DU Pioneers

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
Husky4Life
1st Line

Unread post 06 Jan 2014, 14:50

Big road points on the line this weekend. Lets hope the guys pick up where they left off in the 1st half of the season-playing so well on the road. Feel like I say this to myself every weekend, but I hope we don't overlook this team.

Really want to win the inaugural season championship of the NCHC and be back to back conference champions. Banners trophies banners trophies banners trophies!!
"SCSU Hockey-Future Multiple National Championship Winners!"
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 06 Jan 2014, 18:33

Why the concern with overlooking opponents? Seriously, they haven't done it with anyone they've played this season, why would they do it with DU on the road in their first series of the 2nd half? The team and the staff is just too grounded for that. We aren't the Gophers, or the Whioux. :)
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
Husky4Life
1st Line

Unread post 07 Jan 2014, 14:51

I think its because I am still trying to convince myself that we really are this good. I'm probably just being glass half empty guy. Besides the Union series everything has gone so well, just don't want the bottom to fall out. I know I know gotta stop being so pessimistic!
"SCSU Hockey-Future Multiple National Championship Winners!"
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Jan 2014, 15:23

You know Dahl doesn't coach this team anymore right? :) i'd be worried if I saw indications that the bottom could fall out, but there haven't been any. They have won close games, they are balanced, good defense, good goaltending. We are a good team.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread post 07 Jan 2014, 17:52

This years team seems to play better then it is, or in other words they know how to win. Talent wise just about anyone can match up with us so as a fan it's hard to get to confident but at the same time no reason to ever think we will have a bad weekend. Hopefully this year follows the pattern of last year and the second half is more impressive then the first.
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread post 07 Jan 2014, 17:54

If in the second half we flip the road success and home success I think fans will be a lot happier. If you attended every home game but was unaware what they did on the road you probably wouldn't think this is that great of a team.
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Jan 2014, 19:00

mikecgrimes wrote:If in the second half we flip the road success and home success I think fans will be a lot happier. If you attended every home game but was unaware what they did on the road you probably wouldn't think this is that great of a team.
Those fans would also be ignorant. I don't care where we win and I would hope most fans wouldn't either. Besides, it's not like we get to play much at home when the playoffs hit.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Jan 2014, 12:43

This team is better on the small ice. I don't mean that in a bad way either. It bodes well for playoff time. also the community needs to come support this team. Attendence has been a joke the last two years especially since this team has been so good over that time. If they fill that arena every night like they should I bet the team plays better at home. Don't get me wrong it shouldn't matter if the palce is empty, but it does help.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Jan 2014, 15:50

Rabid_Husky wrote:
mikecgrimes wrote:If in the second half we flip the road success and home success I think fans will be a lot happier. If you attended every home game but was unaware what they did on the road you probably wouldn't think this is that great of a team.
Those fans would also be ignorant. I don't care where we win and I would hope most fans wouldn't either. Besides, it's not like we get to play much at home when the playoffs hit.
But the school still needs money to keep the athletics department afloat, and we all know that hockey is the only real draw for the school. Attendance has been appalling since the Mosey locker room fiasco a couple years back.

Community support isn't the only thing that keeps these guys going, of course. But just look at the reports from when they returned to a packed airport from the regional championship last year; they internalized the support immediately.

I don't understand how we can put a team like this on the ice two years running, and have stagnant attendance. (although, better local reporting from the paper would go a long way... not bashing Hatten, bashing the editors.)
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Jan 2014, 16:10

I still think a lot of it is the money. Most of the alums do not live in St. Cloud so they have to travel and factoring in a hotel (most likely) tickets and food, it's a big expense, especially for 10-11 weekends out of the winter. We aren't charging as much as MN or UND, but this is still a blue collar town and if people can find cheaper forms of entertainment, they will. (i.e., SCSU basketball for $10 for two games per night)
Also, attendence is down for hockey all over, UW can't sell out, MN can't either. UMD was half full when we were there....etc.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 09 Jan 2014, 11:22

SCSU Men's hockey site...
#2 Huskies on the Road to #17 Denver
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 09 Jan 2014, 13:46

Rabid_Husky wrote:I still think a lot of it is the money. Most of the alums do not live in St. Cloud so they have to travel and factoring in a hotel (most likely) tickets and food, it's a big expense, especially for 10-11 weekends out of the winter. We aren't charging as much as MN or UND, but this is still a blue collar town and if people can find cheaper forms of entertainment, they will. (i.e., SCSU basketball for $10 for two games per night)
Also, attendence is down for hockey all over, UW can't sell out, MN can't either. UMD was half full when we were there....etc.
I agree that most of the alumni live in the twin cities. I was a rare breed that drove to and from st. cloud 110 miles round trip every game day for 14 years after I graduated. With 3 kids in hockey I don't have the time to do it any more. I haven't even seen the finished upgrades to the arena yet.

With that said Kurtz's screwed a lot of things up the last 5 or 6 years he was with the school. He shrank the student section, chased students and some loyal local fans away with his political correctness because a few fair weather fans didn't like the atmosphere. The students stopped going to games for a couple years and then he took away a bunch of student seats because he thought locals would show up and then those fair weather fans stopped coming once the program stopped doing as well as they did in the early to mid 200's. We haven't had a loud rowdy crowd in years. I ahve only watched the games on TV(internet feed) this year, but the crowds look awful and when I text my couple friends who still go to games they confirm how small and lame the crowd is. It's really shame since this team deserves the fan support and backing like some of the other great teams in out programs history. :(
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 09 Jan 2014, 14:09

scsutommyboy wrote:I agree that most of the alumni live in the twin cities. I was a rare breed that drove to and from st. cloud 110 miles round trip every game day for 14 years after I graduated. With 3 kids in hockey I don't have the time to do it any more. I haven't even seen the finished upgrades to the arena yet.
I had season tickets three years ago, but I honestly had a difficult time finding people to go with me to games. More often than not, I'd end up taking my (then) five year-old. I went back to grad school and attended a handful of games as a student the last two seasons. I've been up for three games this season, witnessing a loss and two ties. :(

I agree with Tommy about the damage inflicted by shrinking and muffling the student section. Outside of that, it's an economic, pricing, and marketing issue. College hockey attendance is down overall and the national media considers NCAA hockey an afterthought. The ticket prices are too high and the season ticket packages are too inflexible. (How about Saturday nights only?)

As for me, I have more obligations now than I used to. I'd be open to more Friday night rituals (meal, drinks, shuttle to the game), but I don't have a regular buddy to go with. :(

One more note: Weems was asking the question about televisions impact on attendance. This scares me. I don't want to see blackouts as an experiment to boost attendance. I think I mostly diffused her thinking when I mentioned how important high-profile, high-quality productions were to the Mass Comm department. There could be NOBODY at a game and it should still be televised!
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 09 Jan 2014, 15:10

scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 09 Jan 2014, 15:48

The_Exiled_One wrote:
scsutommyboy wrote:I agree that most of the alumni live in the twin cities. I was a rare breed that drove to and from st. cloud 110 miles round trip every game day for 14 years after I graduated. With 3 kids in hockey I don't have the time to do it any more. I haven't even seen the finished upgrades to the arena yet.
I had season tickets three years ago, but I honestly had a difficult time finding people to go with me to games. More often than not, I'd end up taking my (then) five year-old. I went back to grad school and attended a handful of games as a student the last two seasons. I've been up for three games this season, witnessing a loss and two ties. :(

I agree with Tommy about the damage inflicted by shrinking and muffling the student section. Outside of that, it's an economic, pricing, and marketing issue. College hockey attendance is down overall and the national media considers NCAA hockey an afterthought. The ticket prices are too high and the season ticket packages are too inflexible. (How about Saturday nights only?)

As for me, I have more obligations now than I used to. I'd be open to more Friday night rituals (meal, drinks, shuttle to the game), but I don't have a regular buddy to go with. :(

One more note: Weems was asking the question about televisions impact on attendance. This scares me. I don't want to see blackouts as an experiment to boost attendance. I think I mostly diffused her thinking when I mentioned how important high-profile, high-quality productions were to the Mass Comm department. There could be NOBODY at a game and it should still be televised!
When I was in school games were tape delayed and were on right after the game ended. I am pretty sure Wisconsin use to do the same thing. They could do that and still show it live in twin cities on comcast or people could pay for the internet feed like I do now since I ahve directv and don't get the games. I am not sure what the answer is, but they need to get butts in the seats. If I lived in St. Cloud I would still have tickets because I would make a lot more of them. It just kills me to see the NHC half empty every night. This team deserves better.