Bob Motzko Coach's Show 2013-14

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 27 Nov 2013, 01:38

Rabid_Husky wrote:Now I'm really interested to know who this kid is.

[Note to Rabid and TEO]

Brodzinski said the "kid" is playing in the USHL--at least he thought so . . .
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 27 Nov 2013, 01:53

HuskyFan64 wrote:Another week, another awesome write-up from Boomer!
You're a boss dude :)

JonnyB is awesome, sounds like he made a fantab guest last night.

I think the best part though is that the boys planned on doing the Chicken Dance :lol:

Gotta love the Huskies! :D
Thanks, HF64!

Yes, Jonny Brodzinski was a great guest, and a few of us talked with him after the show--for about 45 minutes. We discussed his dad, Mike, at length. I am so old that I remember watching Mike play for the Huskies--especially his senior year under Herb Brooks. Mike was a two-time All American, and as a prolific scorer as there was. He was also a bit independent, and some folks at the time may have thought he was hard to coach.

In 1987 I had the great opportunity to interview Herb Brooks. I asked how he coached a guy like Mike Brodzinski--a guy that could score from any place on the ice, sometimes played some defense, and basically was the leader on the team. Brooks just looked at me and said, "I don't really do any coaching with Mike. I just write his name on the lineup card and watch him put up points." The one time Brooks did coach Mike was during the pre-game brawl at the MAC against River Falls. While all other players were engaged in the brawl, Brooks had a firm grip on Brodzinski's sweater, and told him NOT to leave the bench. After all, Brooks still wanted to win the upcoming game, and didn't want his top scorer to get DQ'd before the opening face off. The Huskies did win the game. Both teams had short benches.

Jonny says that his dad is still playing in three different leagues--including an under 25 league. Lets remember that Mike Brodzinski is almost 50 years old! Jonny added that his dad is also the leading scorer in all three leagues . . .
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 27 Nov 2013, 08:37

Boomer wrote:
Rabid_Husky wrote:Now I'm really interested to know who this kid is.

[Note to Rabid and TEO]

Brodzinski said the "kid" is playing in the USHL--at least he thought so . . .
If that's true, then he won't be a prolific scorer as of right now. At first I thought it might be this kid, but he's going to have eligibility issues.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 27 Nov 2013, 11:19

It likely isn't a high scorer. We're pretty loaded up front for forwards. I'd be looking at defense.
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 27 Nov 2013, 12:03

mdneilson wrote:It likely isn't a high scorer. We're pretty loaded up front for forwards. I'd be looking at defense.
Jarkko Parikka?

Meanwhile, the goofers just picked up a Swede.

~ Nic Dowd
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 27 Nov 2013, 12:25

The_Exiled_One wrote:
mdneilson wrote:It likely isn't a high scorer. We're pretty loaded up front for forwards. I'd be looking at defense.
Jarkko Parikka?

Meanwhile, the goofers just picked up a Swede.
...Who played with Russell last year in Linkoping
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
SCSUEuro
1st Line

Unread post 09 Dec 2013, 17:45

Somebody ask Bob what he thought of the atmosphere and road crowd in Duluth.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 11 Dec 2013, 07:39

No update from Boomer this week?

Here is a link to the podcast--
Bob Motzko Show Episode 7
December 10, 2013 2:15 pm
http://knsiradio.com/podcasts/coaches-show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 11 Dec 2013, 14:10

Boomer wasn't at the show, and didn't send his beautiful assistant either.
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Dec 2013, 02:35

The Duluth Update

I had to work until 7pm and Beautiful Assistant (Ms. Boomer) had other plans. :(

We were in Duluth with our 11 year-old grandson, however. Here are some observations:
-Following the Friday game--where the Huskies were a "bit" off, coach Bob Motzko and his coaching staff did not take the shuttle bus back to the hotel with the team. Instead,they walked.

-The usual 15 minute team meeting a few hours before the game Saturday took 1 1/2 hours . . .

-Ryan Faragher was lights out Friday night. In Duluth, they don't have a 3 stars pick, but choose one Player of the Game. Faragher was the choice.

-The move/play that Jonny Brodzinski made Friday night to score the winning goal was sick! One of the best plays I have seen. Froze the defenseman and then let go with a laser wrist shot from 25 feet that beat McNeely high. Wow . . .

-The announced attendance for both games was near-sellout, about 6300. The ACTUAL attendance was far less than that number.

-David Morley has slowly crept up on team leaders, and now has tied Nic Dowd for the team lead.

-Downtown (lake front) Duluth "only" received about two feet of snow (more up the hill). Treacherous walking, minus -18 Saturday morning with a stiff breeze coming off the lake. Not a good day for a leisurely walk around town . . .

-Saturday, the Huskies came out and out played UMD the entire game. Strong in all aspects of the game. Again, Faragher shined. Player of the Game on Saturday was David Morley.

-Eleven year-old was wearing a SCSU jersey with a UMD "gansta" type hat. The UMD fans behind us asked if he was confused. He said no. When Crandall make an easy save, the 11 y.o. turned to the Duluth fans and said, "Not a bad save--for a SIEVE!" The Duluth fans said something about meeting him in the parking lot after the game, and grandpa needed to buy more popcorn for the kid--just to keep his mouth busy!
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Dec 2013, 07:04

Thanks for the update/observations!
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Dec 2013, 23:36

A couple things from behind the scenes at the show:

-Bob will be working on the U18 team right away Sunday, so we'll have an official assistant coach in house to deal with the 'other' assistants.

-Motzko thinks that we're solid up front, with a bit more than four strong full lines. Our defense is also good, but added the disclaimer that we're a 7 d-man team - missing that important 8th man.
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 13 Dec 2013, 09:33

mdneilson wrote:A couple things from behind the scenes at the show:

-Bob will be working on the U18 team right away Sunday, so we'll have an official assistant coach in house to deal with the 'other' assistants.

-Motzko thinks that we're solid up front, with a bit more than four strong full lines. Our defense is also good, but added the disclaimer that we're a 7 d-man team - missing that important 8th man.
I assume you mean the U20 team? Also, more than 4 strong lines seems like overkill. You sure he didn't mean a bit more than three strong lines? Also not sure why a good 8th defenseman is important.

~ Nic Dowd
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 17 Dec 2013, 02:57

The Motzko Show--Starring Assistant Coach Garrett Raboin Dec. 16, 2013

Head coach Bob Motzko had a pretty good excuse for missing his show tonight--he is busy being an assistant coach to his old buddy, Don Lucia as they prepare for the World Junior Championship in Malmo, Sweden.

So the "star" performer was assistant coach Garrett Raboin, who is quickly learning "coach-speak." He answered all of host radio ace Dan Terhaar's questions. The unofficial assistant coaches had asked The Voice of the Huskies to ask the young Mr. Raboin the "tough" questions. Terhaar, becoming more comfortable with the undisciplined
unofficial ones, shot back, "There are no tough questions, just tough answers." Terhaar was quite pleased with himself with the comeback.

Raboin's energy and passion for St. Cloud State hockey is very evident. He talked of playing three years of juniors in Lincoln, Nebraska--and well into the third year, he hadn't had much contact from college recruiters. He said coach Motzko went to Lincoln to talk to him, and Raboin did more of the recruiting than Motzko did. "That may have been the first time a player really tried to convince the coach to recruit a player. I almost begged him for a chance."

Raboin, as you recall, was a smallish defenseman that was not highly recruited. Motzko gave him a chance, and the rest is history. Raboin captained the team both his junior and senior years. He developed into an outstanding D-I defender, and a true leader that influenced later captains like Ben Hanowski and Drew LeBlanc. One of the Huskies' strengths in the past few years has been the leadership from the upper classmen.

Raboin hedged a bit when asked if Union was the best team the Huskies have faced so far. (That's the "coach-speak" stuff.) Finally he agreed that Union was the best team the Huskies have played. He mentioned, too, that in Friday's game, three of the four Union goals went in after hitting St. Cloud guys. Raboin, along with Motzko and Mike Gibbons, were pleased with how the Huskies played Saturday night--except for about four minutes in the second period (Union scored three goals in that time). The coaches were also pleased with how the Huskies came back to tie the game being down by two goals entering the third period.

Raboin was very impressed with the play of Jonny Brodzinski on Saturday night. He had 10 or 11 shots on goal, created several Union turnovers, and came up with the game-tying goal with 19 seconds left in the third period. He was also impressed with the play of T.J. Belisle. Previously, Belisle was mostly known for being Joey Benik's high school buddy. The game Saturday was his first action as a Huskie in 1 1/2 years. "Some guys that don't get much ice time kinda go through the motions in practice," said Raboin. "Not our guys. Belisle works hard every day in practice, and performed well when he got the chance."

Raboin also noted that the Huskies have survived so far with no serious injuries, and should be ready for the long haul beginning in January.
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 30 Dec 2013, 06:44

I saw Motzko on TV at the world junior tournament. Excellent choice if ties!