RPI #1 SCSU vs #9 Union Dec 13-14, 2013

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Dec 2013, 07:24

SCSU Men's hockey site...
#1 Huskies to Host #9/10 Union College on Dec. 13-14

Union Men's hockey site...
#9/10 Union To Meet Dartmouth, #1 St. Cloud State This Week

Union is alone at the top of the ECAC with a 3-2 win over Dartmouth Wed night.
This should be a great battle between two top 10 teams and good test to see where we stand against the eastern teams.
Sam Coatta Jr Fwd from Minnetonka is their only Minnesota player.

Team stats... http://www.collegehockeystats.net/1314/teamstats/unim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Team roster... http://www.unionathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=mhockey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Union hockey blogs...
By Ryan Fay...
Union Hockey Blog

Official Blog of Union Hockey

Union Hockey blog Facebook
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Dec 2013, 07:50

Union College wiki

Union Dutchmen ice hockey wiki

Union Hockey Team history USCHO

Schenectady, New York wiki
Schenectady- Mohawk word for "on that side of the pinery," or "near the pines," or "place beyond the pine plains." Pop 66135 Located near the confluence of the Mohawk and Hudson rivers 19 miles NW of Albany.

Several articles...
Schenectady, NY The Daily Gazette Local Sports

ECAC Men's Hockey
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread post 12 Dec 2013, 10:27

I have a bad feeling about this weekend, but maybe it's more just knowing how impossible it is to maintain the #1 rating. Saturday in Duluth should leave me feeling better then ever about this team, but all these 1 goal games make each game a loss waiting to happen. Last year it seemed the non conference games were a chance to relax play the back up goalie and use a loss as a learning experience. Of course outside of the Gopher game these are the only remaining game against a current top 10 team, and at this point winning NCHC games doesn't seem more important then winning non conference games.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Dec 2013, 10:49

No bad feelings are allowed in the HBNHC. Keep it positive. This team deserves fans that bring energy and passion to the game and push them over the top, something to feed off of. Fans sittings on their hands fretting or awaiting disaster can stay home this series. I have really been disappointed in the energy level fans have brung so far this year at home. The Miami series stands out but probably because there was so little scoring. There was a couple highs here and there -PP, PK etc. Go Huskies!

I think this team has shown they are a once in a decade very special team and they probably deserve all the support we can give them.
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Dec 2013, 11:30

Amen, hockeypuck! :)

We need to show as much support as possible at the Brooks Center, these guys are giving us a historic season!
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Dec 2013, 11:48

Agreed and a second thought is to thank all of the coaches on the great recruiting job they have done. Motzko mentioned a couple weeks ago is the deepest team he has had so far. Gibbons, Raboin and Johnson are a big part of that. Looking up and down the line up, I really like what I see.
Plus the volunteer asst goalie coach Dave Rogalski must be doing something right-third year. 8-)
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Dec 2013, 12:05

mikecgrimes wrote:I have a bad feeling about this weekend, but maybe it's more just knowing how impossible it is to maintain the #1 rating. Saturday in Duluth should leave me feeling better then ever about this team, but all these 1 goal games make each game a loss waiting to happen. Last year it seemed the non conference games were a chance to relax play the back up goalie and use a loss as a learning experience. Of course outside of the Gopher game these are the only remaining game against a current top 10 team, and at this point winning NCHC games doesn't seem more important then winning non conference games.
They are making plays when they need to, that's the sign of a good team. Losing to Union won't be the end of the world as they are a good team as well, but I also expect them to be tired as by the end of this weekend, they will have played 5 games in 9 days. Yes the conference is more important, but these guys will be ready, especially after last Friday's performance. And who cares about being #1 at this point, just keep playing our game, the rankings will take care of themselves.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread post 12 Dec 2013, 14:50

hockeypuck wrote:No bad feelings are allowed in the HBNHC. Keep it positive. This team deserves fans that bring energy and passion to the game and push them over the top, something to feed off of. Fans sittings on their hands fretting or awaiting disaster can stay home this series. I have really been disappointed in the energy level fans have brung so far this year at home. The Miami series stands out but probably because there was so little scoring. There was a couple highs here and there -PP, PK etc. Go Huskies!

I think this team has shown they are a once in a decade very special team and they probably deserve all the support we can give them.
I know my comments seemed negative, but they were more along the lines of we're due to have a dud (as is Union as is Minnesota, Michigan, Ferris State...)

Works made it hard for me to get to the many games this year but it's all positive at the HBNHC. I wish I could complain about the more negative fans I've heard at games, but until we start filling the building it's hard to complain. Wish the Twin Cities media would be more supportive. Not asking jerks like Jeff Dubay to promote the Huskies, but when you're doing your 5 minute Gopher infomercial, you could mention some of the other great teams in college hockey. Of course that would require you to be aware that there are great hockey programs not named Minnesota Wisconsin North Dakota Boston College Michigan and Notre Dame.

As for this being a once in a decade Huskies team, maybe based on the past that could be true, but looking forward I have an expectation that this will be closer to the norm at least as long as Motzko is around. The days where home ice in the WCHA/NCHC playoff being considered an accomplishment should be over. Recruiting seems to be at a much higher level then it was even 3 or 4 year ago. Success builds more success and by seasons end if we continue to be a top 5 team the building will fill up
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Dec 2013, 16:48

Agreed on basically all your point mike!

This is a special team, no doubt, but so was last year's, and if we have another special year next year they won't be "special" anymore, they'll be expected. I think we need to Believe in Bob ;)

And I ESPECIALLY agree on your point about the TC media. If you only followed that, you'd swear the goofs were the only hockey team in the state (besides the Wild, but yeah).

As for your dud comment, I think we ALL agree that should be the U18 game haha.
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Dec 2013, 22:08

We had our dud game Friday in Duloot, and still won. I rest my case.
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread post 12 Dec 2013, 22:26

I don't care how, if you score 3 goals plus an empty netter it's not much of a dud game, but getting through games like that is how you turn small streaks into big streaks.
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Dec 2013, 23:00

Twin cities media is never going to follow this program. Dubay is never going to talk about the Huskies because 1500 is the radio home for the gophers. All that shouldn't stop the local St. Cloud market from supporting the team or the 18,000 students from supporting the team. It is sad the arena isn't filled every night like it use to be. This team deserves better.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Dec 2013, 23:14

mikecgrimes wrote:I don't care how, if you score 3 goals plus an empty netter it's not much of a dud game, but getting through games like that is how you turn small streaks into big streaks.
It was a HUGE dud of a game, just a lucky dud for us. This team just has a lot of grit and character. Union will be a great test, being the highest ranked team that we've played this year.
mikecgrimes
1st Line

Unread post 12 Dec 2013, 23:39

scsutommyboy wrote:Twin cities media is never going to follow this program. Dubay is never going to talk about the Huskies because 1500 is the radio home for the gophers. All that shouldn't stop the local St. Cloud market from supporting the team or the 18,000 students from supporting the team. It is sad the arena isn't filled every night like it use to be. This team deserves better.
If the Gophers were a .500 team right now trust me the Twin Cities media would be mentioning the Huskies. Dubay can tell you all the names of the Gopher players, and he can tell you what someone who knows hockey thinks of those players, thats it for his knowledge of college hockey. His co host should set him straight when he mocks the idea that the Huskies are #1. That being said Reusse will talk up the Huskies every once in a while and as we get into the 2nd half of the season and get more hockey guests 1500 will have no problem talking up the Huskies when they deserve it. Best way to promote the Gophers is to promote all of college hockey.
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 13 Dec 2013, 02:16

mdneilson wrote:
mikecgrimes wrote:I don't care how, if you score 3 goals plus an empty netter it's not much of a dud game, but getting through games like that is how you turn small streaks into big streaks.
It was a HUGE dud of a game, just a lucky dud for us. This team just has a lot of grit and character. Union will be a great test, being the highest ranked team that we've played this year.
Miami was #7 when we played them.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle