Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

23-24Feb18 SCSU Huskies @home vs Denver Pioneers

23-24Feb18 SCSU Huskies @home vs Denver Pioneers

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!

Re: 23-24Feb18 SCSU Huskies @home vs Denver Pioneers

Unread postby mikecgrimes » 24 Feb 2018, 23:38

2 really fun games, it's that time of year anything but a blowout loss is fun. I think the Huskies clinched the top overall seed no matter what. Although we learned two years ago when you play a conference tourney winner you play a team that has figured out how to beat good teams.
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread postby hockeypuck » 25 Feb 2018, 02:38

mikecgrimes wrote:2 really fun games, it's that time of year anything but a blowout loss is fun. I think the Huskies clinched the top overall seed no matter what. Although we learned two years ago when you play a conference tourney winner you play a team that has figured out how to beat good teams.

I thought that team looked ahead to the frozen four and overlooked Ferris State a bit. Dave Starman noted that game also. Starman said the same thing a week or two ago. He noted that this team plays with a sense of urgency this year because of it.
In the old WCHA we saw 3 or 4 trapping teams (UAA, Wisconsin, Bemidji State) and lately being in the NCHC we haven't seen that much. Ferris State's 1-2-2 gave us fits in that game and we got behind early (one was a tough uncharacteristic miscommunication miscue by our D)- always tough against a trap.
SCSU still was able to battle back from 2 down to tie it. They then lost on a set play off of an o-zone face-off in OT. Gerald Mayhew is pretty darn fast, I still remember the Jerry, Jerry chants and the Jared VanWormer's followup rebound on Charlie Lindgren.
Big big learning experience for these Jr's and Sr's. I've really noticed the urgency of the fwd's back-checking lately. Puck support is so crucial to our D. We are also a lot more disciplined in our breakouts.

I still run across Gerald Mayhew's stats all the time since he has played for the Iowa Wild since then.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 25 Feb 2018, 03:55

hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby jazzam » 25 Feb 2018, 12:49

Glad I made the drive to the arena in the snowstorm. Well worth it

Looks like Bob is going to ride Hrenak the rest of the year, I can get behind that!

Great game last night, nice to see Ryan score on the breakaway. Noticed him all over the ice in all zones.

Looking forward to next week and then on to the playoffs.
jazzam
Redshirt

Previous

Return to Men's Hockey