Potential Recruits

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 03 May 2014, 22:17

I wonder who will be the first kid Don snipes?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content ... urky-world" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I'm kind of glad Motzko and Don have a relationship. It should help keep Lucia away from our recruits.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 03 May 2014, 22:38

The_Exiled_One wrote:I wonder who will be the first kid Don snipes?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content ... urky-world" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I'm kind of glad Motzko and Don have a relationship. It should help keep Lucia away from our recruits.
I don't think even that relationship would stop Lucia. I could even see some of the early verbal commits he's irritated by recently might be some of our own. I know he's got to have other he's thinking about but as a friend of mine said, he's got to be losing recruiting battles at home he'd never had trouble with years ago for part of this to be going on.

Wonder what Motzko thought/voted about this.
Come to SCSU! Get whip-Lasch! -LadyHusky17

Did I mention I'm a bad speller? -LadyHusky17
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 03 May 2014, 23:11

Maybe, but I don't think so. Driscoll committed after Edquist. R. Poehling was not the target of the brothers. They weren't after Slattery. Maybe Wahlin, but that's not the impression I got.

I think he's probably got his eye on some of the Bulldog recruits though.

~ Nic Dowd
HuskyFan64
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 04 May 2014, 06:20

Lucia is SUCH a pile :roll:
Conference Regular Season Titles: 1987 (NCHA), 2013 (WCHA), 2014, 2018, 2019
Conference Playoff Titles: 2001 (WCHA), 2016
Frozen Four: 1987 (DII), 2013
Hobey Baker: 2013 Drew LeBlanc!
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 04 May 2014, 13:32

Doesn't matter who he has an eye on, this guise that it's for the players is garbage. No Don, it's the fact that you and some of the other big name school don't like the fact you are not winning annually anymore. You complain about stockpiling, buti can easily see you and these other teams now stockpiling because of this and not caring at all. You also complain about teams walking away from commits? Look in your own house Don. You kept pushing Ryan Walters back and tried to do it again, he told you to screw and went to UNO.
Can't win fairly, so now you will try to manipulate your way to titles. The whole thing just smells.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 05 May 2014, 23:11

I'm going to get a new one torn for this, but I agree with Don a bit. Verbal agreements are ridiculous to me. If you're not old enough to sign the paper, then wait the year to make the announcement. I don't agree with the method of sniping committed players, but colleges really are pressuring for commitments earlier and earlier. I'm just waiting for SCSU's first recruit with the same birth year as the current season.

Calling it a "gentleman’s agreement" is just as absurd. A gentleman’s agreement isn't something that at least 1 of 5 disagrees with, but the vote forces them into it (I'd like to know what the 59th vote was). Once it is broken by one in the pact, it is basically void anyway. Since it there is no real repercussions, the fifth that don't like it won't follow it.

We're on a pretty slippery slope as-is with offering roster spots to such young kids. Heck, we got an agreement from a goalie this year who is 3-4 years out. We don't know if he'll be worth bringing in, and maybe circumstances will make him want to go to school out of state. Either we're going to look bad for leaving another kid out in the rain, or he looks like a turncoat for decommitting. Personally, I was between SCSU, UND, and DU until just before I walked for my diploma.

Really, I agree with moving the LOI period up a year, and then have the agreement apply for the year before. If a kid really wants to come here, like Easton Brodzinski, the verbal commitment is moot anyway.
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 06 May 2014, 02:36

You make a lot of good points, but I know of kids who make the verbal just so they stop being recruited, or at least recruited as heavily. I don't want hockey to become like football where a kid ends up committed to 3 or 4 schools before making a decision during the circus that is signing day. Also, recruiting younger is one of the tools kids/schools can use to keep the CHL at bay. Sure it may not mean much in the end, but when they can start going after kids at 14-15, why shouldn't the NCAA? Hockey is so very different from other sports in the NCAA, I'm of the mind that there should be separate recruiting rules for it but since hockey doesn't make the NCAA enough money, it won't happen. But I can think of no other sport where kids have an entirely different development path available to them before they hit the pros and no other sport where that path can steal kids at will with no repurcussions and no recourse for the NCAA schools to do a damn thing about it.
Now it's possible we start stealing each other's kids up until they sign an LOI and doing it openly? The CHL would start looking like a good option if it would keep recruiters away from hounding me day and night if I had the talent.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 06 May 2014, 09:22

MD, I agree with verbals being a bit ridiculous in principle, but there are some practical benefits. They (kind of) put colleges on the hook for honoring the scholarship offer. Also, I can understand why kids and their parents are tempted to "achieve" the goal of earning a scholarship.

From the college side, the benefit is the ability to plan out recruiting classes in advance. If you look at a spreadsheet of college commitments, the teams that tend to stockpile positively correlate to teams that regularly win. It's not a coincidence. However, the gamble is that any one particular recruit won't turn out the way the coaches hoped. That leaves the coach in a bind... renege on the offer, or waste a roster spot.

It should go without saying, getting rid of the gentleman's agreement would not curtail verbal commitments. It would only increase the number of kids backing out on verbal commitments. Colleges will continue to make verbal scholarship offers to increasingly younger prospects, and prospects will continue to accept them. That won't change.

As for the gentleman's agreement, nobody is forced to follow it. We can expect that some don't already and some will just stop doing so. However, the rest of the league that are in favor of it can continue to practice it amongst themselves. There are D1 college and football teams that have NEVER flipped or attempted to flip a verbal commitment. You'll continue see that in hockey too.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 06 May 2014, 11:00

Former area prospect Kyle Sylvester (Warroad by way of Little Falls) went #1 to the Fargo Force in the USHL draft. He'll get multiple D1 offers. He'd be in SCSU's wheelhouse if we didn't already have a dozen forwards of similar size/age.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 06 May 2014, 14:42

I like Mike and Jonny, but I haven't talked much with the rest of the Brodzinski's. I wish the entire family well, but I still wonder why everybody is under the impression that Easton is a surefire D1 talent? He could be someday, but so far not even one of the USHL teams has taken a flyer on him. I think that says a lot considering two of his teammates went today and one of them went yesterday. True he's only a junior, but Michael skipped his senior year, so you'd think a USHL club might expect Easton could be talked into it too. I guess we'll see.

~ Nic Dowd
FalcoBro8
1st Line

Unread post 06 May 2014, 17:32

The_Exiled_One wrote:Former area prospect Kyle Sylvester (Warroad by way of Little Falls) went #1 to the Fargo Force in the USHL draft. He'll get multiple D1 offers. He'd be in SCSU's wheelhouse if we didn't already have a dozen forwards of similar size/age.
Is he even a D1 prospect or just a product of Roth and Bethune?
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 06 May 2014, 18:56

FalcoBro8 wrote:Is he even a D1 prospect or just a product of Roth and Bethune?
You always run that risk, but Fargo obviously thinks he's legit.

~ Nic Dowd
FalcoBro8
1st Line

Unread post 07 May 2014, 00:11

The_Exiled_One wrote:
FalcoBro8 wrote:Is he even a D1 prospect or just a product of Roth and Bethune?
You always run that risk, but Fargo obviously thinks he's legit.
Yeah to make him the 1st overall pick speaks volumes as to what they think of his potential, just seems to me that he benefited from playing with some extremely talented players, Bethune in particular. But nevertheless congrats to the kid and hopefully he proves that hes good enough to play at the next level.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 May 2014, 01:26

Easton doesn't look like he'd compete with Jonny for points, and I haven't seen him play, but I don't think he is one to neglect nor dismiss offhandedly. I doubt that he wouldn't be able to take Rehkamp or Oliver's spot on the team. Jonny had a black mark for bad skating, and was on a line with Nick Bjugstad, which helped his point production. Being drafted into the USHL, even playing in the league, isn't the end-all for college hockey potential. Look at the players that Freddy has developed and passed along from Penticton. Really, with family ties like the Brodzinkis, you toss them a bone and recruit the young man. Worst-case scenario, he's likely a Holka practice player with occasional ice time. (Side note: Jonny graduated early from HS and went into the USHL, did Michael do the same?)

Good points on the whole gentleman's agreement business. School-to-school sniping really doesn't seem to be much of a problem currently (correct me if I'm wrong) - likely due to this agreement. I think the coaches and schools need to focus on helping the NCAA and College Hockey Inc with Canadian leagues sniping players. Just last year it seemed a dozen players were lost to the CHL who were already committed (hurt Miami and NoDak a lot recently).
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 09 May 2014, 14:49

The twitterverse is buzzing with colleges reaffirming their commitment to the gentleman's agreement...

https://twitter.com/BillRiga/status/464829320146325504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://twitter.com/CoachBlasi/status/4 ... 7328243712" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://twitter.com/NDHockey/status/464824868211818496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Assuming Motzko voted in favor, it'd be in his best interest to tweet about it RIGHT NOW while it's still buzzing.

~ Nic Dowd