Bob Motzko Coach's Show 2013-14

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 06 Jan 2014, 19:37

Kolorful Ken called KNSI today and was told the show was cancelled, due to winter.
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 14 Jan 2014, 01:58

The Motzko Show January 13, 2014

Husky coach Bob Motzko addressed his decision to start freshman goaltender Charlie Lindgren on Saturday night right away--beating all the evil questioners from the audience to the punch. "I didn't tell him he was starting until Saturday afternoon," said Motzko. "I should have told him right after the Friday game so that he could have more time preparing for the start."

Joey Benik was injured in the Friday game. Best guess scenario is that Benik will be out a few weeks. It was opined by a player that the injury wasn't as bad as first thought . . .

Some of us asked affable radio star and host of the show Dan Terhaar about the series. I listened to both games, and Mr. Terhaar is rapidly developing his own "Husky style" announcing skills. He is more involved in the game, and becoming very in tune with the players and style of play. He is also much quicker to point out flaws in the reffing of some games, and is delightful to listen to. Remember that Terhaar came to the Huskies with no prep time, and he seems to be a quick learner. He also seems to match well with the coach--a renowned suspect of any and all media types.

Motzko was asked about his "discussion" with Denver coach Jim Montgomery following the Saturday game. Evidently Montgomery was yelling at some of the SCSU players during the Saturday game and OUR coach wanted to know why he was talking to them. Oh, the answer given by Motzko regarding the "discussion?" Motzko smiled and said "He listened." He also added that Montgomery wrote an apology letter to Motzko. Montgomery, to his credit, apologized to Jimmy Murray during the end of the series handshake.

Player Guest David Morley.

David Morley showed true bravery as he walked into the show and sat at the Unofficial Assistant Coaches table. Even though we told him it was okay to heckle the coach from this position, he held firm and was well-behaved. Host Dan Terhaar noticed the guest, and asked Motzko if there was anything he needed to know before the player segment. The coach went into one of his ramblings about long hair, and how Morley needs to take better care of it. Morley told us that the coach won't let players wear caps/hats when out in public (like airports and things). The coach soon was smiling and talked about David Morley that had two serious concussions, and not only missed a year and a half of hockey games, but also was not allowed to work out during this time. Motzko said that he and Morley met last summer, and Morley was very direct that he would be in top shape by the fall. Indeed he is, being one of the most improved players on the team. He did what he needed to do, and the coach was very proud of that.

The coach also said today's practice got "spirited and physical". Morley broke into a big smile. After his segment, he was asked who were the participants in the "physical" part of the practice. "Well, that would be me and Garrett Milan," he stated. "We kind of squared off, and I could see the rest of the team lined up. They were all laughing!" Both Milan and Morley were getting along famously by the end of practice. Morley did say that scuffles in practice are "more common than you'd think." We then asked him if he was going to go after Ben Storm. The answer was quick and to the point: "No".

--During the World Junior Tournament, TV color guy Dave Starman couldn't say enough good things about assistant coach Bob Motzko. I asked the coach if they were friends. He said he knows him because of hockey, but not good friends. He explained that Starman works for CBS Sports and that means he is the NCHC color guy (he will be present this Friday for the nationally televised game against Western Michigan). He said that "Starman is an NCHC guy, and was promoting the league." (I think Motzko was buying Starman breakfast every day in Sweden, but can't prove it!)

--The coach on Malmo, Sweden: "Malmo must be in the part of Sweden that doesn't get much sun. We were there 21 days and had three days of sunshine."
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 14 Jan 2014, 07:23

Thanks for the great update Boomer!
motox
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 14 Jan 2014, 12:43

Excellent recap Boomer! Thank you!
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 21 Jan 2014, 03:56

The Motzko Show January 20, 2014

SCSU coach Bob Motzko was feeling left out of the Friday night game against Western Michigan. He noticed that the referees were "spending all their time" talking with Western's coach Andy Murray. Finally there was a face off and Motzko got the attention of one of the refs and signaled him over. Motzko was checking if they would ever talk to him. So the ref asks our coach "Well, what did you want to talk about"? Motzko answered, "Nothing right now."

Of course later in that game, and often in the Saturday game, Motzko and the refs had plenty of conversations, and lots to talk about . . .

The Huskies are now ranked #5 in the nation. I'm not sure if that is the RPI, PWR, guesswork from ESPN, or TWA. Pretty sure it's not TWA.

By now it is a pretty sure bet that Motzko doesn't much like the shootout portion of the game. He even went on to say that he would take suggestions from the unofficial assistants in this case!

The coach was proud of his team's performance and steady energy level in the Saturday game. Motzko thought that Western Michigan "stole" the game from the Huskies; that goaltender Hafner was the difference on that night.

Ah, the refs. Motzko on the late penalty to Andrew Prochno for boarding during a lengthy scrum in front of the Husky bench: "They should have blown the whistle--the play was dead."

Motzko chose his words carefully regarding the controversial "no goal" call with 2:09 left in the third period. He received two different stories: one was that Western had control of the puck and the whistle blew because of the delayed Western penalty. The second was that the whistle blew because they lost sight of the puck. Motzko conceded that the play was not reviewable, but that "they made the wrong call." When asked his reaction to the replay on the video board, he kind of looked around and said, "I thought it was great!" Obviously when 5000 fans see the puck clearly go in the net, and then not get credit for it, the place went goofy.

Player Guest Jimmy Murray Murray has been hot lately, scoring four goals in the past four games. He voiced his appreciation of the coaching staff for sticking with him--he has been on the first or second line for most of the time here at SCSU. "Coach Motzko just kept telling me to keeping working hard and good things would happen. He has confidence in me." When radio star and celebrity host Dan Terhaar asked Murray about his first goal Friday night on a partial breakaway, Murray shrugged his shoulders and quipped, "I just shut my eyes and shot the puck!" The Chicagoan--via Omaha Lancers--does have some swagger. Murray also said that Ben Storm seems to be fine and practiced today. Terhaar asked him about Jonny Brodzinski's shot. "Well, I believe it is at NHL quality right now," Murray answered. "All I know is that if he is going to take a shot and I'm on the ice, I am getting out of the way."

Coach Motzko was asked about the next game against the Gophers in the North Star Cup evening session next Friday. With a grin he states "Well, we all know they can't be beat." He also said that the Huskies are looking at this coming weekend as a series of two games. And he added that these two games will certainly count towards national rankings, and both games are important. He was excited when AD Heather Weems said that about only 4,000 tickets remain for the Gopher-Huskies game. Motzko said that "I wouldn't be surprised if it is a full house. It will be a whale of a game."
aries
3rd Line

Unread post 21 Jan 2014, 17:29

Boomer wrote:The Motzko Show January 20, 2014

Motzko chose his words carefully regarding the controversial "no goal" call with 2:09 left in the third period. He received two different stories: one was that Western had control of the puck and the whistle blew because of the delayed Western penalty. The second was that the whistle blew because they lost sight of the puck.
I've also heard another theory, that they called a hand pass. None of these scenarios explains why the ensuing face-off was outside the offensive zone, contrary to what is standard when a power-play begins. A hand pass infraction results in a face-off in the offending team's defensive zone, so even that wouldn't be right (though perhaps the rule is changed when applied to the start of a penalty -- I'm not sure). Usually an explanation is given in the arena, or at the very least something is reported in one of the newspapers in the game story. None of this was clearly explained then, or since.
LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 27 Jan 2014, 02:18

Well, for the first time in over a decade classes are canceled Monday and offices at the university won't be open until 12pm at the earliest. Question is are they canceling another Coach's Show because of this?

For those who forgot the last one that was canceled was because the university closed for the day because of of the windchill factor that day (think it was near or below -40 windchill)
Come to SCSU! Get whip-Lasch! -LadyHusky17

Did I mention I'm a bad speller? -LadyHusky17
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 27 Jan 2014, 12:54

I'm planning on calling the radio station later to see. If anyone else finds out, post it please. :)
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 27 Jan 2014, 15:11

Just called the station, show is still on.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 27 Jan 2014, 15:42

The Men's Hockey Twitter announced it about an hour before you called, lol. You didn't happen to ask who the guest is, did you?
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 28 Jan 2014, 17:45

The Motzko Show January 27, 2014

Well, neither Ms. nor Mr.Boomer were at the show (ONE of us had to work, and the other was a wimp!). Ms. B did listen to the show and shared this:

--Coach Motzko was pleased with how his team played. Especially the second game that he called "a must win."

--Motzko on the recent play of goalie Ryan Faragher: Every hockey player will go through a tough stretch--and we all know that Ryan is one of the better goalies in the country. We will let him work this out by continuing to play.

--Player Guest Jonny Brodzinski Jonny was talking about playing against his brother Mike, a Minnesota Gopher. There was one instance when Jonny was pestering Gopher goaltender Adam Wilcox and brother Mike skated by and clipped Jonny on the chin with his elbow. While Jonny would have liked Mike to have chosen the Huskies, he just says that "Mike is his own person" and the decision was solely his.

OK, that is the brief recap. As long as you are here, some Boomer thoughts on the North Star Cup (I was at all four games).

Hockey Groupie Stuff: Talked with 33 year veteran scout of the New Jersey Devils, Ed Tomlinson. Tomlinson played for UND and has a fancy national championship ring from 1959 to show for it. Before the first game (UMD v. 'Kato) he said that UMD freshman Alex Iafallo was someone he was looking at. He was also very impressed with the play of #22 for the Huskies, Jonny Brodzinski. Well, the old guy still has a knack! Iafallo was outstanding in both games, and that #22 had 3 goals and an assist during the tournament.

Ran into my old friend and one of my favorite hockey players, Taylor Johnson. Taylor states he is out of hockey and didn't find a deal to his liking in the pros. Mom had a bit different memory. She said Taylor turned down an offer to play for the Utah Grizzlies in the ECHL. He also had a chance to play in Europe, but decided against it. "I just thought that it was time to join the adult world and get a real job," said Taylor.

The Gopher AND Husky fans sitting in the row behind us had one thing in common: they were drunk, obnoxious and obscene. They were within an eyelash of being asked to leave by security. Being loud and rowdy is one thing--these idiots were disgusting.

And MOST of the gopher fans again confirmed my biased opinion that goph fans are the absolute worst of all college hockey. Just my humble opinion!! :?
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 28 Jan 2014, 19:33

I feel like it is a bit early, but the teams we will play non-con next year are: A home and home with the Gophers, at Union, Colgate at home, at Bemidji, and Alabama at home.

Bob was also kind enough to call us all stupid for going out in the cold for a show that we can listen to on the radio.
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 28 Jan 2014, 20:24

Pretty solid non-con slate:
"Easy" Teams (UAH, Colgate)
In-State Rivals (BSU, UMN)
Top Teams (Union, UMN)

And ya gotta love Bob! ;)
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 28 Jan 2014, 20:34

He told me who the year after was going to be (the next three years are already worked out, but I can't recall who they were - it was a while ago). The third series with 'bama next season finalizes the agreement that we have with them. I assume the same goes for Union/BSU/Colgate, since we like to make 2-year home then away deals with other teams. I'm not sure if the Goophers are just a 1-year thing or not. I do love Bob's commitment to playing eastern teams every year. I just wish I had the dough to go out to their rinks.
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 28 Jan 2014, 20:40

As far as I know, the goofer thing is only for 1 year, as the following Season we'll be back in the tournament.

And hopefully Bob will sign on for more Series with Bemidji. I love the Beavers, and in-state rivalries are the best! Ideally we could also slip in a regular Series with Mankato as well.
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!