Potential Recruits

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 06 Nov 2007, 21:09

Not that we really need another forward but with Harbinson coaching there now, I wonder if we have a shot at this kid playing for Penticton.

http://bchl.bc.ca/leagues/rosters_profi ... rID=332233
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Nov 2007, 09:12

Rabid_Husky wrote: Not that we really need another forward but with Harbinson coaching there now, I wonder if we have a shot at this kid playing for Penticton.

There seems to be less rush to get BCHL kids out of juniors and on to the active roster.  He looks like he could be a good candidate for an '09.  You're right that they don't seem to need another forward for '09 at the moment, but development needs often move kids back.  Oliver, for example, will need a year of juniors at least, and he's NOT going to leave Roseau early.  Hanowski will need a year of juniors too, but there's a decent chance he'll leave early.  Ravndalen could possibly do two years in the USHL. Cunti and Nodl could both be gone by then.  Who knows?
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Nov 2007, 11:05

The_Exiled_One wrote: [quote author=Rabid_Husky link=1182178387/75#90 date=1194401387]Not that we really need another forward but with Harbinson coaching there now, I wonder if we have a shot at this kid playing for Penticton.

There seems to be less rush to get BCHL kids out of juniors and on to the active roster.  He looks like he could be a good candidate for an '09.  You're right that they don't seem to need another forward for '09 at the moment, but development needs often move kids back.  Oliver, for example, will need a year of juniors at least, and he's NOT going to leave Roseau early.  Hanowski will need a year of juniors too, but there's a decent chance he'll leave early.  Ravndalen could possibly do two years in the USHL.  Cunti and Nodl could both be gone by then.  Who knows?[/quote]

nodl won't be with the team after this year and Cunti won't be with the team after next year.
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 15 Nov 2007, 10:28

Seems Ben Hanowski's brother Beau won't be playing hockey.

He's accepted a baseball scholarship to South Dakota State.

I'm guessing he wasn't on our radar anyway but good luck to him.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 15 Nov 2007, 10:43

Nick Mattson has chosen the Sioux. Don't think we were in the running for him.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
brokenbat
2nd Line

Unread post 15 Nov 2007, 13:10

i think beau could have played hockey somewhere after juniors but he is a stud baseball player as is ben, who could play baseball @ the d2 level
Huskie
1st Line

Unread post 15 Nov 2007, 18:47

nodl won't be with the team after this year and Cunti won't be with the team after next year.

[/quote]
I think you are wrong on both players. Noodle needs alot of work to make it even in the AHL, my guess with Cunti is he will need as much or more. Do you think either of them are at the level Gorden was last year as far as being ready, then again they might enjoy the ECHL!! Just for S&G's, has any player from SCSU ever done better by leaving vs. staying another year or two. The only one I would consider is Finger, and that was an age issue as much as talent.
roadking
2nd Line

Unread post 15 Nov 2007, 23:03

Certainly Matt Cullen, maybe even Mark Parrish. Although he played a year of junior before going to the NHL.
Huskie
1st Line

Unread post 15 Nov 2007, 23:31

roadking wrote: Certainly Matt Cullen, maybe even Mark Parrish. Although he played a year of junior before going to the NHL.
Neither Matt or Mark went straight to the NHL.
LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 16 Nov 2007, 00:41

Finger didn't play in an NHL game right away either, he played at least a year if not two in the AHL first. Only guy I know since I've been following Husky Hockey to go straight to the NHL was Mark Hartigan when he went right into the Thrashers line up after his season ended... though he did go through Senior night he technically was a Junior all season, least he was announced as such. I won't admit to knowing much about the situation other than there was a Catch 22 with him that really kept him from four years with the Huskies.

Granted Mark shortly after going to the Thrashers ended up hurt and then didn't play too much in the NHL except every once and a while.

Everybody else in the past six years has started mo higher than the AHL after leaving whether it was early or not. Note that I'm going off the fact that I started watching during the 01'-'02 season.
Come to SCSU! Get whip-Lasch! -LadyHusky17

Did I mention I'm a bad speller? -LadyHusky17
pjoyn
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 16 Nov 2007, 09:14

I don't know if it is a technicality, but Malone only played 3 games with Wilkes-Barre and that was in the spring of his senior year. He was with the Pens from the start the following year for 81 games.
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 16 Nov 2007, 11:11

Huskie wrote:

Just for S&G's, has any player from SCSU ever done better by leaving vs. staying another year or two. The only one I would consider is Finger, and that was an age issue as much as talent. [/quote]

First, Malone didn't leave early.

Lenny Esau signed with Toronto after his soph season--got a sweet deal--Toronto paid for both his and his wife's college education. Lenny played ONLY in the AHL/NHL.

Hedican left early, played about 20 minutes with Peoria and went right to the Blues.

Tyler Arnason left after jr. year, was Rookie of the Year in AHL (played 2/3 of the season with Norfolk and then went to the Blackhawks).

Matt Cullen signed a multi-million dollar deal with Anaheim after his soph. year.

Remember, too, that many ex-Huskies left because of "personal" reasons--i.e., the coach at the time.

Mark Parrish did play a year of major juniors, then went almost immediately to the NHL.

IMO, all of the above-mentioned players did MUCH better leaving early. Of course, no one can predict whether they would have done better if they stayed at SCSU longer.
roadking
2nd Line

Unread post 16 Nov 2007, 11:16

The question was,"has any one done better by leaving early rather than staying for their 4 years". The half season Matt Cullen spent in the A served him a better than another year of wcha. Although there are a number of players, Josh Dewolf, that gave up a year or more of living the life of a local rock star to ride the bus for the rest of there playing days. At least we don't have the number of guys bailing early as does umtc or und. But that is the downside of high level recruits. For what its worth, Nodle isn't even the best player on this team right now. He may never play in the nhl but its hard to convince the player of that when you have to decide between a signing bonus that looks like a lottery winning compared to the mac-n-cheese existence of a college kid.
Huskie
1st Line

Unread post 16 Nov 2007, 16:30

Boomer wrote: [quote author=Huskie link=1182178387/75#96 date=1195170442]

Just for S&G's, has any player from SCSU ever done better by leaving vs. staying another year or two. The only one I would consider is Finger, and that was an age issue as much as talent. [/quote]

[/quote]First, Malone didn't leave early.

Lenny Esau signed with Toronto after his soph season--got a sweet deal--Toronto paid for both his and his wife's college education.  Lenny played ONLY in the AHL/NHL.

Hedican left early, played about 20 minutes with Peoria and went right to the Blues.

Tyler Arnason left after jr. year, was Rookie of the Year in AHL (played 2/3 of the season with Norfolk and then went to the Blackhawks).

Matt Cullen signed a multi-million dollar deal with Anaheim after his soph. year.

Remember, too, that many ex-Huskies left because of "personal" reasons--i.e., the coach at the time.  

Mark Parrish did play a year of major juniors, then went almost immediately to the NHL.

IMO, all of the above-mentioned players did MUCH better leaving early.  Of course, no one can predict whether they would have done better if they stayed at SCSU longer.

[/quote]

Hate to disagree Boomer but of your list i would only agree with Hedican and Esau, Esau did get a sweet deal and probably left at the right time. Hedican's needs to have an ** since he used the olympic exposure to leverage a deal and faster exit. I still think Parrish and Cullen would have done as well staying another year. As you stated Malone did stay his 4 yrs and Tyler would have if not for the Lahma. My short list of good decisions to leave early, (revised), is Esau, Finger and Hartigan.
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 16 Nov 2007, 16:34

I'm glad I didn't leave early. Sometimes I came too soon, but that's another story.