Looking forward to next year 2008-09

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
Husky4Life
1st Line

Unread post 30 Mar 2008, 15:14

Alright, I know this might be to soon for some, but I am an eternal optimist, and I am ready to start talking about next season.  By the way this does not have to be the "official offseason thread."  

Ok so what are our strengths and weaknesses going to be heading into next year? Is Nodl staying or going?

Here are some of my early thoughts, I feel like we should finish the year in the top 4 of the WCHA, and as we all know any wins after that is just a bonus for this program. I feel that we are going to be very solid in the nets with Jase really establishing himself this year, and a quality backup in Dunn. I love the depth of our forwards next season to go along with the high end talent, especially if Nodl stays. The big question mark in my head for next season will be our defensive corps once again.  I was really impressed with the way Raboin stepped up his game at the end of the year. I look for him to be our best defender next season, and what he lacks in size makes up for in grit and leadership ability. Is he a two year captain? We have some very nice talent coming in next year,but so does every other top program so as excited as  I am to see who is going to be the next Nodl, Roe, or Lasch is going to be I consider this a wash.

Here are my player rankings for next year:

Forwords

Nodl

Roe

Lasch

Swanson

Marvin

Mosey

Christian

Oslund

Lablanc

Novak

Festler

Volpie

Borgen

Ryan

Olsen

Peckscamp

Defensman:

Raboin

Barta

Carlisle

Ammerman

Hepp

Rioux

Louridson

Zibakowitz

Gaudet

Goalies:

Jase

Dunn

Obrien

Am I nuts or what?

"SCSU Hockey-Future Multiple National Championship Winners!"
LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 30 Mar 2008, 18:07

First, this is where I wish I could edit other people's posts. There is no E in Nodl.

On other things, what I'm curious about is if we'll know who our captains are before the next season or if they'll wait it out till later, the summer maybe. Though I think the only reason they'd do that now would be if Nodl was under consideration of being a captain (wearing an A if that were to happen).

I have to say in a way I might be worried about Lasch leaving early with his point streak. Of course that would mean that he would be getting pestered by pro teams despite his size. He has said verbally, last year I think it was, that he is itching to get into the NHL and seemed a little irked in the artical when he (or maybe it was one of his parents mentioning what he'd said that was printed) mentioned somebody who had just recently gone pro that he'd schooled in juniors.

The end of season results didn't help him much but I could still see him getting a good enough offer and he'd be gone.

Rioux's going to be interesting to watch next year; more so because all he's been doing this season has been practicing but then we know he's been told to sit out the season by the NCAA. From practices he looks like he should be decent on defense, but then again I admit I'm not always the best judge on players. As well many remind me just because they're good in practice doesn't mean they'll be good in a game situation.

I am looking forward to seeing how the new freshmen will move the puck and if we may have a more aggressive defense this coming season. I really miss the hits Finger would put on people, I want some defensemen like him again.
Come to SCSU! Get whip-Lasch! -LadyHusky17

Did I mention I'm a bad speller? -LadyHusky17
Husky4Life
1st Line

Unread post 30 Mar 2008, 18:30

I edited it for you, but you shouldn't get so bent out of shape about a misplaced e. ;D Lasch is not going anywhere, thank goodness.
"SCSU Hockey-Future Multiple National Championship Winners!"
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 30 Mar 2008, 18:46

Don't worry about Lasch leaving.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
huskyhockey
Redshirt

Unread post 30 Mar 2008, 20:36

Rabid_Husky wrote: Don't worry about Lasch leaving.

Ladyhusky17 you are correct about lasch. so it would not surprise me if Lasch looked at a option to leave.

Rumor has it if Nodl signs that Lasch might as well. so i would not be to sure of your self Rabid_husky.  The best scenario is they both stay.  Only time will tell.
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 30 Mar 2008, 21:24

Why would Lasch go anywhere? He's nowhere near ready and neither is Nodl.

And I'd love to know where these "rumors" are coming from.

He sure doesn't talk like someone who's thinking of leaving.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Huskie
1st Line

Unread post 30 Mar 2008, 21:28

huskyhockey wrote: [quote author=Rabid_Husky link=1206908057/0#3 date=1206920781]Don't worry about Lasch leaving.

Ladyhusky17 you are correct about lasch. so it would not surprise me if Lasch looked at a option to leave.

Rumor has it if Nodl signs that Lasch might as well. so i would not be to sure of your self Rabid_husky.  The best scenario is they both stay.  Only time will tell.[/quote]
So for your first post you post this gibberish. LH17 is known for this kind of stupid talk, now we have two.
huskyhockey
Redshirt

Unread post 30 Mar 2008, 22:14

Huskie, Im simply stating a rumor that a couple of people have said to me. They may not be ready, but they can make a good salary in the AHL and develop for 2 years and get their contract started sooner.
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 30 Mar 2008, 22:23

huskyhockey wrote: Huskie, Im simply stating a rumor that a couple of people have said to me. They may not be ready, but they can make a good salary in the AHL and develop for 2 years and get their contract started sooner.

As much as I like Lasch as a player, he won't be in the AHL, not yet. He's not good enough at both ends to play there and doesn't score enough 5 x 5 to do well there. If he leaves, he's going to the ECHL. And again, unless these "rumors" are from credible people who either know Lasch or his family or are in some way connected to it, it's probably BS.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 30 Mar 2008, 22:23

Husky4Life wrote: I edited it for you, but you shouldn't get so bent out of shape about a misplaced e.  ;D  Lasch is not going anywhere, thank goodness.

I was just ribbing you for the error, somebody would have pointed it out to you if it wasn't me anyway ;)

Huskie wrote:

So for your first post you post this gibberish. LH17 is known for this kind of stupid talk, now we have two.

I prefer to think of my posts as informed but not always fully informed, thank you ;) :P Then again that's why I ask questions. And until you, I haven't heard any complaints about my posts... unless you were joking without smileys

As for people saying that Lasch isn't ready, there have been plenty who have not been ready and still left to go pro.

With the artical about him trying to appreciate being one of the top ten Hobey candidates it sort of read like he could be thinking about it.

If you really think about it, Lasch had a better year than Nodl. By logic if Nodl left Lasch would have more reason to believe he's ready to leave as well if only for the fact that he had more ponits this year than Nodl.

Either way I don't think either are ready but that says nothing about them not thinking hard on leaving. And that deffinatly doesn't mean they'll be going to the NHL or even make it there. Like others have said they leave they might be in the AHL but I'd think they might actually be in the ECHL instead. Of course that would also depend on who signed them (we know where Nodl would go but Lasch would be a different story)
Come to SCSU! Get whip-Lasch! -LadyHusky17

Did I mention I'm a bad speller? -LadyHusky17
scsuhuskyfan
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 31 Mar 2008, 00:56

Lasch doesn't have the same options as Nodl, therefore, Lasch is going nowhere. As for Nodl, the decision really is up to him. I think he wants to come back, and loves playing with Roe and Lasch, but money is always a deciding factor.

What disturbes me is MSU's Jon Kalinski (6th round draft pick) just recently left the Mav's early to sign with...who else, the Flyers.

I also saw Michael-Lee Teslak passed on his senior year and signed with who else, the Flyers.
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 31 Mar 2008, 01:50

Goaltending: Excellent. Weslosky will be one of the best. Dunn is a very good #2.

Defense: Rioux and Hepp need to step right in. Ollie the Dane would be an excellent find if he can skate. Raboin, Carlisle, Barta are all solid. Ammerman is due to step it up. Very Good.

Forwards: If Kalinski already signed with Phillie, that is good. Nodl, I hope, sticks around. Huskies need more than two lines. Mosey, Volpei showed little this season. Marvin showed potential and should improve a lot. Oslund is a project, but most are happy with his play. Huskies will never win anything of importance relying on 3 guys. [see Clarkson game] New guys--at least two of them--need to produce immediately. ALL forwards need to become more aggressive. Overall: Good.

Attitude: Needs vast improvement. Team won "Ms. Congeniality" this year! :o

Physical play: ALL the good teams this year--Michigan, Sioux, BC, and Notre Dame--play physical. Coincidence? No. SCSU needs vast improvement here, too.

Captains? Give it to Raboin. Let the rest of the team take leadership roles as they find them. This year's team did not have natural leaders.
Dude_Love
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 31 Mar 2008, 02:19

My cousin's room mate's uncle's doctor says that Kyle Turris is transferring to SCSU. Take that for what it's worth.
Rookie
2nd Line

Unread post 31 Mar 2008, 13:06

Dude_Love wrote: My cousin's room mate's uncle's doctor...

"You know Sergio?"
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 31 Mar 2008, 15:24

I'll miss Dey's Penalty killing. Stepho wasn't bad defensively but he's not going to be that hard to replace. Everyone else, you may be good guys but you weren't much for college hockey players.

This team need to find some leaders and we should with all the guys on this team who have been captains as lower levels (Raboin, Festler, Hepp, Lasch, Christian, Roe)

Raboin should get the C and I think Swanny and Lasch for the A's.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003