Looking forward to next year 2008-09

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Oct 2008, 04:07

Allenspach picks us 3rd

Final standings

1. North Dakota

2. Colorado College

3. St. Cloud State

4. Wisconsin

5. Minnesota

6. Denver

7. Minnesota State-Mankato

8. Minnesota-Duluth

9. Michigan Tech

10. Alaska Anchorage

Player of the year: Ryan Lasch, F, St. Cloud State

Rookie of the year: Jordan Schroeder, F, Minnesota

All-WCHA first team:

F: Lasch

F: Chad Rau, Colorado College

F: Ryan Duncan, North Dakota

D: Joe Finley, North Dakota

D: Jamie McBain, Wisconsin

G: Richard Bachman, Colorado College

Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Oct 2008, 07:12

Relax the coaches always pick those 5 teams to be in the top 5. The Huskies will be just fine.
Rookie
2nd Line

Unread post 01 Oct 2008, 08:15

Since Kevin's predictions are never right can we assume UND will not will win the WCHA regular season title this year? ;)
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Oct 2008, 09:03

Rookie wrote: Since Kevin's predictions are never right can we assume UND will not will win the WCHA regular season title this year?  ;)

Nice Burn! ;D
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Oct 2008, 11:20

scsutommyboy wrote: Relax the coaches always pick those 5 teams to be in the top 5.  The Huskies will be just fine.

Exactly, you'd think the coaches would actually look at what teams have coming back.

What I can't wrap my head around is the UND #2 and DU #3 slots, both teams have huge questions in goal yet the coaches seem to think that won't matter. Since when did it become customary to ignore the most important position in the game?

And I also want to know where the coaches think the Gophers and Badgers are going to get consistent scoring from.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Oct 2008, 11:42

Interestingly enough, the media poll is exactly the same, right down to the tie for 4th between MN and UW

http://www.badgerbeat.com/news/article/id/307187?page=2
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Oct 2008, 11:45

My thoughts on the coaches poll...

Neither Ness nor Gardiner has a shot at ROTY. Coming straight from high school, they usually struggle their first years. The most likely ROTY is the kid who gets inserted onto the #1 PP unit... like potentially Schroeder, LeBlanc, Tyler Thompson, Gregoire, or either Connolly. Soley may get consideration if he's Tech's best player, even though his point totals won't be better than all other freshman. And of course, as we learned from last season, you can't count out Eidsness in net.

The POTY predictions are pretty accurate, though I think Hoeffel could have a breakout season for the goofs. Mitch Berge could surprise for Mankato, and they totally dissed former HB winner Duncan by not tossing him one single vote!

As far as the poll is concerned, I think I had SCSU fifth, so that isn't too far from mine. I stubbornly maintain that Mankato will see home ice. North Dakota is slightly overrated, while Denver is overrated because of the question mark in goal.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Oct 2008, 12:28

Can the season just start please!!! ;D
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Oct 2008, 15:53

hard scsutommyboy wrote: Can the season just start please!!! ;D

It's only a week away, hold your bladder old man. ;)
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Oct 2008, 16:47

Funny reading the comments on Maize's blog, it doesn't seem people think Roe or Lasch can match their production from last year much less exceed it, and the main reason is because Oshie and Duncan couldn't do it last year without Toews.

I love ignorance. ;D

Watching this team prove people wrong should be so much fun.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 02 Oct 2008, 08:30

My thoughts on the media poll...

Well, the predictions for standings are the same, so let's skip to ROTY:  Colborne won't be on the first PP unit.  Ness will struggle as he adapts.  Schroeder is legitimate.  Gardiner will struggle as he adapts.  Gregoire is legitimate.  Stepan plays for Wisconsin, and even Kyle Turris couldn't win ROTY.  Toews will not be on the first PP unit.  Well, with so many freshman coming in and, IMHO, only two legitimate candidates on this list... I'm going to boldly predict that the ROTY will NOT come from this list!!

POTY: Rau is legitimate, but 14 of 24 votes?!  I noticed the media, unlike the coaches, didn't diss the HB winner.  I mentioned my darkhorse candidates before.

WCHA First Team: No arguments there... I couldn't bet against that lineup.  I could bet, however, that a MSUM player makes All-WCHA... maybe even first line, but I'd need to take odds for that wager.

~ Nic Dowd
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 02 Oct 2008, 12:54

Rabid_Husky wrote: Funny reading the comments on Maize's  blog, it doesn't seem people think Roe or Lasch can match their production from last year much less exceed it, and the main reason is because Oshie and Duncan couldn't do it last year without Toews.

I love ignorance.  ;D

I don't know about you but I love the fact that almost everybody hates the Huskies. What part of Lasch has never played on a regular line with Nodl or Roe do they not understand? :) Even his freshman year Nodl played with Gordon, not Lasch.

Maybe I am stetting my self up for a big dissapointment, but I really think this is going to be a special year at the NHC.
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 02 Oct 2008, 13:45

scsutommyboy wrote: [quote author=Rabid_Husky link=1206908057/200#204 date=1222897621]Funny reading the comments on Maize's  blog, it doesn't seem people think Roe or Lasch can match their production from last year much less exceed it, and the main reason is because Oshie and Duncan couldn't do it last year without Toews.

I love ignorance.  ;D

I don't know about you but I love the fact that almost everybody hates the Huskies.  What part of Lasch has never played on a regular line with Nodl or Roe do they not understand? :)  Even his freshman year Nodl played with Gordon, not Lasch.

Maybe I am stetting my self up for a big dissapointment, but I really think this is going to be a special year at the NHC.

[/quote]

I agree with you and if our fans are the only ones that believe then so be it.

And I think POTY is either Lasch or Rau and I think SCSU will have a contender for ROTY again in LeBlanc if he gets PP time.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
scsuhuskyfan
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 02 Oct 2008, 15:51

Sounds like everyone is highest on LeBlanc, but I really think a guy like Mosey can step up to be a 25-30 point guy this season.
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 02 Oct 2008, 16:11

roblaplante wrote: Sounds like everyone is highest on LeBlanc, but I really think a guy like Mosey can step up to be a 25-30 point guy this season.
He's a puck mover, great hands, and very defensively responsible. He showed a lot of poise playing with the elites at the WJC tryout camp. Mosey may be as offensively gifted at even strength, but he's not as well rounded as LeBlanc. If going off of points, however, whichever makes the number one PP unit would obviously score more.

~ Nic Dowd