Bob Motzko Coach's Show 2013-14

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Oct 2013, 22:54

There was a bit more drama tonight than other opening Coach's Show with Bob Motzko. The main reason was that last year's edition of Husky Hockey went places no other SCSU hockey team had ever gone--MacNaughton Cup (winning the WCHA regular season), a Midwest Regional Championship and the trip to the Frozen Four. MVP years from Nick Jensen and Drew LeBlanc, and of course,the Hobey Baker award going to LeBlanc.

But most of the drama was the sad fact that the Voice of the Huskies, and long-time host of the Coach's Show, Don Lyons, was not there. He and Leighton Broadcasting, parted ways last week. The host for the initial show was JW Cox of KNSI. Cox is the football and basketball voice of the Huskies.

Things got off to a shaky start when JW called Bob Motzko "Scott." Cox must have been thinking football, as Scott Underwood is the SCSU football coach. Undeterred by this flub, Motzko listened to the hasty apology, and answered, "OK. If you don't call me Scott, I won't call you Don!" This also was a great segway for Coach Motzko to give a shout-out to his friend, Don Lyons. "Don was a part of Husky Hockey for many years, and he will be missed."

JW quickly rebounded from this, and found out interviewing Bob Motzko isn't as difficult as it could be. He would throw out a question, and then gently interrupt the coach about ten minutes later calling for a break.

After the first break, execs from Leighton made the announcement that the new "voice of the Huskies" would be Twin Cities radio talent Dan Terhaar. Terhaar was the best prospect out of over 60 applications for the job. Terhaar has been on WCCO and was the TV play by play guy for the Minnesota Wild. He will be doing essentially the same job duties that Lyons did. He will be behind the mic this coming Friday and Saturday for the Bemidji series.

The execs had two other bits of news: Dave Reichel, long time color guy for the Husky Hockey broadcasts, will be retained for at least this year. The execs also stated that local talent (KVSC) Zach Fisch was their second choice.

Bob Motzko's biggest concern right now is figuring out defensive pairings. The loss of Nick Jensen to the Detroit Red Wings organization is important, said the coach. So the ongoing question is who will be paired with Andrew Prochno? Prochno, you remember, was Jensen's partner for the past two seasons.

--Freshman Niclas Nevalainen will need to sit the first two games because of some tournament he played in Finland a few years ago. Kalle Kossila had the same thing happen to him last season. Must be a dandy tourney they hold each year in Finland . . .

--If you haven't yet seen the "new" Herb Brooks National Hockey Center, you are in for a treat. A great--and creative--improvement to the Home of the Huskies.
Fangs
2nd Line

Unread post 07 Oct 2013, 23:04

Boomer wrote:There was a bit more drama tonight than other opening Coach's Show with Bob Motzko. The main reason was that last year's edition of Husky Hockey went places no other SCSU hockey team had ever gone--MacNaughton Cup (winning the WCHA regular season), a Midwest Regional Championship and the trip to the Frozen Four. MVP years from Nick Jensen and Drew LeBlanc, and of course,the Hobey Baker award going to LeBlanc.

But most of the drama was the sad fact that the Voice of the Huskies, and long-time host of the Coach's Show, Don Lyons, was not there. He and Leighton Broadcasting, parted ways last week. The host for the initial show was JW Cox of KNSI. Cox is the football and basketball voice of the Huskies.

Things got off to a shaky start when JW called Bob Motzko "Scott." Cox must have been thinking football, as Scott Underwood is the SCSU football coach. Undeterred by this flub, Motzko listened to the hasty apology, and answered, "OK. If you don't call me Scott, I won't call you Don!" This also was a great segway for Coach Motzko to give a shout-out to his friend, Don Lyons. "Don was a part of Husky Hockey for many years, and he will be missed."

JW quickly rebounded from this, and found out interviewing Bob Motzko isn't as difficult as it could be. He would throw out a question, and then gently interrupt the coach about ten minutes later calling for a break.

After the first break, execs from Leighton made the announcement that the new "voice of the Huskies" would be Twin Cities radio talent Dan Terhaar. Terhaar was the best prospect out of over 60 applications for the job. Terhaar has been on WCCO and was the TV play by play guy for the Minnesota Wild. He will be doing essentially the same job duties that Lyons did. He will be behind the mic this coming Friday and Saturday for the Bemidji series.

The execs had two other bits of news: Dave Reichel, long time color guy for the Husky Hockey broadcasts, will be retained for at least this year. The execs also stated that local talent (KVSC) Zach Fisch was their second choice.

Bob Motzko's biggest concern right now is figuring out defensive pairings. The loss of Nick Jensen to the Detroit Red Wings organization is important, said the coach. So the ongoing question is who will be paired with Andrew Prochno? Prochno, you remember, was Jensen's partner for the past two seasons.

--Freshman Niclas Nevalainen will need to sit the first two games because of some tournament he played in Finland a few years ago. Kalle Kossila had the same thing happen to him last season. Must be a dandy tourney they hold each year in Finland . . .

--If you haven't yet seen the "new" Herb Brooks National Hockey Center, you are in for a treat. A great--and creative--improvement to the Home of the Huskies.
Thanks for another great update Boomer! The bug has officially bitten me hard. I am losing sleep dreaming of puck drop!
St. Cloud State University GGGGGOOOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!!
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Oct 2013, 12:45

Well I feel bad for Zack that he was there second choice. He has shown on the air and on these boards how much he loves SCSU hockey. I know Dan has a better resume' and I get why they picked him, but you can't make someone on the outside come in and have passion and love for our program. It is going to take Dan years to build up that up if ever at all. I know it took Lyon's a while to build it up.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Oct 2013, 20:32

Link to the show- audio...
http://knsiradio.com/podcasts/coaches-show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 13 Oct 2013, 20:48

We already have a bye week ahead. I cannot recall, is there a show this week, or next?
LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 13 Oct 2013, 21:49

mdneilson wrote:We already have a bye week ahead. I cannot recall, is there a show this week, or next?
Thought there was... best to ask Weems, she'd likely know as she frequented most of the shows last season.

Do they have a list of all the up coming shows like last year?
Come to SCSU! Get whip-Lasch! -LadyHusky17

Did I mention I'm a bad speller? -LadyHusky17
WoodonKNSI
Redshirt

Unread post 13 Oct 2013, 22:11

Yes there is a Bob Motzko Coaches Show Monday night. Dan Terhaar will be hosting from the Green Mill, and he won't call coach Motzko Scott.

Hope that helps! If you guys ever have a question, feel free to email me at Wood@knsiradio.com

Also if you guys have any ideas of things you would like to hear in the pregame, we are all ears, love to get some input from you guys.

Thanks,

Wood
LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 13 Oct 2013, 23:03

Just got a tweet back from the men's official account that Oliver's supposed to be the player guest as well.

LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 13 Oct 2013, 23:19

Also they sent the link for the shows this season: http://www.scsuhuskies.com/sports/2012/ ... aspx?id=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Somebody might want to put it in the first post for easy finding of it. Nice thing is this time they did a list of only the men's hockey shows rather than all coach's shows of all sports.

Here's the schedule though could be subject to change:
2013-14 Bob Motzko Coach's Show Schedule (subject to change)

Monday, October 7, 2013 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, October 14, 2013 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, October 28, 2013 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, Novembe 4, 2013 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, November 11, 2013 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, November 18, 2013 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, November 25, 2013 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, December 9, 2013 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, December 16, 2013 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, January 6, 2014 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, January 13, 2014 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, January 20, 2014 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, January 27, 2014 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, February 3, 2014 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, February 10, 2014 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, February 17, 2014 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, February 24, 2014 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, March 3, 2014 Green Mill 6:00 PM
Monday, March 10, 2014 Green Mill 6:00 PM

Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 15 Oct 2013, 15:04

The Motzko Show Oct. 14, 2013

I missed the show this week due to a pesky retirement part time job--but the very capable Ms. Boomer went as the scribe on this occasion. She came home with FOUR pages of notes! Here are some of her observations:

According to coach Bob Motzko, the Huskies handled all the distractions of opening night, first game at renovated Herb Brooks Nat'l Hockey Center, Hall of Fame stuff and unveiling of the WCHA Championship banner, etc. The coach was very happy with the play of freshman defenseman Ben Storm.

On forward Joey Benik and his two goals Friday, Motzko said: "That's who he is. He lives for the big moments."

Motzko thought the Huskies played better Saturday night in the tie. He said senior captain Kevin Gravel "sparked the team" all weekend, especially in the Saturday game. The coach was not the only one who noticed Gravel--he was awarded the NCHC first Defensive Player of the Week. Motzko said it a year ago and remains a fan of the shootout process.

As far as "tinkering" is concerned: Motzko will make some changes on the power play and with some of the line combinations. He also told Ms. Boomer that freshman Niklas Nevalainen will be playing against Colgate in two weeks. His assessment of freshman goaltender Charlie Lindgren was that "He was OK." The coach was not happy with all the missed shots on Saturday--he estimated that over 30 attempts missed the net.

Nick Oliver, alternate captain and a junior, was the player guest. He is one of Ms. B's favorite players, so she enjoyed listening to him. "Very poised and well-spoken" is how she described it.

Motzko says "there are more changes to come" on the college hockey scene. He sees the Big 10 league expanding from the current six team set. He also sees a break-up of the Atlantic Hockey Association, and that the NCHC will eventually have 10 teams . . .

Ms. Boomer misses the antics of Dandy Don Lyons, but had good things to say about Dan Terhaar. It was a busy week for Dan--interview, hire, get ready for his new gig. He told her that by the time he got home last Saturday night, he told his wife that "I am really done--I'm going to bed."
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 16 Oct 2013, 06:33

Interesting that he said Lindgren was OK when asked about him.

I wonder if that means anything, as normally a coach says a Goalie is Good even in defeat as long as they were solid (which Lindgren was, if a bit [reasonably] nervous and stiff).

Honestly, it's probably just his way of saying "Kid was solid, but can be better." Still, interesting to note.
(If you can't tell I just got off work and am bored and desperate for Husky Hockey :lol: )
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 29 Oct 2013, 01:37

The Motzko Show October 28, 2013

One of the more interesting items from the past weekend trip by the Huskies to New York (Colgate) was reported by coach Bob Motzko. On the way back to Minnesota, some airlines lost the stick bag for the team. Yup, all the sticks were missing for a day. That would have been more interesting if they were lost before the series!

Everyone--the coach, the guest Ryan Faragher, the host Dan Terhaar--all agreed that the lengthy early trip to the East was a good "team-building" experience for the players.

Motzko seems satisfied with the team after only four games. Being 3-0-1 doesn't hurt that opinion at all. The initial worry of the defensive side of the game this year has somewhat gone away with the good play from the two freshmen defensemen and stellar play from Gravel, Prochno, and Prow. The coach is still "tinkering" with the forward lines (he had Rehkamp and Bertsch on the top two lines in Colgate). He then stated that we "won't see the same lines this weekend in North Dakota that we had in Colgate."

We will let the local scribe Mick Hatten worry about getting that information prior to the games at the Ralph. Guessing from comments tonight, I would think Tedesco and Papa will stay in the lineup.

Player Guest Ryan Faragher. Let's give kudos right away to host Dandy Dan Terhaar. Here's the first question to goaltender Faragher: "So, Ryan, most of us announcer-types always say that goalies are weird. Is that true with you, too"? Faragher had the same look he has when facing a two on one break. Faragher denied such a thought and said that he "was pretty normal." And like on the ice, Faragher was cool, calm and poised during the interview. He is looking forward to the opening of NCHC play in North Dakota. Faragher said he was comfortable in the toney expanse of the Ralph Engelstad Arena, comfortable with the UND team, and was excited to get the conference season going.

After the on-air questions, he was weird enough to field some questions from the Unofficial Assistant coaches at the front table. When Skeeterman reminded him of his outstanding first collegiate game against UND--at North Dakota--Skeets mentioned the 42 saves he had. Faragher was quick to correct Pope Skeeterman, saying it was 44 saves. He didn't have to tell us it was a shutout--a 4-0 win for the Huskies.

When Dan Terhaar mentioned the three Unofficial Assistants during a break, coach Motzko kind of grimaced and strode to our table. "You guys still don't know anything about goaltending," was his opening remark. This might come from year's past when the other two UAC's would badger him about playing Dan Dunn instead of Mike Lee, or Faragher playing instead of Mike Lee.

Aside from that, Motzko was his usual cordial self, and only ignored a few of our questions.

Defenseman Ethan Prow was named NCHC Defensive Player of the Week. Freshman forward Ryan Papa was named NCHC Rookie of the Week. Niklas Nevalainen, freshman defenseman, had a very good weekend at Colgate. Motzko said on Friday Nevalainen was determined to not make any mistakes, and played conservatively. By Saturday, the young man from Finland remembered that offense can be played by defensemen, too, and was a force in the game.
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 30 Oct 2013, 11:57

Thanks Boomer! That was great as usual.
motox
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 30 Oct 2013, 12:31

Great read Boomer! Thank you.
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 05 Nov 2013, 03:20

The Motzko Show Nov. 4, 2013

Coach Bob Motzko got right to the point when asked about the sweep of UND on their ice: The Huskies showed great discipline and poise all weekend. He was impressed with the good and consistent play of his defensemen, and the team received excellent goaltending from Ryan Faragher. Faragher was named NCHC Goaltender of the Week. "Not once all weekend were we back on our heels," he said. He also stated that the leadership on the team has shown itself all season.

So, what's to work on during practice? "Well, for one thing, I will 'blow up' the power play," he stated. We think that means different personnel by the Miami series. And, he noted, the worry before the season was the defensive crew. Motzko is very pleased with the defensive play--including the "odd" combination of pairing two freshmen, Niklas Nevalainen and Ben Storm. During one of the games in North Dakota Motzko said he had to ask assistant coach Mike Gibbons if Nevalainen and Storm were getting regular shifts. They were. Motzko says this is a good thing when you don't really notice your defensemen.

Other tidbits from the coach:
--On the unbelievable play against UND at the Ralph by goalie Ryan Faragher: "Faragher really likes North Dakota."

--"This is one of the deepest teams I have had at St. Cloud."

--On freshman Ryan Papa: "He is a very smart hockey player."

--Regarding this week's opponent, the Miami Redhawks: "They are one of the most powerful programs in the country."

Player Guest Cory Thorson
Senior Cory Thorson is a great representative of the Motzko-era SCSU Husky. Cory played juniors in the NAHA for Owatonna. Some Eastern teams had interest in him, but when he was contacted by SCSU, the decision was an easy one. Thorson has improved every year, and is one of the leaders-by-example for the underclassmen. He also has had four years playing for Motzko, and says he "likes all the mixing of lines. I've played mostly with Bertsch (Brooks) and it's been great. With the changes, you stay fresh and get used to adapting to different lineups."

After the second break, host Dan Terhaar told Motzko that the unofficial assistant coaches at the front table probably had some line combinations they wanted to give him. "Yeah," the coach retorted. "They've been busy writing on napkins again." He, of course, didn't give up too much information--after all, it is only Monday. He did say that Tedesco will again see some ice time this weekend.