003, 22:21

Re: Potential Recruits

Unread postby TRITT22 » 11 Mar 2019, 16:58

The_Exiled_One wrote:
FalcoBro8 wrote:after watching the State tournament, would say the 2 uncommitted kids who did the most to improve their stock would be Carson Richels and Dante Lawson, gotta imagine Larson has his eye on at least one of them.

The Huskies recently contacted Richels, but he's already visited the goofers so they have a bit of a jump on him. Hopefully Larsen can set a trend winning head to head recruiting battles with UMTC, but typically SCSU hasn't done well in those scenarios. (The Huskies success with Minnesotans has typically come from late bloomers and really good scouting from Gibby.)

As for Lawson, the Huskies could be in a bit of a pickle, as I'm not convinced Larsen will hang on to either Troumbly or Miller which might leave a bit of a bad flavor in Coleraine. Thankfully, the fact that Motzko abandoned both of those guys probably hurts the goofers chances even more. I'd say that UMD probably has the advantage with Lawson, but I'm hopeful anyway.


Wow, what makes you think Larson wouldn't keep Troumbly? I would be shocked if he let him go after the tournament he had. He was also on the all tournament team. He seems like exactly the type of recruit that fits SCSU's system. As for Miller I think he will remain an SCSU recruit as well. He's a good stay at home D with a huge wingspan and a bomb of a shot.
User avatar
TRITT22
1st Line
 
Posts: 722
Joined: 30 Jan 2003, 21:51

Re: Potential Recruits

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 11 Mar 2019, 17:44

If Troumbly ends up being an average or better college player I will gladly eat my words. Miller has higher potential, IMO.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
User avatar
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 4384
Joined: 20 Jan 2003, 22:21

Re: Potential Recruits

Unread postby FalcoBro8 » 11 Mar 2019, 21:28

The_Exiled_One wrote:If Troumbly ends up being an average or better college player I will gladly eat my words. Miller has higher potential, IMO.


To each their own opinion but I thought Troumbly was one of the best players in the A tournament and with the way he plays the game for a guy his size I cant wait till he arrives on campus and id be surprised if Larson let him go, Miller I think needs to put some work into his skating if he ever wants to have a consistent role at the next level, although hes got some very solid size which is a big plus.
User avatar
FalcoBro8
1st Line
 
Posts: 660
Joined: 30 Nov 2012, 16:00

Re: Potential Recruits

Unread postby HuskyFan64 » 11 Mar 2019, 22:46

I'm definitely interested in how Troy Dahlheimer does in Juniors

The dude was a FORCE for the Moose all 3 years he played and absolutely smashed the School Career Points Record which had stood for 12 years

If his game translates to the next level, I think he's a dude to keep an eye on
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
User avatar
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 1965
Joined: 03 Nov 2012, 09:00
Location: St. Cloud, MN

Re: Potential Recruits

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 20 Mar 2019, 19:32

The_Exiled_One wrote:
mikecgrimes wrote:Looks like he's headed to Minot as he posted a video of a multi car pile up with a Barnes county ambulance. I hope everyone is safe out there.

Not sure if he’s eligible as he may have played a bit in the Czech pro league, but defenseman Ondrej Trejbal is putting up good numbers for the Wilderness.

*picks up horn*

TOOT TOOT!
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
User avatar
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 4384
Joined: 20 Jan 2003, 22:21

Re: Potential Recruits

Unread postby mikecgrimes » 21 Mar 2019, 08:43

Donte Lawson committed to Bemidji the other day. We may have been overly impressed by his offense anyways and ignored his flaws, I will say the smallish guy that gets the job done at this level can be more good then bad (think Jack Achan versus Dennis Chowolski).
User avatar
mikecgrimes
1st Line
 
Posts: 929
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 08:15
Location: Anoka

Re: Potential Recruits

Unread postby FalcoBro8 » 25 Mar 2019, 18:02

The Exiled One, saw over on a different hockey forum you speculated we might be poaching one of their recruits, care to give any info on that one by chance?
User avatar
FalcoBro8
1st Line
 
Posts: 660
Joined: 30 Nov 2012, 16:00

Re: Potential Recruits

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 26 Mar 2019, 14:23

FalcoBro8 wrote:The Exiled One, saw over on a different hockey forum you speculated we might be poaching one of their recruits, care to give any info on that one by chance?

Just a rumor from somebody who should be connected. It doesn't make any logical sense to me, so I don't know what to make of it. I'm going to say 15% probability. If it get's over 50% I'll share the name by private message. Until then, it's not worth it.

The reason I posted it on the other forum is I wanted to see if anybody had heard about it from their end. Nobody had.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
User avatar
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 4384
Joined: 20 Jan 2003, 22:21

Re: Potential Recruits

Unread postby FalcoBro8 » 26 Mar 2019, 17:16

The_Exiled_One wrote:
FalcoBro8 wrote:The Exiled One, saw over on a different hockey forum you speculated we might be poaching one of their recruits, care to give any info on that one by chance?

Just a rumor from somebody who should be connected. It doesn't make any logical sense to me, so I don't know what to make of it. I'm going to say 15% probability. If it get's over 50% I'll share the name by private message. Until then, it's not worth it.

The reason I posted it on the other forum is I wanted to see if anybody had heard about it from their end. Nobody had.


Makes sense, they've got a few solid kids lined up but don't remember hearing us too connected to them at the time of their commitments. Time will tell I guess.
User avatar
FalcoBro8
1st Line
 
Posts: 660
Joined: 30 Nov 2012, 16:00

Re: Potential Recruits

Unread postby FalcoBro8 » 31 Mar 2019, 20:44

Wonder with Poehling leaving now if we show any interest in CC grad transfer Westin Michaud, plays center I believe, would add a skilled forward to a solid returning group of forwards next year.
User avatar
FalcoBro8
1st Line
 
Posts: 660
Joined: 30 Nov 2012, 16:00

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hockey

cron

Who is online

  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 10 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 546 on 06 Jun 2012, 11:08
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest