Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

2019 off-season thread time to rebuild

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!

Unread postby mikecgrimes » 02 Apr 2019, 07:04

Looks like Blake lizotte is signing with the king's. I would think this would mean achan and hrenek have limited reason to stick around if they get fair offers. I'm kind of ok with it as I said following NCAA disaster #3 I want to move past all of Bob's recruits and see what Larson can do. I still remain hopeful for next year but a complete collapse for the first time in over a decade seems possible.
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Re: 2019 off-season thread time to rebuild

Unread postby Husky1 » 02 Apr 2019, 10:05

I hope it's not true but this is the one thing that kid on twitter seems to have any knowledge of. Seems early for Blake unless he has a hatred of school/the coaches.

If they all want to go pro then great do it now so I can just turn off college hockey mentally for 6 months without having the wounds re-opened every so often.

The job will get a lot harder for Larson now but his focus from a recruiting standpoint has been much more building from the goal out and I have no problem with that.
Husky1
1st Line

Unread postby Sid » 05 Apr 2019, 00:15

I did not foresee Lizotte going this year, I think he would have been much better off with one more year under his belt. That one is going to sting. Any word on Ahcan yet?
Sid
Redshirt

Unread postby Husky1 » 05 Apr 2019, 10:03

Given the sheer number of 'D' we have, and in particular the late addition of Trejbal, I wonder if they aren't expecting him to depart.

At present I still feel good about this team, but to me the base expectation becomes home ice for the 1st round. Certainly there won't be as much margin for error with the hit to the offense (esp. less Blake), but I feel good about the 'D' both now and in the pipeline. Hopefully they thrive with being more the hunter than the hunted.
Husky1
1st Line

Unread postby HuskyFan64 » 05 Apr 2019, 15:58

Noone could've seen Blake leaving, definitely a dude who could've used one more season of development
Still, all the best to him! :)

I'd like to think Ahcan is going to look at how Jimmy handled the same situation and return for his Senior year as well, hopefully I'm right lol

And I'm definitely feeling good about this team heading into next year; the D will still be great, Hrenak is a fantastic Goalie who simply needs to be a bit more consistent, and I absolutely see Easton as a guy who will take a big jump his Junior year ala Hanowski/RobbyJ
Anyone else people think could take the next step next season? I'd look at Miller to get more icetime and chances as well, same with Hentges
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Boomer » 07 Apr 2019, 00:12

If Easton Brodzinski gets better as a two-way player, I believe it will help his scoring and be a big help to this team. Micah Miller IMO will improve and be a integral part of the Huskies next season. Nick Perbix should improve in leaps and bounds. Same thing for Hentges. Fitzgerald was having a great year and then got clobbered by Wolfe. I think he and the Poehling brothers will be an outstanding line and will be expected to score more. Nolan Walker will be better--and he had an outstanding freshman season. Bushy will be a force on the blue line, much like Jon Lizotte was for the past few years. Jack Ahcan will possibly be one of the best D-I defensemen in the country.

Sleepers? I believe Luke Jaycox and Jake Wahlin will both improve and take on a leadership role.

Questions? Back up goaltenders. How will the incoming recruits perform?

Kudos to HuskyFan64 for his energy and being a GREAT SCSU Hockey Fan! And thanks to Hockeypuck for his endless work on giving us Husky fans oodles of information, stats, etc. It is greatly appreciated.

And a big thank you to Brett Larson and his coaching staff. They did an excellent job and did it with class. What a year!!!
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Doe » 10 Apr 2019, 19:05

Boomer wrote:If Easton Brodzinski gets better as a two-way player, I believe it will help his scoring and be a big help to this team. Micah Miller IMO will improve and be a integral part of the Huskies next season. Nick Perbix should improve in leaps and bounds. Same thing for Hentges. Fitzgerald was having a great year and then got clobbered by Wolfe. I think he and the Poehling brothers will be an outstanding line and will be expected to score more. Nolan Walker will be better--and he had an outstanding freshman season. Bushy will be a force on the blue line, much like Jon Lizotte was for the past few years. Jack Ahcan will possibly be one of the best D-I defensemen in the country.

Sleepers? I believe Luke Jaycox and Jake Wahlin will both improve and take on a leadership role.

Questions? Back up goaltenders. How will the incoming recruits perform?

Kudos to HuskyFan64 for his energy and being a GREAT SCSU Hockey Fan! And thanks to Hockeypuck for his endless work on giving us Husky fans oodles of information, stats, etc. It is greatly appreciated.

And a big thank you to Brett Larson and his coaching staff. They did an excellent job and did it with class. What a year!!!

I just don't see Jaycox ever being a major contributor. He had big turnovers in every game I went to this year and most led to goals. Larson couldn't wait to get him off the ice.
Doe
Redshirt

Unread postby hockeypuck » 15 Apr 2019, 06:59

minnesotahockey.org 25Mar19 - One of the Seven is Coach Brett Larson - scroll to the bottom of the article
7 Hockey Stars for Multisport Development

SCSU Men's Hockey
‏@SCSUHUSKIES_MH
Apr 12
More
Hey @SCSUHUSKIES_MH Fans! You are all invited to the Huskies Hockey Fan Finale Social in the Brooks Center Atrium on Thurs., April 18th starting at 5 p.m. for a meet & greet with the team & ice cream sundaes. Comments from head coach @BrettLarson18 and @SCSUHUSKIES_AD as well.

hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 15 Apr 2019, 21:27

startribune.com Blog Puck Drop - Randy Johnson
A way-too-early college hockey top 10 for 2019-20
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 18 Apr 2019, 06:48

TONIGHT!!!

SCSU Men's Hockey
‏@SCSUHUSKIES_MH
Apr 15
More
ICYMI: You're invited to the @SCSUHUSKIES_MH Fan Finale Social in the Brooks Center Atrium on Thursday starting at 5 p.m. for a meet and greet with the team and comments from Head Coach @BrettLarson18 and @SCSUHUSKIES_AD. Ice Cream Sundaes with toppings will be served as well!

SCSU Men's Hockey
‏@SCSUHUSKIES_MH
7h7 hours ago
Celebrating another year of outstanding student-athletes, coaches, teams and accomplishments at St. Cloud State on April 17...the @SCSUHUSKIES Senior Send-off. A special thanks goes out to Sue Wahl Storbeck and Lee Storbeck for helping make this event a success.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby HuskyFan64 » 18 Apr 2019, 18:11

Just left the Huskies Hockey Fan Finale Social featuring your new Captains:

Assistant Captain Jack Poehling
Assistant Captain Nick Poehling
Assistant Captain Clark Kuster

And RETURNING FOR HIS SENIOR SEASON
Captain Jack Ahcan!!!

:D :D :D

This was so much fun and really cool, Coach Larson and AD Weems gave great speeches as well :)
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 18 Apr 2019, 19:52

I was there too. Great time, thanks to the players for a great season! Can't wait for next year.
Talked to Gibby and Larson about a strong class coming in, strong D core and goaltending. A lot of the players mentioned people will be surprised how good they'll be next year. Should be very exciting. Schedule is also out.

*NCHC games
Oct 5 University of Alberta St. Cloud, MN HBNHC
Oct 11-12 at Bemidji State University Bemidji, MN
Oct 25-26 NORTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY St. Cloud, MN HBNHC
Nov 1-2 PRINCETON UNIVERSITY St. Cloud, MN HBNHC
Nov 8-9 at Northern Michigan Marquette, MI
Nov 15-16 COLORADO COLLEGE* St. Cloud, MN HBNHC
Nov 22-23 at North Dakota* Grand Forks, ND
Dec 6-7 at Miami University (OH)* Oxford, OH
Dec 13-14 OMAHA* St. Cloud, MN HBNHC
Dec 28-29 at Mariucci Classic Minneapolis (Opponents TBA)
Jan 10-11 at University of Denver* Denver, CO
Jan 17-18 MINNESOTA DULUTH* St. Cloud, MN HBNHC
Jan 24-25 at Western Michigan* Kalamazoo, MI
Jan 31-Feb1 MIAMI UNIVERSITY (OH)* St. Cloud, MN HBNHC
Feb 7-8 at Colorado College* Colorado Springs, CO
Feb 21-22 NORTH DAKOTA* St. Cloud, MN HBNHC
Feb 28-29 UNIVERSITY OF DENVER* St. Cloud, MN HBNHC
Mar 6-7 at Minnesota Duluth* Duluth, MN
Mar 13-15 NCHC FIRST ROUND PLAYOFFS TBD (Best of 3 series)
Mar 20-21 NCHC Frozen Faceoff St. Paul, MN - Excel Energy Center
Mar 27-29 NCAA Regionals TBA
Apr 9-11 NCAA Frozen Four Detroit, MICH

(All dates and opponents subject to change- Game times will be announced when they come available. Visit http://www.scsuhuskies.com for the latest schedule information)

TICKET INFORMATION: http://www.scsutickets.com
TICKET OFFICE PHONE NUMBER: 1-877-SCSUTIX

Last edited by hockeypuck on 18 Apr 2019, 20:24, edited 6 times in total.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mikecgrimes » 18 Apr 2019, 20:06

With Hrenek and Achan coming back it looks like we should at least contend for a top 4 finish in the NCHC. We lost a lot out of the senior class and of course the losses of Poehling and Lizotte are big but it could have been a lot worse. It will be interesting to see what Nick and Jack Poehling are able to do, they along with Ryan always seemed to score huge goals even if they didn't score a ton of goals overall.
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread postby hockeypuck » 18 Apr 2019, 20:56

Defense has Ahcan, Perbix, Bushy, Meier, Anderson, Jaycox and Kuster coming back. Add Zinns ( 46 pts in 58 GP for a D), Trejbal (40 pts in 55 GP) and Zeimer (18 pts in 55 GP) coming in. Both coaches mentioned Trejbal and Zinns are very good. Solid D core.

Offense has J. Poehling, N. Poehling, Fitzgerald, Walker, Hentges, Brodzinski, Miller, Wahlin, and Hammer coming back. Still pretty solid. Then add 3 top Fwd's in Krannila (45 pts in 60 GP), Kupka (71 pts in 60 GP) and Okabe (58 pts in 60 GP) plus a solid Molenaar (33 pts in 53 GP) and possibly Enebak (24 pts in 51 GP). Looks very good to me. One coach was high on Krannila last year and also mentioned the two AJHL's being very good. They also have all summer to look for possibly one more.

Goaltending, Hrenak coming back and Lamoreaux backing him up. Zevnik could also possibly be back. Solid again... Mentioned Lamoreaux playing for a team giving up 50 shots so he should be a lot better with a D only giving up 20.
I can't wait...!!!
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 19 Apr 2019, 10:17

SCSU Men's hockey
St. Cloud State Men's Hockey names new captains for 2019-20

(L-R) Nick Poehling, Jack Ahcan, Jack Poehling and Clark Kuster
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Next

Return to Men's Hockey