Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

Game-day Experience

Game-day Experience

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!

Game-day Experience

Unread postby zipperlip » 29 Oct 2016, 10:53

SCSU and the fans need to up their game it comes to game-day experience. I'v been attending games for over 20 years, and it's become zombie-like. People are just going through the motions. No creative traditional chants, no band, the same "jock jams" piped-in music. The worst tradition is our "sieve" goal song. It's the worst goal celebration is college hockey. Ok, maybe not, but it's pretty bad.

We've never had that true collegiate atmosphere like, Minnesota, Duluth, or North Dakota. I miss the 90's at SCSU ... the band, the fans, the student body. It was way different back then.
zipperlip
Redshirt

Re: Game-day Experience

Unread postby scsutommyboy » 30 Oct 2016, 11:11

Lol, this argument has been going on for 20+ years. The problem is most locals don''t care about hockey and many of the one's that do show up but are older and won't be as loud as they use to be. The student section is about half the size it was when I was a freshman in 1992-1993 season. The school took seats away as student interest got less and less. I doubt it will ever be the same. Times change for the good or bad it does no good to complaine wbout it.
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mikecgrimes » 30 Oct 2016, 12:07

It's amazing how few students take advantage of free tickets to elite college hockey. I know you have to be pretty committed to it once it gets cold to make the walk from the dorms to the rink as it is about a mile but it's no different then how far you walk from an average parking spot for a Wild game. As silly as it is for those of us that made that walk every chance we got maybe a bus from the dorms could get an extra 50 to 100 students which would make a world of difference. All that said I'm more concerned about them selling more seats. It's a shame the why the schedule worked out this week as we play NCHC teams pretty close to the order they will finish so as the excitement heats up the opponents will get worse and worse, Put this Duluth series at the end of January and if we're anywhere close in the standings it would probably sell out. It is what it is though, if people don't want to pay $30 to watch college hockey what can you do. Charging $10 a seat to try to fill the seats makes no financial sense and probably wouldn't work as well as it seems anyways. I will agree the arena isn't rocking as much as it used to but then again these days I don't care as much about those things and while I'll make some noise for good plays and hard work unless it's a goal or a big hit (who cares if it's effective) half the people have no clue why it was a good play worthy of noise.
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread postby HuskyFan64 » 30 Oct 2016, 14:35

See, and I was gonna say the opposite; the students are always into it and loud with creative chants, plus SCSU has REALLY stepped up the experience this year.
Lights on the ice girls' skates and a GD light-up SMOKE MACHINE, so cool!! And the music is always being tweaked to keep up with the times plus unique intros every year. Also: beer sales at all games lol
And seriously, Rock 'n Roll Pt. 2 is THE best Goal Song in hockey, nothing better than Sieveing an opposing goaltender! :D

Also, this was THE worst weekend to base the game-day experience on, a 2 win non-conference opponent from the south sandwiched between 2 Series against in-state rivals. I actually thought we had a solid crowd considering, even though it was pretty quiet at points.

And lol at saying the goofs have a better college hockey atmosphere, unless you like sitting in a dead-quiet empty rink.
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Boomer » 31 Oct 2016, 00:38

I have seen every home SCSU Husky Hockey game since 1985. Only can recall a band at the game on isolated instances--and never remember it being very good.

Atmosphere? Did you happen to witness the gopher game at the NHC last week? Awesome crowd.

I like the home atmosphere when our coach and his system of up and down play dominates. Or every year being able to enjoy the new recruits and marvel at their skills. I like several appearances in the national tournament recently. I like watching "Family Poehling" this year. I really like that SCSU hockey has become a national powerhouse the last several years, high in the rankings, winning league championships, and this year have a player known as "The Rat."

I like the veteran PA guy Chuck Clausen and his unique individual style. I like the hokey rock and roll loud music!
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Pump It Up » 31 Oct 2016, 16:21

I love lamp.
Pump It Up
2nd Line

Unread postby mdneilson » 01 Nov 2016, 01:16

LOL Pump!

"And lol at saying the goofs have a better college hockey atmosphere, unless you like sitting in a dead-quiet empty rink." SPOT ON -- I've watched or attended every game at Mariucci for the last ten years. It is almost always dead. I literally once saw a couple reading a book and newspaper during the game!

Also, I saw the best attendance I've ever seen at the X last spring, and even for the exhibition match this year on a Sunday night. Last weekend also competed with the Chicago Cubs.

Comparing us to UND is almost applies to oranges (I think we all know the advantages that program has). And Duluth has had a killer student section for as long as I can remember, but even it has fallen flat lately.

The defending statements being said, I do agree that SCSU needs to pick up its quality.

Some things are in the works, but the money isn't there yet. Things like the second concourse, removing the old luxury boxes, replacement ice surface, and a new sound system (which has sucked from day 1, because of a poor purchase by Kurtz). These are things they're planning on doing, but have to be done piecemeal and in priority order (which the ice surface tops the list, because of federal regulations).

What can be improved with little to no cost: Throw up a little paint/decor on the un-renovated side. Anything to modernize it a little. Even if it just means moving some of the all-american graphics from the pillars or putting the old NHL jerseys back up. Right now that side is pretty bare. And please, please, please, run a steam wand through the place and clean up the seats.

Improve concessions. Concessions have been gradually improving, but they've really missed the mark with that one. They've brought in an ice cream vendor with a format like coldstone that still just serves kemps. Beer is a huge improvement, and there is good selection, the tents need to take up a little less space though. I'm not sure if the bbq is still there, but they were handcuffed by not being given proper payment options (not sure if that is SCSU or Famous Daves). I'm glad that Sodexo sandwich experiment is gone, that was scary. Anyway, the rink feels very generic when it comes to food. Hell, I can get some better options at the MAC. They need to make it feel like St. Cloud. Kick out Dominos, serve House of Pizza. Ditch the crappy Folgers, offer Muggsy's coffee. Need a sandwich or wings? Bring in Bo Diddley's. You get the point.

Games were more popular in ~2001 (there were maybe 500 people in the rink in the '90s at times). They were popular because the team was very good and games were about the same cost as a movie, the internet was an infant, and they didn't have to compete with HDTV and internet streams. The thing is, people can watch the game anytime, anywhere. They want more than just a game, they want a night, an experience. Cloud is working their way up to it, but the biggest handicap that State has is that they own the rink, and owning vs renting is always more expensive.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby HuskyFan64 » 01 Nov 2016, 09:49

Boomer wrote:I like the veteran PA guy Chuck Clausen and his unique individual style. I like the hokey rock and roll loud music!

Ack, how did I forget to mention Chuck?!

THE best part of the gameday experience (besides, you know, the hockey ;) )!
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Pump It Up » 01 Nov 2016, 10:34

mdneilson wrote:Beer is a huge improvement, and there is good selection, the tents need to take up a little less space though.

You make several excellent points. I only make 2-4 games a year in St. Cloud, but I almost always sit on the north side of the building. Anything they could do to spruce up that concourse would be welcome.

On to my real question: I'll be down in a few weeks for UND. Tell me about the beer. Where are the tents? What are the options and cost? I'm real excited to enjoy some suds at the NHC for the first time.
Pump It Up
2nd Line

Unread postby hockeypuck » 01 Nov 2016, 10:49

The beer tents (Friday, they removed them Saturday and just had line tapes up) are where Domino's used to be just south of the SCSU gear store. They offer Coor's, Coor's lite, Bud, Bud Lite, Mich Golden Lite etc for $6 and some other craft beers I don't remember the names of for $7 ( I think most of them are 20 oz vs 16 oz, not sure).

I think they had one north of the gear store too, not sure if it was there both nights, it was blocking a lot of traffic through that area when they had the basic 10' x 10' or 8 x 8 or whatever they were portable top up canopy in there.

You have to show your ID and get a wristband at the top of the stairs by the new ticket concourse first (next to where they scan entry tickets).

The articles that announced it say 3.2 beer in the main concourses and wine in the suites.
Chartwells is the University's food service vendor.
Last Jan 1st with Sodexo it was... The beer available includes a 16-ounce Coors or Coors Light or a 12-ounce Blue Moon.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby zipperlip » 05 Nov 2016, 19:57

Boomer wrote:I have seen every home SCSU Husky Hockey game since 1985. Only can recall a band at the game on isolated instances--and never remember it being very good.

Atmosphere? Did you happen to witness the gopher game at the NHC last week? Awesome crowd.

I like the home atmosphere when our coach and his system of up and down play dominates. Or every year being able to enjoy the new recruits and marvel at their skills. I like several appearances in the national tournament recently. I like watching "Family Poehling" this year. I really like that SCSU hockey has become a national powerhouse the last several years, high in the rankings, winning league championships, and this year have a player known as "The Rat."

I like the veteran PA guy Chuck Clausen and his unique individual style. I like the hokey rock and roll loud music!

They had a band when I was there from 89-94. Morris claimed they were a victim of budget cuts, but I think the real reason they cut the band was because fans would spell f**k Y*U instead of HUSKIES during the school song. The band was no joke. They played well and they were loud. Most of the boosters that I associate with want more of a collegiate scene and not NHL-lite. But I appreciate the quality of the program. I'll always follow the Huskies.
zipperlip
Redshirt

Unread postby hockeypuck » 06 Nov 2016, 14:06

Pump It Up wrote:On to my real question: I'll be down in a few weeks for UND. Tell me about the beer. Where are the tents? What are the options and cost? I'm real excited to enjoy some suds at the NHC for the first time.

With all of the timeouts in the 2nd period (icing and tv back to back) I had a chance to write them down...

Table and line just south of the Husky store on the west end of the arena.

$6-
12 oz Coors Lite
12 oz Coors Banquet

12 oz Miller Light
12 oz Miller High Life
12 oz Grain Belt Premium

12 oz Budweiser
12 oz Bud Lite
12 oz Michelob Ultra
12 oz Mich Golden Light

$7-
16 oz Redd's Apple Ale
16 oz Minnesota Gold Light Lager
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mikecgrimes » 04 Sep 2017, 20:52

As we were discussing ticket sales and attendance I found it interesting to reread through this thread I've now been a season ticket for significantly longer then I was a student and at this point I only care about increasing attendance and revenue. My conclusion is the arena is slightly bigger then the crowd this team typically draws and that's OK. I wish they could move the walls in to make it feel like a full house even with 3500 people as a full house is a full house no matter the crowd size, but it would sort of be odd if we were like North Dakota and sold out games against Colgate. The leg room can be nice anyways.
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread postby mdneilson » 05 Sep 2017, 23:46

I miss the older days when it was more full, but I more miss the atmosphere. The student sections are mostly flat, and rarely stick around. The department has been doing a good job of getting more of them to show to all events though, so that's a plus!
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby zipperlip » 08 Sep 2017, 11:04

mikecgrimes wrote:As we were discussing ticket sales and attendance I found it interesting to reread through this thread I've now been a season ticket for significantly longer then I was a student and at this point I only care about increasing attendance and revenue. My conclusion is the arena is slightly bigger then the crowd this team typically draws and that's OK. I wish they could move the walls in to make it feel like a full house even with 3500 people as a full house is a full house no matter the crowd size, but it would sort of be odd if we were like North Dakota and sold out games against Colgate. The leg room can be nice anyways.

Have you (or anyone) heard if the Husky Club's fund raising efforts have been successful? I've heard it's been a disaster since they dismantled the sport-specific booster clubs. SCSU's decision to set aside public input and decades of booster club involvement has alienated a lot of season ticket holders and boosters. I made the decision to give a little less money until things change in the athletic department, and I feel a bit guilty about that. I wonder if the millionaire SCSU hockey alums are doing their part?
zipperlip
Redshirt

Next

Return to Men's Hockey