2014 Off-Season Thread

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Apr 2014, 12:59

And so begins the huge thread of summer. :cry:
motox
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Apr 2014, 14:16

I expect to see potential line combinations from tommyboy soon. He usually likes to get those going early.

Losing our seniors is a big loss and you cannot replace their presence on the ice or in the locker room. Fortunately we have a lot of talent coming back and on paper definitely have the ability to contend for another Penrose. The leadership the past couple seasons has really turned this program in the right direction and I don't see that changing with the current group of guys coming back. Two years in a row they have had very successful regular seasons and that experience cannot be replaced. Captain predictions?
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Apr 2014, 15:32

Oliver-C
Prochno-C
Morley-A
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Apr 2014, 16:42

Lines last weekend...underlined Seniors that are leaving.
LW Murray C Dowd RW Morley
LW Papa C Kossila RW Brodzinski
LW Benik C Thorson RW Bertsch
LW Oliver C Rehkamp RW Tedesco

LD Gravel RD Daly
LD Prochno RD Prow
LD Nevalainen RD Rabey

Healthy Scratch
LW Milan
RW Holka
LW Belisle

LD Burrell
LD Storm

Possible incoming based on age...
RW/C Judd Peterson
RW Patrick Russell
LW/C Blake Winiecki
LW Michael Buonicontri

LD Mika Ilvonen
LD Jimmy Schuldt
RD Clark Kuster

Note: Several left handers have played RW due to shortage of right handers - Tedesco, Murray, Papa and Milan come to mind. Same with the D when Prochno was out.

From the looks of things the coaches have done their homework and it could be another nice season ahead. Peterson has speed. Kuster could push Rabey out at RD. Storm, Ilvonen and Shuldt could fight for the 3rd LD or maybe even above Nevalainen depending on how things work out. Move Morley back to Center and Rehkamp, Peterson or Winiecki battling for the 3rd and 4th C spots. You have another RW with size in Russell battling Holka and Bertsch. Plus you have depth at LW and in the net if Faragher stays. Otherwise the big questionmark would be goaltending if Faragher leaves and if they go primarily with Lindgren or split with Reijola.
motox
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Apr 2014, 17:33

This was expected by many, but really great to have confirmation. Could be a legitimate Hobey contender.

https://twitter.com/MickHatten/status/4 ... 7141310464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FalcoBro8
1st Line

Unread post 01 Apr 2014, 17:46

motox wrote:This was expected by many, but really great to have confirmation. Could be a legitimate Hobey contender.

https://twitter.com/MickHatten/status/4 ... 7141310464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That right there makes this off season easier to accept knowing Jonny is coming back next year, keeps legitimate Hobey talent here for another year.
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Apr 2014, 18:32

Thank goodness!

Though it was expected, it's still great to hear JonnyB is coming back! :)

Now I'm hoping Fedz returns for one last run!

As for my Captain predictions:
C - Oliver
C - Prochno
A - Brodzinski

Speaking of JonnyB, here's a neat interview with/article on him from the NCAA's (published after): http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/1 ... lete-game/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
Fangs
2nd Line

Unread post 01 Apr 2014, 19:33

motox wrote:This was expected by many, but really great to have confirmation. Could be a legitimate Hobey contender.

https://twitter.com/MickHatten/status/4 ... 7141310464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can take it how ever you choose, but speaking with jonny's grandparents, he has told them both the he is playing all four years at SCSU. I also know him and his grandma are close, and Jonny isn't going to lie to grandma. :D :lol:
St. Cloud State University GGGGGOOOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!!
southernhusky
3rd Line

Unread post 01 Apr 2014, 20:48

HuskyFan64 wrote:Thank goodness!

Though it was expected, it's still great to hear JonnyB is coming back! :)

Now I'm hoping Fedz returns for one last run!

As for my Captain predictions:
C - Oliver
C - Prochno
A - Brodzinski

Speaking of JonnyB, here's a neat interview with/article on him from the NCAA's (published after): http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/1 ... lete-game/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think you are dead on with the Captains picks. Damn happy of Brodzy to commit to staying. Awesome to see a culture of "play all four," taking shape. Won't happen in all cases, and I have only been around the program four years. My opinion may be way off, but pretty cool even if it's an anomaly
FalcoBro8
1st Line

Unread post 01 Apr 2014, 21:43

Were building a winning tradition here and the players that are apart of building it want to stay apart of it and the ones who are soon to be here are going to want to stay here to continue that success.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 02 Apr 2014, 01:30

As far as incoming freshmen go, I think we can cross Michael Buonicontri off of the list. He isn't cutting it at the USHL level, so he won't at the NCAA level either. He has even fallen off in the CCHL significantly from last year. USHL performance isn't always a huge indicator of NCAA potential, but I think it is one here.

Peterson, Winiecki, and Russell age out, so they have to come in. That gives us a pair of RW, a LW, and two that may work at center (although, I think Winiecki would be the centerman). Winiecki and Russell have markedly better stats than Peterson, and it looks like they already play on a line together. It is worth mentioning that Peterson has been plagued by the injury bug. Only two forwards are currently out, and we don't expect to lose more, so that could be tough.

Kuster has played two years in the USHL, but could stay for a third. He is a decent player, essentially even in +/- both years. I think he stays. Schuldt also has played 2 years in the juniors and can stay, but shows much better performance (6-19-25 +24 in 55 games). Mika Ilvonen stated that he's coming in this fall, so I'm going to run with that. He is a good blue man in the Liiga Jr A, but we all know how well euro hockey translates to NA hockey sometimes. Since they're still young, I would prefer all three maintain in the USHL, since defensemen develop so much later than forwards, and more time strength and condition training is never bad. Which also brings up if all our current d-core will stay - whether voluntarily or not.

On the show yesterday, Bob mentioned that they'll be looking for a couple players that aren't current recruits to bring in. So, keep an eye out for announcements over the summer. He also spoke at length on how he encourages players to play through their senior year (if MNHSL) and two years of juniors on top of that. I know most recruits have publicly said that they'll mature as much as possible before coming to Cloud, and trust Bob's direction. So, I'll also discount the younger guys.

So, we have four forwards, counting Buonicontri, that are 20+. I've counted out Michael B., sorry man. But that still leaves three incoming for two spots. If one had to stay out, I'd leave out Peterson, even though I'd hate to do that to an iron range guy. We have three possible coming for d-positions, but I'm hoping the two non-Finns mature more. That leaves:

RW Patrick Russell
LW/C Blake Winiecki
LD Mika Ilvonen

That gives us a roster of 26, plus and empty spot, but still four goalies (PLEASE stay Fedz!). And 18 scholarships to spread out. Obviously, we have no idea who has what percentage, but lets guess at the guys who left. Dowd likely had a 95%, Gravel 95%, Thorson 50%, Burrell 0%? I doubt they'd offer a very good Finn anything less than 95-100%, and the other two warrant about the same. So, how much cap space do we have for a walk-on or two? Do we extend the roster past 27?

I think I may need something more to occupy my mind over the offseason. :mrgreen:
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 02 Apr 2014, 05:51

I guess I don't necessarily go with stats. Buonincontri has good size at 6'2" 205 so he could be in a Nick Oliver role. Putting a little grit on a line doesn't hurt. I haven't seen him play but I still think you need a balance of distributor, scorer(a guy who likes to set up out front) and grinder (wall guy) on each line. But that's just me. One's that stick out, Islanders- Gillies, Trottier, Bossy Chicago - Savard, Secord, Larmer Edmonton- Gretzky, Tikkanen, Kurri Messier, Anderson, Graves, Larmer/Simpson Pittsburgh - Lemieux, Jagr, Francis/Stevens Malkin, Neal, Kunitz Chicago - Toews, Kane, Bolland etc

We need to add some size and speed ( I also have no idea how his skating is). I didn't like how the Gophers were pushing us around after every whistle- I thought they could easily had a few penalties, but they are smart about it. We had some the same issues with W Mich and Union. I guess that's why I liked Milan so much, he adds some grit but I think he as actually tapered off on his energy level the last year or so.
There's something to be said when the other team is looking over their shoulder or after the whistle. Some of it's psychological and I think we definitely played differently mentally against the Gophers than against a lot of other teams this year.
Serratore, Ambroz, Rau, Fasching, Skjei, Parenteau and a couple others bring it for the Gophers.
It seemed to be the case against Notre Dame also. We were in awe of the uniform and not playing our game(or moving our feet) till OT. I was looking for that guy to put the team on their back and Dowd delivered.
We didn't get a lot of turnovers because we didn't have that guy in their distrupting. I think we could of switched up our forecheck instead of falling back. Ohio State did it but then had one guy always back to guard against their speed.

The Gophers puck support was awesome in that game, no matter who we beat there was another Gopher right there in the right place it seemed all game.
Our best line to me, looked like Rehkamp, Oliver and Tedesco but everything was on the outside or when they did get to the middle they didn't have that support- line change or whatever.
Gravel jumped up into the rush once early but then the FWD didn't hit him and it was offside and Kossila missed the chance in the middle way wide. I think it would have been quite a different game to get that Wilcox factor off our back.
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 02 Apr 2014, 12:43

If Peterson ages out, he's coming then along with the other two. Buonincontri will age out next year and we'll need his size and we graduate a huge class so he will be coming. The only question for me is whether another D man comes with Ilvonen and if it's one of the 2 we have or do we add a walk-on and allow Kuster and Schuldt to mature another season.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 02 Apr 2014, 13:15

I HATE guessing by stats, but that is all that I've got. Our 20 goal Jonny hockey did poorly in the USHL, as did Hano. A problem with that league is sometimes kids are more worried about impressing scouts than playing a team game. But it is hard to ignore the fact that he can't score at the USHL level, and is even struggling in the CCHL.

The issue is that we have only 2 open roster spots up front, but 4 guys that are 20 now or soon. A big graduating class next year doesn't help much in making space now. And bringing someone in as filler doesn't help anything. Bob favors skill over size, and size is not a big indicator of grit (see: Rabey vs Roe). I don't like leaving a recruit out in the cold, but sometimes it happens.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 02 Apr 2014, 14:06

Buonincontri doesn't age out so he can go back is the point. He doesn't have to come in this year. He's also not struggling that much considering he was over a PPG guy once he went back to Smiths Falls which makes him one of 3 on the team.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003