The Bob Motzko Coaches Show 2014-15

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Oct 2014, 01:56

The unofficial assistants were there, lots of die-hard Husky Hockey fans were there as well as coach Bob Motzko and Media Guru and ace radio guy/host of the show, Dandy Dan Terhaar. The previous game was a 8-0 whipping of a newer Canadian team from British Columbia--and nobody got hurt--so the coach was in his "happy place." Motzko was pleased with the off-season training programs of his players. He said all came back in excellent shape.

Motzko really liked the play of his "Senior Line" of Joe Rehkamp, Brooks Bertsch and Captain Nick Oliver. He even hinted that he may keep this line together for some time, but local fans scoffed that Motzko could go with the same line without tinkering a bit here or there.

Maybe the bright side of this early season has been the more aggressive play of senior defenseman Jarrod Rabey. Assistant coach Garrett Raboin mentioned to the coach that it appeared that "someone poked Rabey with a stick." (Actually, said someone poked "The Bear".) Motzko was impressed with the play of everyone--during practice and during the exhibition game.

The freshmen: "The freshman forwards are different this year. They are not the "fancy-panters" that you have seen in years past. These guys [Winiecki, Peterson and Russell]are bigger and come right after you."

Player Guest-Nick Oliver. This year's captain Nick Oliver has a familiar look and sound that the previous captains all had: poise, positive attitude and a leadership quality that neither the fans nor the coaches need to worry about. Oliver stated that being voted captain by his teammates and hockey staff "was probably the biggest honor I've ever had in hockey." Terhaar asked him about his teammates--like, who was the best prankster on the team. Oliver immediately gave up Chicagoan Jimmy Murray. Then he thought for a minute, and said nobody would really think it was possible, but the quiet and shy Joey Benik was a close second. "Benik is pretty sly, and a lot smarter than he looks."

After the show, the captain visited our table. Never known to be shy, Ms. Boomer asked Oliver if he had a girlfriend. "Oh no, I'm very single," stated Oliver. But we did notice that he was very friendly with our waitperson at the Green Mill--Nora. We also confronted her after the show and asked her about some sort of secret handshake she and Oliver shared.

This weekend SCSU faces a very good Colgate team that is rated 5/6 in the nation. The Huskies are rated 7/8 in the country. Huskies swept them last season in their area.
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Oct 2014, 06:36

Great report as usual Boom

Can't wait to keep reading 'em as the season progresses
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
motox
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Oct 2014, 16:52

Way to start the season off with a great report Boomer. Much appreciated by those that aren't able to attend or listen to the show live. Looking forward to the season.
HuskySuperFanDave
Redshirt

Unread post 07 Oct 2014, 17:24

As always, great report Boomer ! Thank You!
HockeyFan
1st Line

Unread post 07 Oct 2014, 17:34

Thanks for the update Boomer
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Oct 2014, 19:09

Http://knsiradio.com/podcasts/coaches-show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 29 Oct 2014, 19:36

The Motzko Show Oct. 27, 2014

On the recent series at Union:

Bob Motzko: Regarding the too many men penalty at the start of Friday's game--"It wasn't just one or two guys too many--we had eight guys out there!"

After reviewing film of both games: "We took some really stupid penalties."

Any other concerns from the series? Motzko shared, "Well, I did have to fine Blake Winiecki after Saturday's game," he admitted. "He scores his first collegiate goal, and all we see is one little raise of his left hand. I told him he should have celebrated a lot more than that!"

The coach really likes what he sees from freshmen forwards Judd Peterson, Patrick Russell and Winiecki. Motzko again said they "aren't the 'fancy-pantsers' of year's past. They go after it." And a reason for the poise and maturity shown by the frosh? "Well, these guys are kind of grizzled, old juniors guys." Motzko likened the play of Russell as somewhere between Andrew Gordon and Jonny Brodzinski.

"Our team played hard both nights," Motzko said. "The team is on the way to finding out their own identity." He also predicted that both Colgate and Union will be in the NCAA playoffs at the end of the year.

Guest Player Kalle Kossila During the second segment, Motzko was talking about how some of the Minnesota players on the team get very fired up for the Gopher series. Others, like the four Finnish players on the team, look at the series as less emotional. "We have Kalle here tonight, and I don't think he knows the difference between Minneapolis and San Diego." Kossila immediately raised his hand and said that yes, he did know the difference. The coach apologized.

Host Dan Terhaar, trying his best to keep the show under control, talked with Kossila about having three other countrymen on the team, and if that made it easier to play so far from home. Kossila said not really, but it was nice because it gives him and his Finnish teammates a chance to speak Finnish occasionally. Kossila did say that they don't do it too much, because that would be "disrespectful" to the English speaking teammates. Terhaar stated that maybe the English speaking folks would take it wrong and think that the Finns were talking about them. Kossila turned and looked at Terhaar stating, "Well, of course we are!"
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 29 Oct 2014, 20:47

Haha, this is why we love Kalle and Bob!

Great report Boomer :)
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 10 Nov 2014, 12:52

As some may have guess when seeing the weather report last night, there will be no coach's show AT the Green Mill tonight do to weather. HOWEVER, they will be making a prerecorded show to be played during the usual time slot still on KNSI.

The info was recently posted on the Men's Team's twitter acount stating this.
Come to SCSU! Get whip-Lasch! -LadyHusky17

Did I mention I'm a bad speller? -LadyHusky17
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 10 Nov 2014, 21:47

Anybody get a chance to listen?
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 10 Nov 2014, 22:54

The second segment is available. Not sure where the first segment is. He talks about keeping it simple, getting back to basics, not trying to do too much and some forwards stepping their game up. He mentioned we've been easy to play against.
He said Widman is becoming one of their best players and Rabey was one of the better forwards Sat night.
He also talked about how Western is struggling with their offense they are big, physical and well coached.
LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 10 Nov 2014, 23:09

Was the show only a half hour for some reason? I lost track of time and tuned in about 6:15 and by 6:30 it was back to whatever would have been playing had the show not been going.

hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 11 Nov 2014, 12:35

They sent out an email that it was taped in advance and would air at 6pm due to the weather. The second segment is 8 min 40 sec. The first segment is still missing- I just checked.
LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Nov 2014, 16:00

hockeypuck wrote:They sent out an email that it was taped in advance and would air at 6pm due to the weather. The second segment is 8 min 40 sec. The first segment is still missing- I just checked.
I don't remember seeing any E-mail, just the tweet on Twitter talking about it.

hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Nov 2014, 22:29

The emails come from Husky athletics. I think it is part of the season ticket holder package whether you want it or not. Here is the email I received Mon am 11:43am...
I contacted them about Segment 1 missing but they still haven't uploaded it.

Snow Cancels Motzko Show at the Green Mill on Nov. 10
11/10/2014 | Men's Ice Hockey
Due to the snow and poor travel conditions in the St. Cloud area, the Bob Motzko Radio Show at the Green Mill in downtown St. Cloud, Minn. has been cancelled for Nov. 10.

The show featuring Dan Terhaar and Coach Motzko will be taped in advanced this morning and it will be aired at 6 p.m. on Nov. 10 on KNSI AM 1450/FM 103.3 (http://www.knsiradio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The show will run as usual but there will it will not be live from the Green Mill on Nov. 10.

The Bob Motzko Radio Show will return to the Green Mill for its regular Monday time slot at 6 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 17.