MOTZKO SHOW 2016-17

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 27 Sep 2016, 22:46

Season's first coaches show observations:

Before I walked in to the Green Mill, I was already a little pissy. Hey, this new corporation that took over SCSU sports DIDN'T re-hire Dandy Dan Terhaar, a very good host for this show. New guy Jim Erickson did a fine job--and REALLY has the radio-voice "pipes." Inadvertently started to say "critique" and it came out "****." Of course the table in front did bring this to his attention. He also called player guest Jimmy Schuldt "Jimmy Driscoll" that made Schuldt wrinkle up his nose, but we were quick to correct Mr. Erickson. Schuldt seemed pleased . . . .

Bob Motzko came in and sat for a minute at our table. I asked, "So, is Achan going to make the World Junior team"? Coach-like, he answered "he sure has a chance." The second question was regarding the two new goalies and how this will work. He thought a minute, didn't say anything, and crossed himself.

Erickson seemed well-prepped for this show and he and Motzko seemed to be in mid-season form.

On the 3 Poehlings coming in at the same time, and if he would ever put them on the same line? "Of course I will. Maybe not right away (one of the twins won't play until late October due to injury) but for sure they will play together at some point." He also mentioned that the youngest (Ryan) got a little "boo-boo" during the Prospects game, but should be ready by Sunday.

Obviously, Motzko is very excited about the defense--six solid returnees, and two highly touted freshmen in Dennis Cholowski and Jack Achan. He still states that one of the D guys may be switched to forward. He also said that the team will go with 14 forwards this season.

Several years ago, two of the unofficial assistant coaches (Skeeterman and Kolorful Ken) would badger the coach with goaltending suggestions regarding Mike Lee and Dan Dunn. Drove him crazy!! So at the end of the show and the coach getting ready to leave, I asked, "Well, who's starting in net this Sunday--Driscoll or Smith?" Motzko doesn't bat an eye, looks over and answers "DUNN"!

Post script: During a break, AD Heather Weems brought up a paper for Motzko to sign. The 3 unofficial assistant coaches rise as one and yell "Don't sign anything before we look it over!" This seemed to rattle the new guy Erickson, but Motzko just gave us a funny look--that we have seen many times in the past. Weems laughed so hard she nearly dropped the pen.
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 28 Sep 2016, 07:42

You always do the best recaps Boom! :)

Now I can't wait to see Dan Dunn on Sunday, 'cause Bob wouldn't lie to his (unofficial) Assistant Coaches ;)

But for reals, I honestly can't wait to see who's in nets this weekend; the first time in my short Husky fandom we don't have an incumbent Goalie returning
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 28 Sep 2016, 10:36

Just received this email from Jay Caldwell...
Bob Motzko Show is posted at the following link.

http://1390thefan.com/bob-motzko-show-podcast-audio/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for your patience.

Thanks Jay!
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 04 Oct 2016, 20:43

October 3, 2016 Show:

Coach Motzko stated that he was pleased with the team play at the exhibition against Regina. He said "We are playing Husky Hockey."

While some of us were pleased with the aggressive and physical play of capt. Ben Storm, the coach wasn't all that happy with the double minor he took near the end of the game. If you recall, Storm went barreling down the left wing, steam-rolled one guy and then ran over another Regina guy. This led to 4 Regina players "gathering" around young Mr. Storm, ripping his helmet off. Undeterred, Storm held his own against these "ruffians" and left the ice in a victorious skate by the Dog Pound, giving the students a thumb's up sign.

Ben Storm was also the player guest on this evening. Well-spoken and humble, he talked of his interest in music and ability to play the guitar.

Now a week off before the trip to Mankato.

Motzko announced midway through the show, that on this night, he was in a hurry to get home and watch the Vikings. The TMI thing came next: "Yep, I'm going to get into my purple and gold Zubas, grab some nachos and watch the Vikes!" Just before he left, I asked him if he really did wear Viking Zubas. So he shows me a picture on his phone with him decked out in the Zubas. Just the little things you should know about our head coach . . .
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 05 Oct 2016, 08:48

...And now I'll never not be able to picture Bob in Vikings Zubaz every time I see him. Thanks? :? :lol:

Another great report Boom!

And Storm RULES
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 05 Oct 2016, 09:16

hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 11 Oct 2016, 04:57

SCSU Men's hockey twitter yesterday...
SCSU Men's Hockey ‏@SCSUHUSKIES_MH 17h17 hours ago St Cloud, MN
There will be no Bob Motzko Show tonight at the @GreenMill in St. Cloud. The show on @rev967 returns next Monday at 6 pm @SCSUHUSKIES_MH
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 11 Oct 2016, 11:33

Recap Boomer?
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 11 Oct 2016, 11:36

scsutommyboy wrote:Recap Boomer?
Hard to have one when there was no show. :D
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 18 Oct 2016, 22:10

October 17, 2016 Show

After seeing the Friday game and listening to the Saturday game against Mankato, I wasn't real excited for the Motzko Show last night. My iffy expectations were about right on . . .

The coach said the right things--it's early, goaltending needs to improve, face offs need to get better, it will take a bit of time for the "new" guys getting used to playing with the "old" guys, etc. Evidently the Huskies improved their offensive play by Saturday, but they did get beat--fair and square--by the Mad Cows on this weekend. Mankato is well coached by Mike Hastings, and has a very solid and much faster team than I have seen previously. They will do well in the WCHA IMO.

During the first segment technological issues were present, and it was hard to hear the show (host/announcer guy Jim Erickson told us at the break that the sound was OK to the listener, just not in the Green Mill).

Something new this week with two Player Guests. Rookie Jake Wahlin and veteran Blake Winiecki were the players. Not sure if this is a good idea to have two or not. We will wait and see. Both are Minnesota/Metro kids, so of course both admitted to following the Gophers when they were growing up. No problem--they chose SCSU. All I could think of was that before they were born, I had already developed a very BAD attitude towards the Gopher hockey program, their players and their fans.

So, the Gophs next weekend, then Alabama-Huntsville and then the very impressive UMD Bulldogs. Five straight at home--maybe this is a good time for the local team to find their mojo.

The only early question for Bob Motzko? I asked "how are you doing?" "I've been better," he quipped.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 21 Oct 2016, 05:32

I couldn't find the show this week, have to email them again.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 21 Oct 2016, 07:57

Here is a link to the Motzko show. It can always be found at lunchtime Tuesdays on Podomatic.com or on iTunes under “Granite City Sports.

http://granitecitysports.podomatic.com/ ... 2_20-07_00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Bob Motzko Show- October 17th, 2016)

Thanks for listening,

Dave O
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 24 Oct 2016, 16:19

As negative as I was last week before the Motzko Show, I am all amped up for this one! [And it is only 4:15 pm right now.]

Might even bring pen and paper to collect some worthy quotes from the coach.

Questions: What's the deal with Widman?
Are you going to put one of the D men at forward?
Same rotation with the goalies? Personally, Driscoll took a major step Saturday night. No, not because he made some good saves, but he lost his stick 3 times. Folks, that is HOCKEY ENTERTAINMENT!~

Is Nick Poehling playing this weekend?
How long do you think you will keep all three Poehlings on the same line? Are you going to put them on the same line right away? [My guess is no, they won't be on the same line right away.]
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 25 Oct 2016, 11:27

1390thefan.com (REV96.7 FM)...
Bob Motzko Coaches’ Show- October 24th, 2016
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 26 Oct 2016, 17:14

Motzko Show Oct. 24, 2016

Confirmed information from the Motzko Coaches Show this week:
--Nathan Widman was a healthy scratch on Saturday night. "We have a lot of competition at defense" stated Bob Motzko. He also agreed that replacement Nevalainen played "very well" Saturday night.

--Yes, Nick Poehling is available and will play this weekend against Huntsville. Didn't get a chance to ask if the three Poehlings will be on the same line.

--On the goaltending. Motzko will keep the rotation deal going this weekend--Smith on Friday and Driscoll on Saturday. The coach said that it wasn't good for the Huskies to be down 5-2 in the third period, but without some great saves by Smith, it could have been 8-2.

What really impressed Motzko is the work ethic of this team, and the refusal to "give up" no matter what the score is. He is concerned that in all four games so far, the Huskies have given up the first two goals. "We've got that down pat", he chided.

Player Guests Mikey Eyssimont and Jacob Benson. The two sophomores were described by Motzko as "a fancy-pants guy (Eyssimont) and a heavy-lifter guy (Benson)." Both players stated that the most fun away arena to play in was Amsoil in Duluth. When asked where was the most boisterous and rabid crowd to play in front of, both said Western Michigan in Kalamazoo. Benson stated that this "might not be the place to bring your kids."