Goofers and Huskies round 1

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Oct 2008, 11:13

Well I think we will have a better idea where this team is after this weekend. I don't think the gophers are anything special, but I am pretty sure they are a lot better than Mercyhurst.
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Oct 2008, 14:30

I think it's good we're getting them early, but I would rate them equal to Mercyhurst.
izzi
1st Line

Unread post 12 Oct 2008, 15:11

What Skeeterman said.
Huskie
1st Line

Unread post 12 Oct 2008, 15:53

izzi6 wrote: What Skeeterman said.
What Izzy said.
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Oct 2008, 16:28

These games should be a good test for us, but I still have to wonder where MN is going to get consistent scoring from with all those freshman.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Oct 2008, 18:51

Wish I was going to be there myself. First game VS the roadkill in about six or seven years that I'll miss the home game.

But on the other point, wear red to the game. My arms hurt from holding up that sign along with flag duties yesterday so WEAR RED TO THE OCTOBER 17 AND JANUARY 17 GAMES DAMN IT! ;)  :P If you don't have red SCSU stuff then take the time to go out and buy some.

I'm done advertising on that until January.  But on a slightly related note there will be a new version of the F#©K the GOPHERS T-shirts. I think the guy with them said there a few left, all sizes left are S-L. I think he made them red because of the Red Out Night that they're trying to make happen at both home games verses the roadkill.

Well with any luck I'll be able to listen to the game as long as the rehearsal dinner doesn't go to long... and maybe if I luck out FSN in Wisconsin will show the game, though I'd mute the commentary I think... might leave it on just to see who's name the mangle this year since they can't speak of horses ;)

Do me a favor and cheer even harder since there will be one less voice. In other words, lose your voice at the game.  ;D :D ;) :P What I wanted to do many smilies ::)
Come to SCSU! Get whip-Lasch! -LadyHusky17

Did I mention I'm a bad speller? -LadyHusky17
Deejer
Redshirt

Unread post 12 Oct 2008, 22:29

scsutommyboy wrote: Well I think we will have a better idea where this team is after this weekend.  I don't think the gophers are anything special, but I am pretty sure they are a lot better than Mercyhurst.  

They definitely will be better...I'm a little worried that 2 or 3 of those defensive lapses this past weekend may turn into goals this coming weekend. Don will have his club ready, even though they haven't played a game that counts yet.

On the other hand, I'm excited to see how this team does offensively against WCHA competition. I think the PP could be just as lethal as it was against Mercyhurst..it looked really good even though Mercyhurst wasn't playing real well. Loved the puck movement...the Goofs will probably be a little more aggressive playing the man with the puck on the SCSU PP. Like to see how they do in more of an aggressive defensive situation.

All in all, what I saw this last weekend made me feel very confident that we can start the WCHA schedule out with a bang.

I predict if Weslosky plays well Friday (win or lose...or tie) that he gets the net at the Mooch on Saturday...he stoned them there lasst year.
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Oct 2008, 22:50

Deejer wrote: [quote author=scsutommyboy link=1223828029/0#0 date=1223828029]Well I think we will have a better idea where this team is after this weekend.  I don't think the gophers are anything special, but I am pretty sure they are a lot better than Mercyhurst.  

They definitely will be better...I'm a little worried that 2 or 3 of those defensive lapses this past weekend may turn into goals this coming weekend.  Don will have his club ready, even though they haven't played a game that counts yet.

On the other hand, I'm excited to see how this team does offensively against WCHA competition.  I think the PP could be just as lethal as it was against Mercyhurst..it looked really good even though Mercyhurst wasn't playing real well.  Loved the puck movement...the Goofs will probably be a little more aggressive playing the man with the puck on the SCSU PP.  Like to see how they do in more of an aggressive defensive situation.

All in all, what I saw this last weekend made me feel very confident that we can start the WCHA schedule out with a bang.

I predict if Weslosky plays well Friday (win or lose...or tie) that he gets the net at the Mooch on Saturday...he stoned them there lasst year.

[/quote]

Ammerman is a weak point on defense.  Carisle has been off and on with his play over the last three years. I think Rioux is going to be a solid defensive defenseman for us when he comes back in eight games.  It would be a really big help if the great dane could play.  he can't be worse than Ammerman.
scsuhuskyfan
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 12 Oct 2008, 22:59

Kangas is a great big sieve doo daa doo daa..... :D C'mon boys keep the wheels spinnin' this weekend!
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 13 Oct 2008, 03:00

scsutommyboy wrote: [quote author=Deejer link=1223828029/0#6 date=1223868584][quote author=scsutommyboy link=1223828029/0#0 date=1223828029]Well I think we will have a better idea where this team is after this weekend.  I don't think the gophers are anything special, but I am pretty sure they are a lot better than Mercyhurst.  

They definitely will be better...I'm a little worried that 2 or 3 of those defensive lapses this past weekend may turn into goals this coming weekend.  Don will have his club ready, even though they haven't played a game that counts yet.

On the other hand, I'm excited to see how this team does offensively against WCHA competition.  I think the PP could be just as lethal as it was against Mercyhurst..it looked really good even though Mercyhurst wasn't playing real well.  Loved the puck movement...the Goofs will probably be a little more aggressive playing the man with the puck on the SCSU PP.  Like to see how they do in more of an aggressive defensive situation.

[/quote]

Ammerman is a weak point on defense.  Carisle has been off and on with his play over the last three years. I think Rioux is going to be a solid defensive defenseman for us when he comes back in eight games.  It would be a really big help if the great dane could play.  he can be worse than Ammerman.

[/quote]

Ammerman is a bottom pairing defenseman but I've definitely seen worse bottom pairing guys on this team.

I think we'll be ok defensively as this whole unit continues to gel, and I really like the fact that all of them can skate.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 13 Oct 2008, 09:05

What Izzi said I said.
scsuhuskyfan
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 13 Oct 2008, 10:31

I'll tell you what, from what I've seen so far from Raboin, Hepp, Rioux (in the exhibition game), Barta, Zabkowicz, and Ammerman and I'm sure Ollie when the friggen clearinghouse gets their thumbs out of their azzes again...I like our defense already better than last year.

Chris Anderson did not belong in the everyday lineup last season.
Junk
Redshirt

Unread post 14 Oct 2008, 01:06

Ugh, why did tickets have to sell out so fast!

I'll be out of town in January. A year without seeing the Gophers at the NHC. Bah!

I'm expecting a sweep, honestly. Yeah, last weekend was a cupcake, but I saw a lot of positives that I would expect to see against a competitive opponent as well.

Friday: Huskies 5-2.

Saturday: Huskies 3-1.

At least three PP goals on the weekend.
Dude_Love
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 14 Oct 2008, 02:19

I **** hate those guys. I'd rather have cancer and AIDS at the same time than ever cheer for Minnesota.
jazzam
Redshirt

Unread post 14 Oct 2008, 06:54

Did anyone listen to the Coach's show? Anything worth mentioning? I wish they still had them available on line. :-(