NCHC Playoffs: Miami @ St. Cloud - 3/14, 3/15, (3/16)

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
ThomaSCSU
3rd Line
Posts: 216
Joined: 31 Aug 2011, 14:45
Location: St. Cloud, MN

Unread post 15 Mar 2014, 21:34

Does our defense know what their role is, exactly?
USCHO username: Husky13
FalcoBro8
1st Line
Posts: 670
Joined: 30 Nov 2012, 16:00

Unread post 15 Mar 2014, 21:36

Got 2 weeks to figure it out boys, plain and simple, next loss ends our season.
User avatar
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist
Posts: 7050
Joined: 30 Jan 2003, 11:01

Unread post 15 Mar 2014, 21:42

FalcoBro8 wrote:Got 2 weeks to figure it out boys, plain and simple, next loss ends our season.
They've had all year to figure it out. I really don't think it's going to all of a sudden click now.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
ThomaSCSU
3rd Line
Posts: 216
Joined: 31 Aug 2011, 14:45
Location: St. Cloud, MN

Unread post 15 Mar 2014, 21:47

Rabid_Husky wrote:
FalcoBro8 wrote:Got 2 weeks to figure it out boys, plain and simple, next loss ends our season.
They've had all year to figure it out. I really don't think it's going to all of a sudden click now.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe we just don't have what it takes.
USCHO username: Husky13
mikecgrimes
1st Line
Posts: 967
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 08:15
Location: Elk river

Unread post 15 Mar 2014, 21:52

This is a hard weekend to analyze as going into it 2 one goal losses was my desired result. Gravel's shot from the corner with 8 seconds left might not happen if the game means more, and it better not as I knew as soon as Miami gathered the rebound they would get a great scoring chance. Do we make that save with 2 seconds left if the game means something for us? In the back of every Huskies mind had to be a desire not to play extra hockey.

Lets get healthy and see what we can make happen, if our first round opponent is better then Miami it won't be by much.
FalcoBro8
1st Line
Posts: 670
Joined: 30 Nov 2012, 16:00

Unread post 15 Mar 2014, 21:53

ThomaSCSU wrote:
Rabid_Husky wrote:
They've had all year to figure it out. I really don't think it's going to all of a sudden click now.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe we just don't have what it takes.
We got hot last year once the NCAAs came around, but are we in a position where were still a "lock" or are we gonna sweat it out again like last year?
User avatar
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist
Posts: 7050
Joined: 30 Jan 2003, 11:01

Unread post 15 Mar 2014, 21:55

mikecgrimes wrote:This is a hard weekend to analyze as going into it 2 one goal losses was my desired result. Gravel's shot from the corner with 8 seconds left might not happen if the game means more, and it better not as I knew as soon as Miami gathered the rebound they would get a great scoring chance. Do we make that save with 2 seconds left if the game means something for us? In the back of every Huskies mind had to be a desire not to play extra hockey.

Lets get healthy and see what we can make happen, if our first round opponent is better then Miami it won't be by much.
Are you insinuating they didn't want to win?
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
mikecgrimes
1st Line
Posts: 967
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 08:15
Location: Elk river

Unread post 15 Mar 2014, 21:56

ThomaSCSU wrote:
Rabid_Husky wrote:
They've had all year to figure it out. I really don't think it's going to all of a sudden click now.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe we just don't have what it takes.
Sure we do. I wouldn't bet on us, but we won the NCHC for a reason. Have we had a run that makes us feel like we can beat 4 good teams in a row? Not really, but maybe we're due. If somehow we can win one game where we give up 4+ goals I like our chances.
mikecgrimes
1st Line
Posts: 967
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 08:15
Location: Elk river

Unread post 15 Mar 2014, 21:59

Rabid_Husky wrote:
mikecgrimes wrote:This is a hard weekend to analyze as going into it 2 one goal losses was my desired result. Gravel's shot from the corner with 8 seconds left might not happen if the game means more, and it better not as I knew as soon as Miami gathered the rebound they would get a great scoring chance. Do we make that save with 2 seconds left if the game means something for us? In the back of every Huskies mind had to be a desire not to play extra hockey.

Lets get healthy and see what we can make happen, if our first round opponent is better then Miami it won't be by much.
Are you insinuating they didn't want to win?
You always want to win, but we're we going to block one extra shot, or win one extra race to the puck? Not saying we let them win in the end, but Miami was going to win this game, if it came down to who wanted it more.
Husky1
1st Line
Posts: 785
Joined: 21 Jan 2003, 06:35

Unread post 15 Mar 2014, 23:14

I think the single biggest thing they can do is get Prochno healthy and ship Rabey to Siberia. He seems like a nice enough guy but I can't ever recall a defenseman making such poor decisions so routinely. I'd take Burrell ten times out of ten over him. That odd man rush they had when already up 2-0 and looking for more when he inexplicably decided to shoot was ridiculous.

They played maybe 45 minutes of good hockey all weekend and got the result you get with that sort of effort. The good news is they get a couple weeks to rest and reload prior to the NCAA's. I know some are worried about the bye week but considering they haven't put together two consecutive good games since 2013 I think whether or not they have an extra week to rest is moot.

If CC wins tomorrow there will be about 40 people at the Frozen Faceoff and Target Center will never want to see this league again.
User avatar
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist
Posts: 2175
Joined: 03 Nov 2012, 09:00
Location: St. Cloud, MN

Unread post 16 Mar 2014, 13:57

Tough weekend, but we're still Penrose Cup Champions!

Like Terhaar said on the Post-Game, the guys haven't had a chance to rest since December, so this will be kind of nice for them.

But, I must say, last night's game was a travesty of officiating; the refs were SO selective on their calls.

Ah well, rest up and win 4 more games! :)
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
User avatar
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist
Posts: 2477
Joined: 03 Apr 2010, 00:15

Unread post 16 Mar 2014, 22:35

HuskyFan64 wrote:But, I must say, last night's game was a travesty of officiating; the refs were SO selective on their calls.

Ah well, rest up and win 4 more games! :)
No joke. They call nothing all game, then everything is a penalty for ten minutes, then nothing again. The only thing worse than bad officiating is inconsistent bad officiating. I'm just going hope that our disciplined nature helps in the nationals.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
User avatar
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist
Posts: 2477
Joined: 03 Apr 2010, 00:15

Unread post 16 Mar 2014, 22:35

HuskyFan64 wrote:But, I must say, last night's game was a travesty of officiating; the refs were SO selective on their calls.

Ah well, rest up and win 4 more games! :)
No joke. They call nothing all game, then everything is a penalty for ten minutes, then nothing again. The only thing worse than bad officiating is inconsistent bad officiating. I'm just going hope that our disciplined nature helps in the nationals.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Husky4Life
1st Line
Posts: 552
Joined: 14 Mar 2007, 00:11
Location: Big Lake

Unread post 17 Mar 2014, 10:56

We won't win anything unless our PK figures itself out. The PK cost us the weekend. Getting Andrew back will help a little bit with the PK and a lot with everything else. I know that as a 3 seed whoever we play will be really good and it's going to take two great games to get back to the Frozen Four.
"SCSU Hockey-Future Multiple National Championship Winners!"
User avatar
DirtyBottles
3rd Line
Posts: 168
Joined: 11 Jul 2011, 12:31

Unread post 17 Mar 2014, 12:02

Rabid_Husky wrote:
FalcoBro8 wrote:Got 2 weeks to figure it out boys, plain and simple, next loss ends our season.
They've had all year to figure it out. I really don't think it's going to all of a sudden click now.
I tend to agree. Right now we're tied for 32nd overall defensively. That just isn't going to cut it.

Through December 7th: We gave up more then 2 goals ONE time.
From Dec 8 on: we gave up more then 2 goals 16 times and have given up four or more goals 11 times.

ouch.

Note: did the stat check in a real hurry so not 100% sure on accuracy but they should be close.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work - Thomas Edison.

Today I will do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't - unknown
Post Reply