Husky Bracketology 2014: Better Late Than Never

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
Red Cloud
Redshirt

Unread post 14 Mar 2014, 15:50

Hello everyone.

The indomitable Skeeterman reached out to me today wondering where the usual Husky Bracketology was. I have to admit, there have been a number of things that have conspired to keep me from doing my usual Bracketology so far this season.

1. The radical change to the calculation. My version of bracketology was hyper-local, dealing with the rise and fall of just one team, in this case, SCSU. When the season started, there was a lot that had changed and I really hadn't been able to take a strong look at what now helps and hurts in the PWR, other than the usual "win your games" bit, which everyone is already on board with.

2. That change not being applied to the major sites (USCHO, CHN) in their calculation until sometime in January. Eventually, I kinda stopped looking for it - and this plays into #4 below.

3. Everyone and their mothers paying way too much attention to the Pairwise in December. Holy hell that was annoying. Some schools had commentators pointing out breathlessly their rise in the PWR in early January, and discussing what would happen with the result of some game that had yet to finish that night. Words cannot describe how worthless this is, and when I tried to explain that to these people, I got a lot of flak for it. The school that was most guilty of this was Clarkson, I called them "PWR kings of January" and told them to get back to me in March. (Where are the Knights now, and why have their super suspenseful PWR updates stopped now at the most crucial time? Idiots.)

4. I got repeatedly crotch-punched by my undergraduate alma mater, RPI, which was supposed to be one of the best teams in the ECAC this season. Their all-everything goaltender got hurt in a freak pre-practice accident and was lost for the season in early October, then they repeatedly blew leads all year long. Made the PWR difficult to look at now that every team is always on there, especially since our hated rivals, Union, who weren't supposed to be as good, somehow ended up being better, and I didn't want to look at that either. It was a really, really heartbreaking season in Troy, which completed with one final kick in the junk on Sunday when they blew a 4-2 lead at home in the 3rd period in Game 3. FYI - never go into a season with high expectations like that. God that sucked.

5. I got married in October, which further cut down on my PWR learning opportunities early on.

But, regardless of all that, I'll do my best in the coming week to lay down enough of a groundwork to produce a couple of bracketologies for everyone. I'm at least very heartened to see that Penrose Cup in St. Cloud (suck it, UND!), and I will see what I can do about figuring just what the Dogs need for their highest possible spot, which I have a feeling based on what I've read they may already be occupying.
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 14 Mar 2014, 16:00

Great to hear from you!! Do you feel missed and loved????
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 14 Mar 2014, 16:12

Red Cloud wrote:I will see what I can do about figuring just what the Dogs need for their highest possible spot, which I have a feeling based on what I've read they may already be occupying.
I don't know about that. I don't think they control their own destiny, but I know that the environment around them will definitely have an effect. Here's what I put together for a cheering section in another thread. Let me know if I got anything wrong. (This is just for Friday, but probably pretty close for Saturday too.)

Michigan State over Wisconsin (duh)
Bemidji State over Ferris State (also duh)
North Dakota over Colorado College (important)
Duluth over Western Michigan (also important)
Minnesota over Michigan
Ohio State over Penn State
Connecticut over Robert Morris
Holy Cross over Mercyhurst
Bentley over Canisius
Air Force over Niagra
Colgate over St. Lawrence
Union over Dartmouth
Yale over Quinnipiac
Cornell over Clarkson
Vermont over Mass-Lowell
Notre Dame over Boston College
Northeastern over New Hampshire
Alaska-Fairbanks over Alaska-Anchorage
Denver over Nebraska-Omaha
Mankato over Northern Michigan
Bowling Green over Michigan Tech

If everything went well tonight except for Ferris State and Wisconsin winning, we'd still end up #4 PWR.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 15 Mar 2014, 22:03

How far can huskies drop not playing next weekend?
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread post 15 Mar 2014, 22:09

Virtually 100% Huskies are a 3 seed. Keep in mind the teams from 8-16 would all have to lose next weekend for tournament upsets to come into play for the 11 or 12 seed.
FalcoBro8
1st Line

Unread post 15 Mar 2014, 22:59

mikecgrimes wrote:Virtually 100% Huskies are a 3 seed. Keep in mind the teams from 8-16 would all have to lose next weekend for tournament upsets to come into play for the 11 or 12 seed.
As long as were in the tournament, that's all that matters.
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 15 Mar 2014, 23:05

Du lost in fist round in what 2004 an then won national title? So it can happen.
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread post 16 Mar 2014, 06:51

If North Dakota loses tonight they are out, unless they somehow move up to 14 from 17 next weekend, and outside of the NCHC no other autobids are outside of the top 14, and even if they win they better also go 2-0 next weekend if they want to feel safe.
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread post 16 Mar 2014, 07:33

Didn't even think about this until now, we should be in St Paul if North Dakota falls. If things don't change much I would bet it's Minnesota St Cloud Notre Dame and the biggest long shot autobid outside of the 3 remaining leagues, probably out of Atlantic Hockey.
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 16 Mar 2014, 09:26

scsutommyboy wrote:Du lost in fist round in what 2004 an then won national title? So it can happen.
Of course when Dahl was coach Huskies lost in first round to UMD and then played like crap and lost to UNH in first round of NCAA's. The bottom line is this team's team defense and goaltending needs to get better.
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 16 Mar 2014, 09:29

mikecgrimes wrote:Didn't even think about this until now, we should be in St Paul if North Dakota falls. If things don't change much I would bet it's Minnesota St Cloud Notre Dame and the biggest long shot autobid outside of the 3 remaining leagues, probably out of Atlantic Hockey.
I would rather see Huskies is Cincinnati. The distraction of being in St. Paul is not needed. So few Husky fans will go any way there is no advantage to be there except it is a short bus ride.
FalcoBro8
1st Line

Unread post 16 Mar 2014, 09:55

scsutommyboy wrote:
mikecgrimes wrote:Didn't even think about this until now, we should be in St Paul if North Dakota falls. If things don't change much I would bet it's Minnesota St Cloud Notre Dame and the biggest long shot autobid outside of the 3 remaining leagues, probably out of Atlantic Hockey.
I would rather see Huskies is Cincinnati. The distraction of being in St. Paul is not needed. So few Husky fans will go any way there is no advantage to be there except it is a short bus ride.
Pretty much this, we never play all that well in St Paul as it is, it would be nice to play there but I like our chances at a more "neutral site".
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread post 16 Mar 2014, 10:22

We've won 3 NCAA games ever, one of those was in St Paul, I don't want to play the Gophers there, but I kind of like the prospects of possibly facing the #16 overall team to get to the Frozen Four, if the Gophers do what Gophers do best.
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 16 Mar 2014, 11:09

Welcome back Red Cloud. I suppose there is a possibility we miss the NCAA tourney.
FalcoBro8
1st Line

Unread post 16 Mar 2014, 11:33

mikecgrimes wrote:We've won 3 NCAA games ever, one of those was in St Paul, I don't want to play the Gophers there, but I kind of like the prospects of possibly facing the #16 overall team to get to the Frozen Four, if the Gophers do what Gophers do best.
We would all like to see the Gophers pull another Holy Cross that's for sure.