DU Pioneers

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 11 Jan 2014, 23:13

The penalties were imaginary. Both goalie interference calls were horrid.
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 11 Jan 2014, 23:17

Unlike some Husky teams of the past though, these guys do not quit. They are working their butts off to get back in this.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 11 Jan 2014, 23:18

mdneilson wrote:The penalties were imaginary. Both goalie interference calls were horrid.
Maybe, maybe not, still can't give them 3 PP's in the first and be in that position.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 11 Jan 2014, 23:20

Definitely gotta get back to work on D. 15 goals in our last 4 games. Won't last long doing that.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 11 Jan 2014, 23:32

This loss can be ENTIRELY blamed on Lindgren.

Kid wasn't ready, simple as that.

Why the heck do you even THINK of starting him after last night? Fedz STOLE the Friday Game for us, what with how dominant the Pioneers were for long stretches.

Very frustrating Game tonight :(
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Jan 2014, 01:07

It is not Lindgren's fault that they did not come out ready to play and only seemeed to match DU's intensity after he was pulled. That is a large part of what led to the loss.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
southernhusky
3rd Line

Unread post 12 Jan 2014, 10:40

I'm going to give as much info as I feel should be shared. Benik, I know nothing about. I don't ask Nic about such things as I have no right/need to know and certainly could not pass on medical info he gives me. The boys were having trouble with the altitude. If you haven't been to Colorado then it's hard to explain. We went as a family many times growing up and altitude is hit or miss. Worst I ever got was when I was 19. Had been 8 straight years prior to that. Boys didn't play a good game. Sloppy passes and sloppy play...more to that, but I don't extend too much criticism to young men who work their asses off. I want to note the play of Brodz and his line last night. They didn't seem to be feeling much of the altitude and were fast all night, but one line doesn't win games. I can say that Nic is fine. He will likely be sore but hopefully no lasting effects.
southernhusky
3rd Line

Unread post 12 Jan 2014, 10:42

I don't know anything about the decision to start Lindgren and I frankly think it was a bad move,, but I don't coach the Huskies
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Jan 2014, 10:42

Still. Lindgren may not be ready for prime time.
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Jan 2014, 13:08

Good to hear that Nic is gonna be okay! Thanks for the update Southern! :)

I also want to address my earlier post and Rabid's repsonse:

Last night, I posted right after the game and was HELLA frustrated.

I don't blame Charlie himself, rather the coaching staff for throwing him to the wolves. Faragher played the game of his life the night before and BARELY won that one. The final score didn't tell the story at all, DU dominated for long stretches but were held off by Fedz. Lindgren was not ready to face that kind of pressure at this point of his career, and he gave up multiple bad Goals.
The altitude didn't help the boys either, and we played sloppy early on.

All the same, I think Lindgren will be solid for us in the future, even later this Season.

But! That's done and it's time to look forward to the Coborn's Red Out on Friday! :)
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
aries
3rd Line

Unread post 12 Jan 2014, 13:31

My lone criticism with Motzko is his management of the goaltenders. He did the same with Dan Dunn and Mike Lee -- I never thought much of Dunn, and especially later in Lee's career he was clearly the number 1 goalie, yet Motzko would trot Dunn out there on a semi-regular basis. I can see giving the backup a start if the #1 had an offnight or what have you, but as the poster above stated Faragher played lights out yesterday.

To make it clear so as not to label me anti-Motzko or anything: I think he's one of the best coaches in college hockey and has done a spectacular job building the program here. I wouldn't want any other coach behind my bench if you were to ask me.
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Jan 2014, 14:38

If Lindgren wins, no one cares. Motzko took a shot, he was shaky and the team didn't pick up for him. Lindgren NEEDS to be thrown into the fire at some point. There are no Tech's, UAA's etc in this league to thrown him in against. Every team in this league can bite any other team. I mean look at Miami, preseason #1, picked to win the league, they're in last. This league is going to be a war and there is no real place to "shelter" Lindgren. I'd much rather have him thrown in now when we can "afford" a loss and have him learn and be ready to take the job when Faragher leaves than have him be untested when he takes over.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Jan 2014, 15:55

Keep in mind too: A loss on the road actually counts as 80% of a loss, due to the new weighting system.

I agree with Rabid. You have to test out your back netminders, but there is a better time, place, and method to doing it. As per Hatten, Charlie's start was a last-minute decision made right before the game. And from Southern's info, we know they had mild altitude sickness. I went backpacking through the Rockies in New Mexico up through Colorado (but still lower elevation than Denver), and it was tough, even at the end of the two weeks. It feels like a hangover that never eases up and takes your stamina with it... and you thought sitting at a desk with a hangover was bad. ;)

Really, I think it was ill advised to shock a freshman goalie right before a game when the whole team had altitude sickness. He was clearly nervous, and shored up his game after the first five minutes, but still not quite ready for primetime. I doubt that sticking him in net in a high-pressure situation, and then pulling him before the half, will do much for his confidence. Not to mention that goalies are supposed to be weird and all.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 13 Jan 2014, 07:04

I lived in Denver for a year. It takes about 2 weeks for your body to fully adjust to the altitude. Any high strenuous activity and you feel fine then all of a sudden you feel a little faint from lack of oxygen and your brain wants to shut down. It takes awhile to recover. Dowd complained of it after the first game in the interviews. Brittain played great Saturday. You can't blame Lindgren when you don't see the puck. Their D is great at using screens and getting pucks through traffic.
We have a chance to make ammends at home in February. More importantly we need to get ready for a tough Western Michigan team this weekend. It should be another good one.

This is funny, the Denver post game writeup has Faragher giving up 4 goals and Lindgren replacing him...
http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewArtic ... =209369459" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just wanted to note that we have beat quite a few times on a shot directly off of a faceoff so I would say the onus is more on the Fwd's coverage on the faceoffs than the goalie. They need to be much more aggressive getting out on their man.

Credit the linesman with an assist on the last goal. There should have been a icing and a faceoff in their end. Instead it gets waved off and then we ice it the other way. We seem to get out of a defensive mentality in our own end at times thinking we will win the faceoff.
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 13 Jan 2014, 13:11

Also keep in mind it is important to play the backup once in a while. Knock on wood, but injuries happen so if he never plays we would be in a world of hurt if their was a injury adn he ahsn't played all year.