SCSU vs Western Michigan Broncos, 17-18 Jan 2014

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 18 Jan 2014, 00:54

We were also playing a short bench for much of the game, since they injured Storm. Gravel was playing 2 of 3 shifts.
LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 18 Jan 2014, 02:10

mdneilson wrote:We were also playing a short bench for much of the game, since they injured Storm. Gravel was playing 2 of 3 shifts.
Missed the Storm injury, though now thinking back on it I don't really remember him out there after the first (am I wrong). What happened for those of us who didn't see the injury?

Wait, never mind, didn't realize it was him who was hit from behind. just was irate with the rest of the fans that something like that happened.

Either we're going to have a calm/focused game tomorrow/later today or there might be an all out brawl at some point.
Come to SCSU! Get whip-Lasch! -LadyHusky17

Did I mention I'm a bad speller? -LadyHusky17
BroncoFever
Redshirt

Unread post 18 Jan 2014, 02:25

aries wrote: That was the most disgusted I've ever been leaving the rink tonight.
Well, you might want to wait until after tomorrow before you say that.....
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 18 Jan 2014, 10:46

Rabid_Husky wrote:They've got some things to fix but the sky is not falling and it would take a serious collapse for them to miss the tourney. Faragher was bad and I wonder if Charlie gets a start tomorrow. PP certainly was clicking and the balance is still there. Fix a little leaky defense issues and we're fine.
Refs also let this one get out of hand and I don't know what the hell Western was trying too do on line changes before face offs but the refs were clueless in how to handle it. I hope Adam was watching.
Coach Murray was stalling to give his players a little extra rest. Refs should get wise to this. Soo far this season, Adam's refs suck the big Wazoo.
aries
3rd Line

Unread post 18 Jan 2014, 11:51

The reffing yesterday was pathetic. I can take a few bad calls here and there -- most games you're going to see that, especially in a league whose head of officiating is Don Adam. But at the end of OT the refs lost control of the game. Both coaches were losing their minds and the officials just didn't know what to do. That's the true mark of inept officiating.
BroncoFever
Redshirt

Unread post 18 Jan 2014, 13:26

aries wrote:The reffing yesterday was pathetic. I can take a few bad calls here and there -- most games you're going to see that, especially in a league whose head of officiating is Don Adam. But at the end of OT the refs lost control of the game. Both coaches were losing their minds and the officials just didn't know what to do. That's the true mark of inept officiating.

it helps if they can at least count. At the end of the game, there was suppose to be a 4x4, but SCSU had 5 on the ice. WMU sent out another guy to make it 5 x 5 thinking it was co-incidentals, but the ref kept sending him off. Finally they figured it out and had a SCSU player come off he ice.
Bronc
Redshirt

Unread post 18 Jan 2014, 15:23

Skeeterman wrote:Coach Murray was stalling to give his players a little extra rest. Refs should get wise to this. Soo far this season, Adam's refs suck the big Wazoo.
Wasn't Murrays fault that there was a delay. Your coach tried to sneak 5 players out on the ice during a 4 on 4, Murray saw that, tried to explain it to the refs and when they didn't listen put a 5th player out there as well. That player was sent back to the bench. Rinse, repeat until the idiot refs actually figured it out.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 18 Jan 2014, 15:34

It should have been 5-on-5; they were matching coincidental penalties. Since the two players kept going back to harass each other. The reffing was just that inept.
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 18 Jan 2014, 16:02

Knew the reffing would be bad when they allowed Western to change after an icing. It was bad all around, and like I said, I hope Adam was watching, especially with the commish there.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
Bronc
Redshirt

Unread post 18 Jan 2014, 16:14

mdneilson wrote:It should have been 5-on-5; they were matching coincidental penalties. Since the two players kept going back to harass each other. The reffing was just that inept.
Well that's true. I just wanted to point out that Murray wasn't trying to game the stytem, the refs were just so bad that everything took longer than it should have to get sorted out.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 18 Jan 2014, 17:05

Bronc wrote:Well that's true. I just wanted to point out that Murray wasn't trying to game the stytem, the refs were just so bad that everything took longer than it should have to get sorted out.
Ah, I was just as confused as Murray. I thought he was trying to change a winger over and over, but I did notice right away that Western only had 4 guys out. I've seen CJ Bauerlein four or five times this year. He makes the Shepherds look decent. I don't get how these old WCHA officials got in our system, everyone hated them there too. Since we and B1G stole all the WCHA refs, they have AHL/ECHL/USHL refs that are not bad. *Bangs head off wall*
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 18 Jan 2014, 17:20

Hopefully some changes are made at the end of the year. Could also be that those refs from other leagues don't want to come to college where there is a significantly less number of games than in the pros.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 18 Jan 2014, 18:43

Last night was beyond frustrating, but at least we have the Power-Play clicking and solid Offense.

Honestly, Faragher wasn't THAT bad; he was having an off-night, sure, but our D was terrible, we were gving them the backdoor all night. I only really blame him for the wrap-around Goal.

Oh well, at least it was only a Tie and you KNOW Bob is gonna have them playing better tonight! We always play better after a Tie/Loss (See: Union Series and Miami Series) in the HBNHC.

And on the reffing point: they were BEYOND terrible, NO control of the Game whatsoever. IDK if it was seen on TV but at the end of OT Dowd nearly murdered someone over it. I have NEVER seen Dowd enraged like that!
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
southernhusky
3rd Line

Unread post 18 Jan 2014, 22:01

Lazy play.
motox
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 18 Jan 2014, 22:45

One point at home is not going to get the job done. Not sure what happened with the no goal call at the end of the game but no use complaining about the refs. Every team can do that. Play well enough, score goals on the PP (which the Huskies had plenty of opportunities to do) and take the refs out of the game.

Give credit to the Broncos...they are a big, physical team and they are very well coached.