Official 2013-2014 Road Trip

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!

Where should the (first) annual scsuhockey.com road trip go?

Duluth
71%
North Dakota
12%
Bemidji
No votes
Alabama
No votes
MN Tournament
18%

Total votes: 17
SCSUEuro
1st Line

Unread post 27 Apr 2013, 14:49

Fellow Husky fans,

Over the last few years I have been fortunate enough to go on a lot of SCSU roadtrips, and I can't say enough about how they've been the best times of my life over the last 3 or 4 years. In all honesty, as much as I love the crowd in St. Cloud, for me, roadtrips beat home games every time. New bars, new places to check out, and there's something fun about when your team scores and thousands of people stand up and cheer; there's something magical when your team scores and dozens of people stand up and cheer and silence the masses.

Two seasons ago I organized a trip to Madison for 11 people. We were right behind UW's goalie Friday night for the 1st and 3rd period and we let Rumpelstiltskin hear about it all damn night. In fact the Big Ten Network found us after the 1st SCSU goal so they kept coming back to us. I was told that other SCSU fans, the players and even Motzko made comments about our specific 11 person group.

This year in Duluth over Thanksgiving weekend I actually only went with a group of 3, but we lucked out and our seats were with a ton of SCSU fans. What separated that from all the other times a ton of road fans were all together in one or two sections is that we were LOUD. For 2 nights straight, everybody heard from us, and often. I thought that weekend in Duluth was really special, so I have an idea to try to replicate it.

I would like us here on this forum to decide to designate ONE weekend series a year as the official roadtrip of SCSU hockey. The fans here should all vote, and based on that decision, I want us to try to pack as many fans into the same section (or 2 or 3 joining sections) and really represent our school well. North Dakota fans travel well. Minnesota fans travel well. I want SCSU to improve our reputation in that department. And my vision is that we pack so many fans into a couple sections that we at times drown out the home team, and make them get their panties in a bunch and have to "outcheer" us. 7 of us in Denver this past year were louder than the rest of their damn building... I'm wondering what we could do with several hundred.

Unfortunately I don't think Denver could be a place to hold our one big roadtrip a year. Too far and too difficult to get that many people there. I'm thinking Duluth, Grand Forks, Minneapolis, Bemidji or Mankato, and rotate it.

Personally, this year I would throw my vote for Grand Forks. We just came off of a MacNaughton. We just got to our first Frozen Four. Drew LeBlanc is the Hobey. Can't think of a place I'd rather flaunt all of that than Grand Forks. And if you haven't seen the schedule yet, we kick off our NCHC action in Grand Forks. And that's a conference we may be the favorites for.

At this point I'm wondering if people would be into this. And don't get me wrong... if you know of fans that just like to go to games, clap when we score, and nothing more, then fine, invite them. The more cardinal and black in the stands the better. But what I am hoping for is the noise-makers, the cheerers, the rowdy (but the clean). After we decide what weekend we decide is our big trip of the year, then we let everybody know every way we can; this site, USCHO, Facebook, Twitter, I'll talk to the Alumni Association, and word of mouth. I'm not saying people shouldn't go to as many games as they can on the road, but lets have one weekend where we make another team just go "Wow... that is one loud, dedicated, annoying fanbase."
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 27 Apr 2013, 17:41

I love this idea.

Just to get it out there. From my experience, UND/MN "travel" so well because most of their alum live all over the Minneapolis/Cloud/Duluth areas. That, and they have longer standing tradition from having varsity hockey programs for an extra 70 years. Combine the two, and you have a strong presence at most away games. A good 75% of Gopher/UND____ fans that I talk to at our games live in the immediate area.

That being said, this is how to build on our existing tradition. I agree, UND would be my first choice to start this annual bit of fun. Although, I don't know if I want to be the 'annoying' fanbase ;). Shall we add a poll for the road trip destination?
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 27 Apr 2013, 23:40

It would be hard to beat the Duluth experience of last year! Except that I got in a little trouble with Daugher and son-in-law. We took 10 y.r. old grandson with us. He gets back to Prior Lake and the first HS game he sees, he is yelling "Cheater" to everyone that took a penalty! Then somebody takes a shot that is wide, and he is yelling "He shoots--he sucks!!"

After some counseling and a firm talking-to about "appropriate" cheering at youth games, he is all set for the next road trip next year. I vote Duluth.
ts8801
3rd Line

Unread post 28 Apr 2013, 00:50

I'd love to road trip somewhere this up coming season. My friends are generally unable to attend, so i end up watching a my computer/house.
SCSUEuro
1st Line

Unread post 28 Apr 2013, 12:41

mdneilson wrote:I love this idea.

Just to get it out there. From my experience, UND/MN "travel" so well because most of their alum live all over the Minneapolis/Cloud/Duluth areas. That, and they have longer standing tradition from having varsity hockey programs for an extra 70 years. Combine the two, and you have a strong presence at most away games. A good 75% of Gopher/UND____ fans that I talk to at our games live in the immediate area.

That being said, this is how to build on our existing tradition. I agree, UND would be my first choice to start this annual bit of fun. Although, I don't know if I want to be the 'annoying' fanbase ;). Shall we add a poll for the road trip destination?
I guess annoying wasn't a good word... you know how when we host UND there is just a sea of green and black EVERYWHERE? Its the same at Final Fives (even more so when the Gophers didn't make it) and I went to Omaha this year for the outdoor game and that was the same... they're just everywhere. They're an INFESTATION. That's what I want. I want some poor home team fans stuck in our section or the section next to us going "Oh my God... where did all of these people come from and why won't they shut up?"

If you wanna add a poll, I'd be all for that.
SCSUEuro
1st Line

Unread post 28 Apr 2013, 12:45

Boomer wrote:It would be hard to beat the Duluth experience of last year! Except that I got in a little trouble with Daugher and son-in-law. We took 10 y.r. old grandson with us. He gets back to Prior Lake and the first HS game he sees, he is yelling "Cheater" to everyone that took a penalty! Then somebody takes a shot that is wide, and he is yelling "He shoots--he sucks!!"

After some counseling and a firm talking-to about "appropriate" cheering at youth games, he is all set for the next road trip next year. I vote Duluth.
I agree... Duluth was magical. But I think it very easily CAN be topped. Like I said... we rolled in with a small group and just lucked out. If I brought a dozen like in Madison, and we could group up with some of the old Dog Pounders and some of the older alum who are at least willing to clap and cheer along with the chants they know... we could have an epic cheering section.

That's funny that your grandson picked up some things that he shouldn't have... but obviously our language and chants and cheers are a lot different on the road so "sucks" is as bad as it gets when we're in someone else's barn. Still a good idea to teach the Husky pups what's kosher. :D
ThomaSCSU
3rd Line

Unread post 28 Apr 2013, 23:27

I like this idea. A friend of mine from work would probably attend a game if we can both afford it. I'll let all of the rest of you do the deciding on which series we are doing this on and try my hardest to take off work for it. It'd be easier for me that way.
USCHO username: Husky13
PokeCheck
2nd Line

Unread post 29 Apr 2013, 21:00

I like this idea a lot. I vote for Grand Forks to be the official recipient of the first ever Husky Hockey Official Road Trip!
Husky1
1st Line

Unread post 30 Apr 2013, 14:21

I'll be in Duluth regardless but would be up for GF or any other location for that matter. Perhaps we can coordinate via the CIC travel packages.

Speaking of the CIC, I got rejected by them when I attempted to join. Apparently they are reconfiguring their membership structure and thus didnt want my money (until the end of June, anyway). Interesting timing on denying memberships given this would seem the time when they would have the most momentum for gaining new members. Hopefully the new structure leads to good things.
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 30 Apr 2013, 16:05

Husky1 wrote:I'll be in Duluth regardless but would be up for GF or any other location for that matter. Perhaps we can coordinate via the CIC travel packages.

Speaking of the CIC, I got rejected by them when I attempted to join. Apparently they are reconfiguring their membership structure and thus didnt want my money (until the end of June, anyway). Interesting timing on denying memberships given this would seem the time when they would have the most momentum for gaining new members. Hopefully the new structure leads to good things.
What is the new structure? Is there going to be new leadership?
Husky1
1st Line

Unread post 30 Apr 2013, 16:07

scsutommyboy wrote:
Husky1 wrote:I'll be in Duluth regardless but would be up for GF or any other location for that matter. Perhaps we can coordinate via the CIC travel packages.

What is the new structure? Is there going to be new leadership?
No idea; I was referring specifically to the membership structure (presumably meaning the levels you can sign up for). As far as I know no leadership changes.
southernhusky
3rd Line

Unread post 30 Apr 2013, 19:37

Huntsville is a nice place
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 30 Apr 2013, 20:39

There is some talk of merging all the booster clubs into one deal. I don't know if that's what's happening or not. Email them and ask what the deal is.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 May 2013, 00:47

There are A LOT of changes being made in the CIC. I don't know all of them, but I've heard rumblings. I do know that they're switching retail partners for sure, so no more Scheels discounts.

Southern, I'd love to visit UNH, but it is a longer haul than DU, so a group trip is not likely. I'm tempted to make it a family trip.
Husky1
1st Line

Unread post 01 May 2013, 08:56

mdneilson wrote:There are A LOT of changes being made in the CIC. I don't know all of them, but I've heard rumblings. I do know that they're switching retail partners for sure, so no more Scheels discounts.

Southern, I'd love to visit UNH, but it is a longer haul than DU, so a group trip is not likely. I'm tempted to make it a family trip.
Well I certainly hope they don't merge the CIC into some sort of uber-booster club; I'd really rather direct my funds specifically towards the hockey program.

Anyway, I'm assuming mdneilson meant UAH and not UNH; I wouldn't mind giving huntsville a try. Perhaps you could host a get together for the fans as well. :)