10-12Mar17 NCHC First Round Playoffs SCSU @ North Dakota

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Mar 2017, 15:16

Borgan not only let his team down, but made the school look bad. He did the crime now he has to do the time. Hopefully he learns from this and understands he needs to keep cool on the ice.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Mar 2017, 16:23

The team needed to calm a bit. But the officials lost complete control of that game. CC's coach has been doing this crap consistently. He needs to be reprimanded as well. 3 hits from behind, a knee-on-knee, and continuous joint slashing is not cool. CC should have spent the whole game in the box.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Mar 2017, 16:28

I also don't understand why Kuster hasn't seen ice all year (expecially when our D wasn't doing great at the start). I thought he was pretty good. I also would've moved Ill up to forward and sat big Ben.
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Mar 2017, 18:10

I think they want to redshirt Kuster as we are losing 2 D for sure and as of now are not bringing in any next season.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
FalcoBro8
1st Line

Unread post 07 Mar 2017, 18:16

Rabid_Husky wrote:I think they want to redshirt Kuster as we are losing 2 D for sure and as of now are not bringing in any next season.
Hes being redshirted.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Mar 2017, 20:03

Ah, that makes sense. I guess Mika will get some ice time then.
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread post 07 Mar 2017, 23:11

Borgen was getting two there was no way around that, it's just a shame how badly those officials lost control of things in that game, and then they do that to the one guy who has no self control. It was comical how far out of their way the refs went to not call any additional penalties on CC after the 5-3 during the major. If you miss or ignore a trip or a hook I might complain but in the end who cares. When it's plays that could easily cause injury it's a real problem. Let the boys do there thing and then call the penalties yanking guys out of these things as stuff is still going on in a one sided fashion as you can only yank one guy out at a time is never gonna end well. Borgen let his teammates down and the fans as that was a bad penalty to take but lets get real his problem is he directed at the wrong person. Far worse things were going on all night. Either player safety is a focus or it isn't. Saturday night it wasn't.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Mar 2017, 00:52

I went back and looked at the whole sequence again. Borgen made a nice play behind the net back to Jackson who put a one timer right on LeClerc. Jackson was getting hooked and held onto the entire time by #9 Rothstein. Peterson made a late knife in to break the puck free when the whistle went. Peterson took off behind the net. #9 Rothstein follows Peterson behind the net and two hand tomohawks his right skate. Jackson flips the puck in the net. Borgen comes around front. LeClerc gets up and skates up to Borgen. Borgen raises his stick to keep LeClerc at distance. In response LeClerc tomohawks the back left calf of Borgen. Borgen cross checks LeClerc in the chest. #10 Ockey does a double rowing motion swing to Borgen with his stick defending LeClerc when the ref jumps in between them takes Borgen pointing straight to the box. Borgen looks like he is trying to explain to the ref when the ref continues to push him in the chest towards the box. As the ref is dealing with Borgen Achan takes a swing at #10 who is barking at Borgen. Borgen gets upset and pushes the refs shoulder and gestures he didn't mean it and tries to explain LeClerc's slash to his back leg. The ref tells him to go. Borgen tries to explain one more time and the ref gestures out again. Borgen takes off backwards talks and points at the ref as he leaves. Whole thing from 4:00- 3:56 when the whistle blew left in the third.
Penalties were Rothstein slash, Achan roughing and Borgen slash (probably the cross check)and the 10 min game misconduct for touching the ref.
Borgen was still hot from the penalty he took at 9:23 when I described the whole jumping in front of Michaud at the bench and he was barking at the ref. They were killing a penalty and he rubbed Michaud out and Michaud dropped his stick but then grabbed Borgens. Borgen then accelerated and jumped in front of Michaud and tried to throw him into the bench. They both got roughing penalties.
Kehoe had done the same thing several times Friday night. Someone did it early to Newell in the Sat game too. Go for a line change, see someone coming up behind them and quick jump in front of them impeding their path. Rothstein hit several guys in open ice with no one around or tomohawked them from behind with no calls.
#12 Bryce Van Horn (4th line RW) kneed Eyssimont with 6:44 left in the first- no call and he stuck his leg out coming across as Eyssimont was cutting to the middle. #8 Luc Gerdes clearly trips Peterson no call 5:38 left in the first. Probably started with the interference call on Borgen at 3:39 left in the first, Borgen cuts to the net and trips Gerdes from behind as Gerdes is cutting across defending Ryan Poehling.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Mar 2017, 16:27

Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Mar 2017, 17:38

IMO Borgen deserved the two games. In ANY sport, you just don't lay hands on the official. Yes, the reffing Sat. nite was bad--someone "close" to the program stated Monday night that he thought they missed 4 possible major penalties. Non-calls are what brings out the frustration and incidents like the end of Sat's game. The crosscheck to Nevalainen was obvious--and I thought he broke his leg when it happened. No call. The knee on knee to Eyssimont was a terrible non-call--intent to injure. The refs lost control of the game and that puts the health and well being of all the players on the ice in jeopardy.

Widman will be getting ice time this weekend, and believe he will play just fine. Think we will be in big trouble if Nevalainen joins Borgen on the sidelines. . .
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Mar 2017, 17:55

At the game I missed the Borgen incident because I was watching Ockey and Ahcan go at it. Glad they didn't drop gloves. Looked like both wanted to.
Couple other things I noticed last weekend with the sloppiness in passing. Everyone was passing like lasers with no touch- couldn't control or catch them. We did the same thing against North Dakota earlier in the year at home, too pumped up or too much adrenaline.
Eyssimont was overhandling the puck quite a bit, even Parrish mentioned it at the end of the game. Guys need to relax and not force it.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Mar 2017, 21:40

Schlossman's UND hockey blog
Weekly Wednesday Update
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Mar 2017, 22:25

LeClerc chopping Borgen in back of the knee.

THE NCHC SUSPENDS WILL BORGEN FOR TWO GAMES

Borgen Isn’t a Victim
...In my opinion, a two-game suspension is too short. Borgen should have been given a longer suspension. If I was the commissioner, Borgen wouldn’t touch the ice again this season and he’d miss the first series of the next season.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 09 Mar 2017, 00:40

LOL. Of course Goon thinks it should be more. He's the biggest Homer on the planet, and he wants the advantage against us, should we go to 3 or make it to Minneapolis. But when his players do something, suddenly they're an innocent victim.
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread post 09 Mar 2017, 09:01

Wow arguing for up to a 7 game suspension for that. What happens if next season a North Dakota player does slightly worse in January? I suppose if you didn't always have to deal with these things overly harshly I could hear his argument for no suspension.