Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

Potential Recruits

Potential Recruits

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!

Potential Recruits

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 31 Oct 2007, 11:31

Leddy picked the Gophers today, apparently we were one of the teams in the running for him.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Potential Recruits

Unread postby scsutommyboy » 31 Oct 2007, 12:51

Rabid_Husky wrote: Leddy picked the Gophers today, apparently we were one of the teams in the running for him.

I am starting to get worried about our future defenseman. Motzko has lost out on a ton over the last two years and this team needs defensemen.
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Potential Recruits

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 31 Oct 2007, 13:10

scsutommyboy wrote: [quote author=Rabid_Husky link=1182178387/75#75 date=1193848281]Leddy picked the Gophers today, apparently we were one of the teams in the running for him.

I am starting to get worried about our future defenseman.  Motzko has lost out on a ton over the last two years and this team needs defensemen.

[/quote]

Yeah, we defintely aren't getting the high end ones right now.

We are bringing in 3 next year though in Hepp, Kieffer, and Zabkowicz, and we lose 3 with Brocklehurst, Stephenson and Anderson, so we'll still have 8.

What I'm hoping is guys like Gaudet and Barta keep improving so they can be regulars and we go from there.

It could just be a numbers game at this point.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Potential Recruits

Unread postby scsutommyboy » 31 Oct 2007, 15:14

Rabid_Husky wrote: [quote author=scsutommyboy link=1182178387/75#76 date=1193853098][quote author=Rabid_Husky link=1182178387/75#75 date=1193848281]Leddy picked the Gophers today, apparently we were one of the teams in the running for him.

I am starting to get worried about our future defenseman.  Motzko has lost out on a ton over the last two years and this team needs defensemen.

[/quote]

We are bringing in 3 next year though in Hepp, Kieffer, and Zabkowicz, and we lose 3 with Brocklehurst, Stephenson and Anderson, so we'll still have 8.

What I'm hoping is guys like Gaudet and Barta keep improving so they can be regulars and we go from there.

It could just be a numbers game at this point. [/quote]

you would think we could land some because it would be easy for Motzko to promise tons of ice time.
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Potential Recruits

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 31 Oct 2007, 16:39

scsutommyboy wrote: [quote author=Rabid_Husky link=1182178387/75#77 date=1193854254][quote author=scsutommyboy link=1182178387/75#76 date=1193853098][quote author=Rabid_Husky link=1182178387/75#75 date=1193848281]Leddy picked the Gophers today, apparently we were one of the teams in the running for him.

[/quote]

It could just be a numbers game at this point. [/quote]

you would think we could land some because it would be easy for Motzko to promise tons of ice time.

[/quote]

You would think. Maybe he wants to run with what he has for now and see what he can do with it. Or it could be because for now he's got no choice.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Potential Recruits

Unread postby Boomer » 01 Nov 2007, 11:18

Remember, "In Bob We Trust."

This need for quality defensemen is the reason of the Johnny Swanson Experiment.

Motzko noted after the radio show on Monday that even though the Huskies are getting outshot, SCSU is only giving up less than two goals per game. "And we should score at least three," he said.

SCSU is looking for defensemen--and don't forget about The Rioux. He will be here next year, too.

On a side note, Kevin Allenspach has a nice article on Dave Carlisle in today's Times. I mentioned before that I think Raboin and Carlisle have been the two most consistent defensive defensemen so far this year.
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Potential Recruits

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 01 Nov 2007, 11:27

Blue Chip

91 - D - Nate Schmidt (St. Cloud Cathedral)

92 - F - Emerson Etem (Shattuck)

Not Dissappointed

90 - D - Drew Olson (Brainerd)

90 - F - Luke Grenier (Shattuck)

91 - F - Jared Maetche (St. Cloud Tech)

92 - D - Andrew Pitts (Brooklyn Park)

90 - F - Zack Lehrke (Park Rapids)

90 - F - Tyler Landman (Roseau)

USHL

90 - F - Matt Leitner (Ohio)

90 - D - John Moore (Chicago)

91 - D - Barron Smith (Chicago)

BCHL

90 - F - James Kerr (Alberni Valley)

90 - D - Michael Quinn (Surrey)

91 - F - Steve Oursov (Trail)

91 - D - Clinton Atkinson (Salmon Arm)

90 - D - Wes McLeod (Prince George)

AJHL

90 - D - Wade Bergman (Olds)

Well, it's looking like the only obvious blue chipper left in SCSU's wheelhouse is Nate Schmidt.  Zach Budish will be a sue or a goofer.  Emerson Etem is quickly climbing the status ladder now, so it'll only be a matter of time before SCSU is out of the running for him.  He stays on the list as a potential "get to them early" candidate for now.  Matt Leitner from Ohio is looking great on paper right now and he's from Los Alamitos, CA.  He should be open to any WCHA team's advances.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Potential Recruits

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 01 Nov 2007, 12:38

Boomer wrote: Remember, "In Bob We Trust."

This need for quality defensemen is the reason of the Johnny Swanson Experiment.

Motzko noted after the radio show on Monday that even though the Huskies are getting outshot, SCSU is only giving up less than two goals per game.  "And we should score at least three," he said.

SCSU is looking for defensemen--and don't forget about The Rioux.  He will be here next year, too.

On a side note, Kevin Allenspach has a nice article on Dave Carlisle in today's Times.  I mentioned before that I think Raboin and Carlisle have been the two most consistent defensive defensemen so far this year.

Rioux! That's the 4th one. I knew we had 4 freshman D-men next year and couldn't remember the last one.

And personally I think the D just needs more games together to get better.

Other than Stephenson and Raboin, no one has been a "regular" at D for us.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Potential Recruits

Unread postby Boomer » 01 Nov 2007, 12:55

Rabid, you are correct, but they are sometimes downright scary to watch in person! Trouble controlling the puck, don't hit many people, and have trouble getting the puck out of the zone in an effective manner.

Remember, too, that Canicius (?), UMD, and Bemidji are not high-end scoring teams.
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Potential Recruits

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 01 Nov 2007, 13:14

I know they aren't, but I don't know how well Swanson is going to help, except on puck control but I fear that what we gain in puck control we lose in defensive positioning and know how.

Personally I think Stephenson needs to relax and let the game come to him and not worry so much about the letter he has on his chest and he'll be fine.

Other than that, it's just time to gel like the offense. I mean coming into the season, Carlisle had played 47 games, Ammerman 14, Gaudet 4, Anderson 49 (some at forward) and Barta 0.

I trust Motzko but it just seems they need experience.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Potential Recruits

Unread postby doedahusky » 02 Nov 2007, 00:15

Bob is going to come up with the hockey equivalent of the spread offense, four forwards on the ice and one dman. We will be the hockey version of Hawaii's football team.
doedahusky
2nd Line

Potential Recruits

Unread postby Boomer » 02 Nov 2007, 17:23

doe wrote: Bob is going to come up with the hockey equivalent of the spread offense, four forwards on the ice and one dman.  We will be the hockey version of Hawaii's football team.  

Right on!! Motzko has the Hawaii, West Coast Offense, Run and Gun thing all going at the same time!! ;D
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Potential Recruits

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 06 Nov 2007, 15:26

Cameron Cooper D-man out of Waterloo and formerly of Holy Angels has chosen MSUM.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Potential Recruits

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 06 Nov 2007, 15:36

Rabid_Husky wrote: Cameron Cooper D-man out of Waterloo and formerly of Holy Angels has chosen MSUM.

I think I had him on my wishlist a long time ago.  He seems to be a decent offensive defenseman.  He'll be an asset to MSUM's blueline.

I'm still interested to see what Matt Crandell's going to do. He put up solid numbers last year (good +/- as well as some decent points). He's off to a good start this year as well. I know the Huskies have Kieffer, Rioux, and Zabkowicz lined up, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that's still going to be the weak spot on the team. Maybe the Huskies could offer him a scholarship for '09 and he can be one of Sioux City's five '88s on next year's team? I dunno, it just seems like a waste to have modest performers on the bench when there's decent local talent NOT even on the roster.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Potential Recruits

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 06 Nov 2007, 18:06

I've been wondering about him and Alex Stuart, both seemed like great talents when they went into the USHL and I'm kinda surprised they are both still there. I wonder what offers they've gotten and if Motzko has gone after them, I would think he has.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hockey