Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

2018-19 Brett Larson Show

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!

Unread postby hockeypuck » 10 Oct 2018, 21:00

1390granitecitysports.com via 96.7 FM The River or river967.com
BRETT LARSON SHOW: OCTOBER 8TH, 2018
Player guests Jacob Benson and Jimmy Schuldt

Tyler Anderson out 8-10 weeks with an upper body injury
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Re: 2018-19 Brett Larson Show

Unread postby Boomer » 11 Oct 2018, 01:32

Lots of people at the first Brett Larson Show, checking out the new SCSU hockey coach.

Has a lot of coaching expertise already in front of the mic. Best comment of the evening when answering veteran pbp and affable radio personality Jim Erickson's question about the the expanded role he now has as the head coach. "Well, there is more stuff to do as a head coach that I didn't have to do while an assistant coach. Like now I have to answer questions from you, Jim."

Larson also did the coachy thing by saying all six of the freshmen looked good.

My observations on the first game:
-Luke Jaycox looked good, played well positionally, and was physical.
-After alternate captain Jon Lizotte spent some time talking to referee Brad Shepard about some of the stick infractions by Mount Royal, it kind of worked. But the next three penalties were all called on Huskies!
-Freshmen that looked very good to me were forward Nolan Walker and defenseman Nick Perbix.

Coach Larson mentioned that Blake Lizotte impressed him from the first practice. He also impressed the coach and most everyone else in the building during the exhibition game last Sunday.
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 15 Oct 2018, 19:08

Player guests 15 Oct 18 were Kevin Fitzgerald and Blake Lizotte
Review of the Alaska road trip, Patrick Newell NCHC offensive player of the week. A little of coach Brett Larson's youth playing career and how he ended up at UMD. Deciding which player's play each night. Something Brett has never heard before since he started coaching... Coach- "David you played really great tonight but I'm starting Jeff Smith tonight". David- "Coach, Jeff Smith is a really good goalie".
Player guests talked about each other's play, playing with their lines, Patrick Newell, coaching soccer, the road trip, movies they saw on the plane, how they got there this evening.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby HuskyFan64 » 15 Oct 2018, 20:34

Hahaha, David rules!
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Boomer » 16 Oct 2018, 02:23

I asked coach Larson before the show if he thought freshman Sam Hentges had a chance for a NCAA penalty record this year. His quick reply--"Not a chance. If the penalty numbers stay high, he will find some space on the bench!" He did say that Hentges does not have a history of lots of penalties, and the coach thought that both games were VERY closely officiated. He doubts that in a few weeks, half of the calls at Fairbanks would still be penalties.
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 16 Oct 2018, 17:29

podomatic.com
Brett Larson Show: October 15th, 2018
by Granite City Sports 43m 32s Publish date October 16, 2018
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 22 Oct 2018, 18:38

22 Oct 18
Jim Erickson - talking Husky Hockey, Team is 4 and 0 to start the season.
Here is Mike Gibbons- Hi
Coach Larson is impressed . Let's make some noise, sign for Mike - applause for me not real.
Team dominance, it was a clinic. Gibbons the standard we want to play, except for penalties, no down time, clips put together for each line, we talk about the top line but for us it's all four lines.
Friday Northern's top line had a few chances. It's like a heavyweight boxing match. Like in Alaska Body blow, then by the third period it opens up and you can finish those chances.
Coach Larson talked about a hockey play by Nolan to Jon Lizotte. Jon made that play and another hockey play by Jake Wahlin to make that play.
We were excited and played very well. Weren't complaining over anything. If you take away the penalties they dominated. We have to watch the penalties. Need to roll the lines and the defensive pairs.
Some passion about that call against Jack Ahcan. After a few days what is your opinion. The same, didn't think it was a penalty. It happens every year they buckle down and call every single thing. I was a little upset. If warranted we would get on Jack but come on.
We teach our players to angle the player.
Does the ref have a defensive accumen? No comment.
Break--------------------------------------------
Brodzinski out of the box. Poehling back door Jackson, Brodzinski on the rebound Audio...
Cheese curds Monday. Double cheese curds. Score six win six. Free wings along with purchase of a meal and beverage.
Great crowds and energy in the building Friday night and again Saturday. It was exciting to feel the energy. Hrenak and Smith didn't see a lot of action but kept their focus. Coach helped them keep their focus. Be prepared to steal a game and the d to help. Good about not complaining about the refs. After on the radio I can rant about the refs. Good radio.
We switch over to the game Saturday night. No penalties suffocating defense. Only giving up 10 SOG to N Mich a contender in the WCHA. Feather in the cap. Forwards were very effective in chasing them down and cycling down low getting them tired. Speed kills and depth. Pressure line after line , best shift was 2nd period Blake Lizotte Patty Newell and Hentges and then the next line does the same. Patrick Newell is unleashed. Shift after shift, speed and 10 pounds is a lot when you're a buck twenty.
It's critical seniors have good years. Another guy is Jack Ahcan. Jack came out and thought he would sign a pro contract his freshman year. He's been up and down and has some good mojo right now.
Jimmy Schuldt is also jumping in. He is going to get his goals. He's the heart and soul of this team. He's going to shoot it now. Now maybe he's aiming. Maybe his confidence is up now. He can get it going.
Brodzinski knows where to go, has a good shot, he's a Brodzinski. We need to stay consistent. Only 3 or 4 teams are undefeated.
Thursday and Saturday games in Boston. Going to be crazy with the World Series, flying into a frenzy out there.
Break---------------------------------------------------------
Audio - There's a BLAST, goal!!! There's Schuldt, right off the faceoff!

Short week here. After Alaska and all that how is it? Am I on now-Gibby? Are you? What was the question. My question is who made the schedule? Are you a conspiracy theorist. Anyway, we've seen the continent. Now we have Alaska, Boston now we need Hawaii. This will be a challenge. I wish people would have seen them against Quinnipiac. They are very talented. THey are a proud program. So it's going to be a terrific challenge and a fun challenge. 10 NHL players,but their better players are not drafted, small, fast.
They have some losses. But 1 game here, one game there. It's a different way they play the one game. We're not used to the single games. Remember game time is 7 ET Thurs and Sat which is 6 pm Central time.
Break---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Audio - Jackson Schuldt play catch, Brodzinski rebound and Poehling scores!!!

David Hrenak and Jeff Smith. Only give up 1 goal combined. David how was Friday night. Defense made it much easier for us. Started off the weekend strong and Jeff's the closer. What are you doing to stay focused when Huskies are dominating. Games are tough, but you have to stay focused. Do you have divine thoughts, the lights are flickering. Uh oh. Have you given up a goal from half ice. No, I don't think so.
What classes are you taking David. Microeconomics. What are you learning? Cheese curds good or bad investment. GOOD. What are you going to do after graduation. Going to be a big businessman. A lot of people like him.
Jim Erickson -Jeff you're a senior, what's your approach scholastically? Jeff -Business Mgt major. Jim- Jeff Smith with the shutout. 3rd shutout , one with UMass freshman year against Northeastern. Hopefully a good omen.
Break----------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder game times again.
Jim- you had an assist Jeff. Guy rimmed it, I got a stick on it and it went to Ahcan and he got it to Fitzy.
He practices that in practice, hit his feet. Those shots are tough and tough to control. Not a bad play to shoot from tough angles.
Jim Erickson repeats what Coach Larson said earlier, David - "Coach, Jeff is a good goaltender". David - Jeff has showed me a lot. Schmitty great leadership in the locker room. We have a really good group of guys. That should mean something. Jeff -Zevnik great goalie and really good friends and the best teammate.
Hrenak favorite NHL team? St Louis, Bruins Halak and the Slovakian players , Smith maybe LA? Drafted by LA
BREAK------------------------------------------
1.25 Goals against. Jim Erickson- David-What was the draft process like? David- It Started last season. Last year, the guys made me feel really good. Jim-Did you know they were looking at you? David- No , a few other teams though. I really like LA- development camp. Jim- What are the keys to this weekend Jeff? Jeff- Just keep doing what we're doing.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 30 Oct 2018, 06:27

I missed the Brett Larson show last night and I couldn't find any new audio podcasts on river967.com or 1390granitecitysports.com or podomatic.com for 22Oct or last night.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 05 Nov 2018, 20:58

Still no shows on podomatic.com granitecitysports.com or river967.com.
I listened to about 3/4 of the show on my way home from work.
Nick Oliver filled in for Brett Larson. Player guests were Robby Jackson and Mika Ilvonen.
Discussed the weekend in CC and the upcoming series with Denver.
Nice road trip with the sweep. Travel taking the toll on the team, nice to get back to a normal routine practice wise at home. Some big comeback wins, Erickson made an analogy to the Avenger's (coming back from behind) and Robby went with it, Hulk Smash, Iron Man (?) and Brodzinski Shoot!
Discussed Mika coming back and how each thought the weekend went. Robby offered to do color for the second period. Erickson said it wasn't in the river 96.7 budget, maybe some popcorn but Robby mentioned the NCAA wouldn't allow it-violation. Erickson said he would probably have to regurgitate it.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 12 Nov 2018, 19:55

I found last week's show but none of the others...
Brett Larson Show: November 5th, 2018

Didn't start listening till about 25 min in. Coach Larson talking about the grit/fight on this team. A little bit about the show coming up with Brett Larson and Bemidji Coach Tom Serratore.
Player guests are Easton Brodzinski and Kevin Fitzgerald.
Audio of the game winning goal by Kevin Fitzgerald.
Introductions - braving this November cold. Give us a view of that play Fitzgerald. Easton- He found a soft area of the ice. He put that shot to use.
Erickson- The comebacks and falling behind. 4 games in a row now. Fitzgerald - keeping it interesting. Don't like falling behind.
Easton- Power play really clicking now. Great group of guys, they shoot at my stick and it goes in. It's clicking right now. Erickson- CC you had a goal. Easton- I took a lane and no one came to me so I took it.
Jackson wrist shot instead of one timer. Everyone was surprised, even me.
Jim Erickson- Nick Poehling ate a can of spinach, puck was below their red line for quite a while. The tenacity line. Make some t-shirts. NCAA violation.Erickson- Are you Reff-ing soccer? Kevin- no Reff-ing intramural hockey. I know the rules. Tyler Anderson does it, David Hrenak does it. Full pads except two guys that wore sweatpants and sweatshirts. 2 minutes and one got a puck in the shins.
Kevin- Pretty fun a couple pretty good players on the club team. Also working for Chappy in the ticket office.Kevin- I don't do much just answer the phone. Jim - So does David Hrenak. Are you jealous Easton? Easton- no it's not my thing.
Jim - Can you imitate David? Kevin -yeah,d a ling d a ling- I'm David Hren...laughs.
Break----------------------------------------------------------------------
Audio of the Jackson shot and Easton redirect goal.
Erickson- what do remember? Easton - I was really surprised he (Robby Jackson) didn't shoot. I don't know where it went but it was right on my stick. He made the right play.
5 on 3 and 2 guys broke their sticks. Jim-Anyone see that? No -Kevin, No - Easton, Jim- Are you pressing?
Easton -yeah I think we got in our own heads and were pressing.
Jim- What do you think playing with Micah Miller and Jake Wahlin? Easton- Yeah it's just like playing with Robby and others , I play with everyone.
Depth on all 4 lines. Kevin- It's great, on the PP who do you cover? Jim -What is your mindset on the PK? Kevin- Come out, take lanes away, working together, discipline and reading off of others.
Easton- Practices are really competitive. Every practice is hard and we're working the details and learning a lot.
Erickson-Competition with you and the goalies? Kevin- They don't like it when you score. Jeff and David are talkers, everyone is so competitive. Easton- We let them know when we score.
Break---------------------------------------------------------------------------
SCSU vs Bemidji State this weekend.
Commercials...
St Cloud Country club, check out the ticket office only $10 nice meal and listen to Brett Larson and Tom Serratore.
Erickson- How'd Bryce and Evan Bushy do- at the TRIA rink last weekend? Easton -I think good. What else it going on? A sample of what you are learning. Kevin - Accounting, crunching numbers. Easton - you look like an accountant. Easton- doing some math that's over my head.
See you this weekend SCSU vs Bemidji.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Return to Men's Hockey