NHC new look

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Aug 2008, 07:59

Anybody catch today's St. Cloud times?

http://www.sctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... ckcomments

St. Cloud State then revised its plans for the hockey center, increasing the cost from $14 million to $28.7 million. The revised plans would enable the facility to seat about 7,000 for concerts while keeping hockey seating at the current level of about 6,300, Potter said.

Among other renovations are increased concession space, a team store, better accommodations for student-athletes and about 500 seats added to the center’s second sheet of ice, Potter said. The building’s acoustics are being redone to attract concert acts that previously wouldn’t come to St. Cloud because there wasn’t a big enough venue, he said.

Weren't we supposed to be expanding to get a 10,000 seat arena so we could possably put in a bid for a regional? And what's with the adding of 500 seats to the second sheet of ice, which I'm guessing they mean the practice rink?

The artical makes the renivations sound screwy compaired to what I remember beign talked about.
Come to SCSU! Get whip-Lasch! -LadyHusky17

Did I mention I'm a bad speller? -LadyHusky17
Rookie
2nd Line

Unread post 07 Aug 2008, 11:02

We can't fill a 10,000 seat arena every weekend. The current capacity is fine. I can understand adding seats to the practice rink. They host youth tournaments as well and there is nowhere for spectators to sit to watch games.
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Aug 2008, 11:22

Rookie wrote: We can't fill a 10,000 seat arena every weekend.  The current capacity is fine.  I can understand adding seats to the practice rink.  They host youth tournaments as well and there is nowhere for spectators to sit to watch games.

I thought they said the NHC will be a little bigger with the renovations, but not 10,000 seats.
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Aug 2008, 02:01

I don't remember hearing 10 thou either and I personally don't think we need 10 thou to get a regional.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Aug 2008, 17:57

I guess what I thought was that they said now we might be able to compeat for a regional but I could have sworn you need 10000 seat to do so.

Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Aug 2008, 23:49

LadyHusky17 wrote: I guess what I thought was that they said now we might be able to compeat for a regional but I could have sworn you need 10000 seat to do so.

If that were true, CC and Michigan couldn't get one and neither could most arenas out east.

The regionals almost never sell out either so a larger arena wouldn't make sense.

The issue for SCSU is Mariucci and the Ralph and the Kohl Center do seat over 10K and they are in our region.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Rookie
2nd Line

Unread post 09 Aug 2008, 15:22

When you bid for a regional you include a guaranteed dollar figure that you can deliver to the NCAAs. All the arenas you just mentioned, because they're larger, can guarantee a better gate than we can.

Omaha has a rink that's more than big enough for a regional, but they know they won't draw a crowd unless UNO is in it. With that in mind they hedge on what they can guarantee to the NCAA. There aren't enough programs nearby that can help them out so they have yet to be awarded a regional. They won't be awarded one until UNO becomes a yearly (or close) NCAA participant.
scsuhuskyfan
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 18 Sep 2008, 16:03

Anyone check out the Husky website with the proposed new look NHC? Looks awesome!

The Outside:

Main lobby:

Rink with new seating and suites:

Suite:

LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 18 Sep 2008, 22:34

roblaplante wrote: Anyone check out the Husky website with the proposed new look NHC? Looks awesome!

The Outside:

Main lobby:

Rink with new seating and suites:

Suite:

They look pretty good love the interior that seems to be the new ticket office... though I have to laugh at the shot of the rink, namely a few of the people who's backs are to the "camera." the designer didn't seem to be thinking too well on things as they put a jersey on one person backwards and by the way it was edited makes you realize the jersey was a single hanging jersey stuck on the back of a guy with a red shirt. The flags scattered around the arena make me laugh too just because I know the flag that is waved at the game is only tolerated by some of the season ticket holders in 107 not to mention that five flags just makes me laugh considering how hard it is to find a person willing to wave that flag at every game after they find out the weight of the flag pole that was made for it.

Love the banners too, wonder what they're for? ;P

Is that a third tier for seating they have all the way around? Now how does that work if they said they're not going to be adding more seats to the main rink? or are they changing plans again?

pjoyn
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 19 Sep 2008, 12:15

Is that a third tier for seating they have all the way around? Now how does that work if they said they're not going to be adding more seats to the main rink? or are they changing plans again?

I would assume that is the press box.
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 19 Sep 2008, 12:38

pjoyn wrote: Is that a third tier for seating they have all the way around? Now how does that work if they said they're not going to be adding more seats to the main rink? or are they changing plans again?

I would assume that is the press box.

The whole arena has seat backs so they need the extra seating so they don't lose seats by renovating. I think the three decks on the one side are seats and the boxes are going to be on the south side(lobby side) that has the parking lot.
motox
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Mar 2009, 20:28

Just rec'd this e-mail.  Looks like it should seat approx 8,000.

Below, please find a news release which announces the naming of the architect for the National Hockey & Event Center (NHEC) project at St. Cloud State University. News organizations and those interested may access high resolution NHEC drawings by JLG Architects via the St. Cloud State Image Gallery via the links below.  When you get to the link, click on the "high resolution" button on the right.  For news organizations, these images can be copied and used for your publication purposes:

Exterior view of the south facade – http://www.stcloudstate.edu/imagegaller ... ageID=7072

Interior view of the atrium – http://www.stcloudstate.edu/imagegaller ... ageID=6999

St. Cloud State University

Office of University Communications

720 4th Ave. S.

St. Cloud, MN 56301

News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 8, 2009

Media Relations Director

320-308-2104

JLG Architects selected for St. Cloud State

Hockey, Event Center project

ST. CLOUD, Minn.—JLG Architects of Alexandria and Minneapolis, Minn., and Grand Forks and Fargo, N.D., has been selected as the architect for St. Cloud State University 's planned National Hockey and Event Center addition and renovation project slated to start in 2010.

JLG will work with Hagemeister Mack Architects of St. Cloud in providing the architectural services for the project estimated to cost $29.3 million. The renovation plan will convert the facility from primarily a hockey arena into a regional multi-purpose event center, add 20-30 luxury suites and additional seats and upgrade the entrance, ticketing, administration, university store, concourses, restrooms and concessions areas.  When completed, the facility will be able to seat about 8,000 for concerts.    

When renovated, in addition to hockey, the regional multi-purpose event center will be capable of hosting concerts, major speakers, theatre productions, trade shows in cooperation with the St. Cloud Civic Center, ice shows, family shows and other athletic competitions like arena football, youth wrestling, basketball and volleyball.

JLG was selected in a competitive process and has worked on a number of large athletic facilities including the $100 million Ralph Engelstad Arena and the Corporate Center in Grand Forks, civic centers in Bismarck and Fargo, N.D., the North Dakota Museum of Art, The Mississippi Master Plan for Elk River, Minn., and numerous other projects in the Upper Midwest.  The firm is currently working on new arena projects in Wausau, Wis., Indianapolis, Ind., Dayton, Ohio and Seattle, Wash.

St. Cloud State President Earl H. Potter III said, "We are pleased to have an architect with the background and experience of JLG. This is an important project for Central Minnesota and having the best architect for the job on board is an essential element in creating this regional hockey and event center. "

Potter added, "We plan to build a complex that puts fans first, emphasizes the history and tradition of our university and teems with the spirit of Husky hockey.  It will bring to Central Minnesota entertainment and events unlike ever before. "

Bill Breyfogle, director of design and construction for Minnesota State Colleges and Universities, said, "JLG Architects was selected based upon their technical competence, cohesiveness and compatibility, ability to deal with aesthetic factors, unique qualifications and geographic relationship to the project site. "

The project is being funded by a $6.5 million investment from the state of Minnesota and private fund raising, sponsorships and naming rights income projected at nearly $23 million.

The National Hockey and Event Center project along with an addition to the St. Cloud Civic Center, both in the planning stages, are referred to as "anchors " of extensive re-development of Fifth Avenue which will include the addition of housing, commercial and retail facilities connecting the cityÕs downtown and the St. Cloud State University campus.

The schematic design phase contract is for $351,000.  Additional architectural fees for the design and construction services will amount to $1.4 million.

St. Cloud State, located 70 miles northwest of the Twin Cities along the banks of the Mississippi River, offers its 17,000 students more than 200 undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees and certificates in business, education, fine arts and humanities, science and engineering and social sciences
Husky4Life
1st Line

Unread post 26 Mar 2009, 14:16

When are they going start this remodel again? They should be doing it now. This project is about 5 years late as it is. A good Athletic Director would not have waited this long to get something done. Our crap hole arena is part of the reason we have not been brining in top notch talent the last few years.
"SCSU Hockey-Future Multiple National Championship Winners!"
motox
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 25 Apr 2009, 21:03

Looks like they're not starting until Spring 2011....... >:(

We’re pleased to report that a recently completed feasibility study on expanding and renovating St. Cloud State’s National Hockey Center to create a National Hockey and Event Center (NHEC) has been returned with excellent marks. The favorable feasibility study, completed by Grenzebach Glier and Associates, makes it clear the project is an excellent way to give Central Minnesota an enhanced events venue, transform the fan experience and give St. Cloud one of the top college hockey facilities in the country.

The feasibility study further notes that the hockey and event center project will complement the city of St. Cloud’s plans for redeveloping the Fifth Avenue corridor from East St. Germain Street at the expanded Civic Center south alongside campus, bringing together and enhancing such community assets as a revitalized downtown, the campus and the historic Southside Neighborhood. The study also noted that St. Cloud State has a positive reputation and the level of respect for the institution is “on the rise.” The study also reports that the vision that the NHEC become a multi-purpose event facility is key to its successful completion and that the project will fulfill a “genuine need in the community.”

In addition to Husky hockey, the NHEC will be a showcase for St. Cloud State and community events ranging from concerts, major speakers, theater productions and art shows to tennis, Arena League Football, volleyball and other athletic events.

We are also pleased to announce that we have further developed a timeline for completion of the hockey and events center. Plans now are to break ground in spring 2011, with the work to be done in two phases. Bids will be awarded for the first phase in January 2011 so that work can begin after the close of the hockey season that spring and conclude before the fall season. The second phase will begin after the hockey season ends for anticipated completion and a grand opening in October 2012. It is hoped that by 2011 the economy will have rebounded somewhat and our fundraising and sale of naming rights will be further developed.

The $29.3 million renovation of the 20-year-old National Hockey Center will be funded with $6.5 million from the Minnesota Legislature, private donations and the sale of naming rights.

We look forward to completion of the project, which will enhance the campus and the city while providing another way to connect St. Cloud State with the community of St. Cloud and Central Minnesota.

You can take virtual tour of the proposed National Hockey and Event Center in an architectural “fly-through” video at http://www.stcloudstate.edu/news/videoplayer.asp , and we’ll continue to provide updates on the project as we move forward.

Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 25 Apr 2009, 21:42

Oh well, it's going to happen, if it's a little late, so be it. Sounds like it's late because of the economy due to fundraising so that's understandable.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003