Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

2018-19 Brett Larson Show

2018-19 Brett Larson Show

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!

Re: 2018-19 Brett Larson Show

Unread postby hockeypuck » 09 Jan 2019, 07:05

1390granitecitysports.com / river967.com
Brett Larson Show: January 7th, 2019

Scoring change before the last game- Jimmy Schuldt also at 100 pts!
Jimmy actually beat Robby to 100 pts! Newell from 95 to 94 pts.

Blake Lizotte should be back according to coach.

Player guests Patrick Newell and Will Hammer.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 15 Jan 2019, 07:50

Player guests were Luke Jaycox and Nick Perbix.
Fitzgerald will be out a few weeks-undetermined - upper body, Benson - lower body- should be back before that.

Coach discussed both Friday and Saturday games at Duluth and the upcoming series with W Mich. W Mich very fast so we need to clog up the middle and neutral zone. Puck possession is essential.

Jaycox from Warroad and Perbix from Elk River, discussed their hometowns, section championships in Duluth, Warroad vs Roseau rivalry, Warroad vs TRF- Bushy, and their hobbies (Jaycox a plumber, woodworker. jack of all trades, works at a resort in the summer, enjoys fixing things) etc.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Husky1 » 15 Jan 2019, 11:36

hockeypuck wrote:Player guests were Luke Jaycox and Nick Perbix.
Fitzgerald will be out a few weeks-undetermined - upper body, Benson - lower body- should be back before that.

Coach discussed both Friday and Saturday games at Duluth and the upcoming series with W Mich. W Mich very fast so we need to clog up the middle and neutral zone. Puck possession is essential.

Jaycox from Warroad and Perbix from Elk River, discussed their hometowns, section championships in Duluth, Warroad vs Roseau rivalry, Warroad vs TRF- Bushy, and their hobbies (Jaycox a plumber, woodworker. jack of all trades, works at a resort in the summer, enjoys fixing things) etc.

Thanks for the recap! I thought Fitz had a broken collarbone and would be out until playoff time? Maybe Larson is just playing it a bit closer to the vest?
Husky1
1st Line

Unread postby hockeypuck » 17 Jan 2019, 11:07

hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Sid » 17 Jan 2019, 21:42

Can anyone get the Jan 14 show to work? I get a "404 Not Found" message.
Sid
Redshirt

Unread postby hockeypuck » 17 Jan 2019, 21:57

It worked the other day when I set the link. I can email the station to check it out.
Here's the podomatic link...
https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/gran ... 1_19-08_00

It wasn't working earlier but for some reason it's working now when I tried it again. Must be a server comm issue.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Sid » 17 Jan 2019, 22:25

Thanks, that link worked.
Sid
Redshirt

Unread postby scsu21 » 18 Jan 2019, 15:31

Thanks for posting the links to the show when they are available. greatly appreciated.
scsu21
1st Line

Unread postby hockeypuck » 21 Jan 2019, 19:27

Nice Sweep. Felt like we had a nice complete weekend. Even game between two top teams. Feeling out, great goaltending. Played very well, just like Duluth the previous weekend. Game could have gone either way. Saturday I thought we stepped it up a little bit.
Two fast teams, Courtnall jeeze he's fast... prepped for it all week. Good transition team. Friday they had a couple odd man rushes. Not even on bad turnovers...
How much are you in love with the Poehling Poehling Poehling line. They push each other, expect a lot of each other, fight with each other, it's nice to have them. They had 42 goals in High School with Lakeville North. Nice first non-empty net goal. 19 shots on goal that period. Micah Miller gets his first goal. We created a neat line. Made new line with Nick at center and on one shift and they scored. Use both centers on the PP so had to come up with a line after the PP is over.
The whole arena was silent when Hrenak went down with the cramp. His goal Saturday night was a breakthrough goal. 17 guys got a shot on goal. Unique thing , we would have never had these lines without the injuries. Even though forced into these changes we like them. Speaks to the depth the team. Mika Ilvonen had a great weekend a lot of little subtle things.
3-0 Friday night. Jim- What did you think of the elbow Friday night, think it was a major or happy with the minor? Larson- I thought it was borderline. Break -----
Radio Audio replay---Miller Hentges to Miller off the rebound! Scores!!

Presented the puck to Micah, all the players were happy, went to the refs to save the puck. No restrictor plate on Saturday. Ticked off our players when the first goal scorer celebrated in front of our bench. Tell our players not acceptable to do that.
... hit the knob, hit the stick, hit the post hit everything but the net. So many guys are playing so well how do you pick one over the other? I think that's how they came up with Jimmy.
To me our forwards, how do you pick one over the other. I think they all bring something, they all have roles for it's hard for me to pick.
Aside from the numbers, how do you see the maturity of the freshmen? Nolan did a great job at each of their jobs, same with Sam. They've developed where they help wherever you put them.
Sacrifice, all 3 players made the save. A local businessman asked for picture of that for his company as an example of team sacrifice. You always run into hot goalies.
Going on the road to North Dakota! Break-----

Audio Radio equalizing goal Saturday, Jack Poehling feed to Blake Lizotte he scores!!!
Win a period, 4 goals in one period? Coach- we are always striving for a 60 minute game.
We always played on a rink in Duluth, Merritt Park in Duluth, we went from rink to rink to rink getting kicked off for various practices. That's what we did growing up. Up till 5th grade a block, 6th grade 5 blocks. Played till they shut off lights and walked home. Mites through Peewees still practice outside. My wife likes the inside practices here.
Jacob Benson injury, we'll have to see when he comes back. Other players playing well. He should be back before Fitzy. We are going into a tough environment. These are the series we look forward to. The fans don't like each other, it's a great atmosphere. Tight games , tough conference. No extra motivation for a team/weekend like this.
Break--- Sam Hentges and Tyler Anderson player guest coming up next...Break-----

Radio audio - Poehling Poehling Poehling goal!
Tyler Anderson and Sam Hentges. Tyler coming off injured wrist from a blocked shot. It was tough. I tore my PCL in practice the other day. Injured again. Tough, smile on face, just have to attack it and get back in there. Patella injury in practice. Participating in practices, what do you think, this it the best team I've ever been on. Watching them all has been amazing. Sam is great, he's a pro skater, great in the locker room.
Sam, update on your season, it's been so much fun. Off the ice everyone gets along so well, off the ice has been so much fun. We are focusing on getting better every day. Sam playing center now. Played it at Totino and a few games at Tri-City. How it the mad house on Hickman, crazy on beer night. How did those games helped you. It should help this weekend. I've been there, toured it but never played there. Centering Micah Miller and Mika Ilvonen. It was great when Micah scored, it was great to see he's such a great kid.
What makes Sam and Tyler click after the break... Break----
Radio Audio--- Micah Miller Saturday goal!!
How much outdoor hockey did you play in Winnipeg? Played all the time outdoors, tournaments.
Sam how about you. Everyday, in New Brighton we were outside, Silver lake road.
I think outdoors is where you develop your creativity. Over the break, saw my friends and family, played hockey outside. Tyler- worked out as much as I can after the injury. Hung out with my dog and family as much as I can. PCL- posterior cruciate ligament We see the mural with the greatest fans in college hockey. Biomedical science major. A lot of post graduate programs I can enter after that. Sam is a business major. Really don't talk about school much. Spencer Meier is a good business mind. Mika is in his masters- has a good business mind. Jimmy is pretty smart. Mika has a good hockey mind and a snappy dresser. Speaks great english, better than I do.
Looking ahead to next weekend after the break. Break------

Pregame from Ralph Engelstadt arena. What do we have to do. Monday we go over our weekend. Learn what we can, evaluate again and move on. Try to get better. Tyler -Close to my hometown. Right on the way. Broncos fan? Tyler- No Vikings fan, Sam is a singer, didn't know that...
That's it for the show... Commercials.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 24 Jan 2019, 13:11

hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 28 Jan 2019, 19:12

Another edition of the Brett Larson show on a chilly Monday. Audio coach 12 12.
Guest Nolan Walker
Huskies have only swept ND twice. Get a minimum of a split. Letting something slip away was hard, don't feel good coming home.
Didn't have the sniffles, couldn't keep anything down. Mika, Robby and Jack. Erickson- what do you try to do in those situations with the team. Coach- Try to quarantine. Parents drove them home so all 3 aren't on the bus.
What did you think of the Friday game, down 1-0 after one. Only gave up 5 shots so wasn't as clean but got the bus legs out and ready to go. 2nd period and 3rd period were Husky hockey. Even PP didn't produce but got momentum. Scored right after the PP. 6 of the last 11 wins Huskies have scored late goal going into the third. The goal being disallowed gave us momentum. Used it as fuel, we had a huge push from then on. Opened up and surrounded the puck. They spared no expense, but the graphics for the officials screen , the couldn't tell if it was netting or white to overturn it. Erickson- Off-sides anyway? Larson- Very close.
3rd period , continuation of the 2nd period. Larson- If we win I like to listen to it, if we lose I don't like to.
We made ND have to defend most of the period. Played our style. Play created by Nolan Walker, puck on sticks, sticks on sticks. Give Nick Oliver the credit for working on stick on stick and creating angles. Heart but not reckless. Nick worked with them on that. Great to see hard work pay off. Seemed like he played the whole game the next game. Only 9 players playing fwd. Players nicked up.
The Schuldt hit looked way worse live. No intent, didn't stick the leg out. A borderline penalty, a lot of emotion up there. One thing I've learned you see things differently depending on what side your on. Next we'll talk the Saturday game. Back home this weekend.
Break------
Radio Audio- up to center Perbix, hands it up to Walker to Miller he scores!
Get free cheese curds. Score 6 win 6 wings specials here.
When did you get word 3 were sick. Robby was late in the Friday game. Mika just as the game. Jack later they couldn't even smell food.
Saturday how did it go? In pregame said keep it simple. We gifted them 4 goals. We could only roll 3 lines and they rolled 4. We turned way too many pucks over. We didn't play we needed to, execute. Never a lack of effort. But for some reason we didn't have the mental sharpness.
Wasn't their top lines, they loaded up their top line. We had Jimmy and John against that line. In the 2nd we were playing really well until their goal. Their 2nd goal have a big flurry by SCSU. A lot of it was on us, we weren't able to execute our game plan.
Coming out in the 3rd period. At the beginning we had them on their heals. Still confident but then deflated after the next goal. Lot of blocked shots. But then they had the puck too much if we are blocking a lot of shots.
Composure, we are not going to let them get us rattled. They were trying to bait Jimmy Schuldt. Biggest worry is getting kicked out for the next game. We don't want to do that.
Brendan Bushy and Nolan Walker are the player guests. They are giving tours right now.
Break-----
Radio Audio --Steal, takeaway, scores... Patrick Newell!
Patrick took a stick to the chin and gets a penalty. Really smart, doesn't take a lot, because of his quickness.
Miami is having a hard time. Really can't overlook anyone in this league. They have pride. Hate to play someone when they are desperate. Doing a something a little different on the PP. Anything injuries etc? They played us pretty tough.
I am a fan of the early games. I don't mind the 6pm, once in a while the 4 oclock. 6 seems to be the one everyone likes. Good for the road teams not waiting around in the hotel all day. Try to get everyone healthy. I'll work on that. Drink some orange juice. Not sure if that'll help. Thanks coach! Player guests after the break.
Break----
Radio Audio -Blake Lizotte behind the goal, Newell, Scheel and Schuldt scores - SH goal.
Coach is leaving so I can break out the rankings now.
Feel free to congratulate being #1.
Do you players pay attention to it. Nolan, not really. How you doing. You look like John Belushi, don't know who that is. Get out the Samurai sword. Brendan Bushy, what about the little Ralph to play HS hockey in. Section Champions in the past. Lucky enough to be section champs.
Little brother still committed? Oh yeah. Oh yeah. He's a junior now.
Anchorage you are close enough to the ocean. Fairbanks is cold. I checked and it was 26F so that's good for me. Golf course. Both parents listening tonight. Both parents listening. 45 minute drive to Grand Forks. Nolan- my parents are coming this weekend. Hi mom and dad.
Twitter, Instagram all the boys are Snap, need to be tech savvy, any Facebook,Bushy- No, I don't have it, that's for parents.
The opposing noise and crowd, a little intimidating at first, fine after the first.
Definitely cool to play there. Never anything like this with the student section, have to respect the passion. Seeing all those green jerseys. As a player you like to have the city behind you? Bushy- always.
Finance major, is that contagious? I guess so. Military Academy- Learn time mgt, study time, learn uniform, room, school, rigorous schedule. Played reveille every am.
Bushy- love history. Erickson -Some period of time interest? Bushy- WW2. Erickson- the greatest generous. Bushy- A lot of stuff to cover , I think it's pretty interesting.
Huskies will be hosting Miami this weekend. 7:07 and 6:07 pregame a 1/2 before.
Break----
Welcome back. Skate with Huskies. Nice game packs. Want to see the #1 team in the nation.
Erickson- Sounds like no classes for the next two days. Still have practice? Brendan -Be done at 1 and then play fort-nite. Erickson -Can you both floss? Nolan- I can.
Erickson -Fort-nite -Why is it so big? Nolan -I don't know, it's so hard to win, satisfaction in killing people and being the last one left. Brendan-You can dance anytime you want. Do you do the Carlton? Brendan- I don't know what that is. Perbs and I started Game of thrones season 6. We watch with Clark, John and Jimmy at the farm. Freshman will get rooms together.
Everything is so tough in this conference. Getting a split on the road. Hopefully come back this week and get a sweep. Erickson -Nolan is on fire now, leading conference in assists. Top scorer in the NCHC. Erickson-Do you like wing or center? Nolan- I like center a lot supporting the wings. I like wherever they need me. Brendan-He always finds a way to get on the score sheet. Smart player. Nolan-I was watching Blake Lizotte, the water bug. I was watching clips on him, where his stick it on the fore-check. Working on that. Watching video and trying to translate that on the ice.
Erickson- Was it as physical as expected? Nolan- I thought it was fairly physical. Brendan-We expected it, nothing we didn't expect except at the end of the game. Nolan-Second time this year stomach flu has gone around. Lot of emergency vitamin C. Need to use separate water bottles.
Don't have school Tues or Wed. No class on Friday. Blake has class on Friday. Erickson- Apologize to him... Nolan- he wants to be an athletic director. Erickson-Apologize to him for me. Coach emphasizes that when the times get tough sticking together. I think the boys will be buzzing this weekend. Olympic ice helps, we want to get these games and try to get a sweep. More points.
Nolan- More physical on NHL ice, all our losses are on NHL ice. Good job Nolan and good job first time Brendan Bushy. That's it...
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 04 Feb 2019, 13:50

river967.com Posted 1Feb19
The Brett Larson Show Monday January 28
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 04 Feb 2019, 20:08

Mike Gibbons filling in for Brett Larson.

Player guests were Jack Ahcan and Tyler Anderson.
Mike thought Nolan Walker should be ok. Talked about Miami and Colorado College.
Jack a real estate business major. Tyler talked about his injuries and assessed their weekend play.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Sid » 04 Feb 2019, 23:40

Did Mike mention what Jack did or if he has to sit out any more games?
Sid
Redshirt

Unread postby Boomer » 05 Feb 2019, 02:53

No. Nobody said much about this. Mike Gibbons did say that the decision for Saturday's game was made by Brett Larson. ---There sure has been a bunch of guesses as to what is going on, but I haven't seen anything factual describing the 10 min misconduct and DQ. Gibbons did think that Nolan Walker would be ready to play against CC.

Jack Ahcan was asked how he plays when opponents lie down on the ice to take away passes. "You just skate around them." When asked about his goal this weekend, Ahcan stated that "it was nice to help out Patrick Newell in getting his 100th career point."

Because of CBSSN, the Friday game won't start until 8:08 pm. Host Jim Erickson heard an audible gasp from the "elderly" table sitting up front. Erickson never missed a beat and said, "well Bob, you will just have to get a nap in before the game." I will notify Robert Mueller re: 'elder abuse' if I can remember. . .
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hockey