Potential Recruits

Discuss the future NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Champions here!
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 15 Jul 2008, 10:12

The_Exiled_One wrote: [quote author=scsutommyboy link=1182178387/350#358 date=1216126575][quote author=The_Exiled_One link=1182178387/350#356 date=1216094181][quote author=Skeeterman link=1182178387/350#355 date=1216069974]Whatever happened with Parrish, it turned out well for SCSU.
The Gophers didn't show much interest in him.

Strangly enough, I think the biggest recruit SCSU landed that Minnesota courted was Hedican.  Back in the day, Bret decided he'd rather build a team than just be another footnote (paging Mike Howe).  That's one of many reasons why Hedican is my favorite all-time Husky.[/quote]

Man the sh#t gets thick on this site! I think you need to check your sources.  Brett was never recruited by the Gophers and he credits Brooks and Dahl with giving him a chance nobody else would.[/quote]
Oops, my bad, I guess I did hear that wrong then, but at least I know he didn't play for Omaha!!  ;)[/quote]

Hey, I was trying to give an excuse for not living up to the hype! 8-)
scsuhuskyfan
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 15 Jul 2008, 11:33

I know they weren't born in Minnesota which Woog already excluded as Gopher recruits, but the biggest recruits we stole from the Gophers IMO were Arnie, Malone, Harti etc... the fact we were lighting up the Maroon and Gold those years indirectly resulted in Woog losing his job and put pressure on the U of M to look at maybe recruiting a few guys who weren't native Minnesotans.

But, outside of Cullen and Parrish I thought guys like Dicas, Joe Motzko and Sampair who weren't as hyped coming in were great recruits.
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 15 Jul 2008, 12:05

roblaplante wrote: I know they weren't born in Minnesota which Woog already excluded as Gopher recruits, but the biggest recruits we stole from the Gophers IMO were Arnie, Malone, Harti etc... the fact we were lighting up the Maroon and Gold those years indirectly resulted in Woog losing his job and put pressure on the U of M to look at maybe recruiting a few guys who weren't native Minnesotans.

But, outside of Cullen and Parrish I thought guys like Dicas, Joe Motzko and Sampair who weren't as hyped coming in were great recruits.

Dicas wasn't recruited by woog either. His Mom told me that the Gophers didn't even recruit him even though he was one of the best players in the USHL and from Burnsville.  Woog was not a good recruiter because he missed a ton of Minnesota kids that would have played for him if asked.

Sampair was told he needed to play a year of Junior hockey and then the gophers would consider him.  So he said screw that and signed with SCSU.  he later admitted he was glad he chose SCSU, but should have played one year in the USHL.

Also, Dicas was super hyped when he came to SCSU.  He was the national junior player of the year and big things were expected of him. Arnie was a big deal as well because they both were considered the two best players in the USHL their last year. These two were given just as much hype as Cullen and Parrish got when they came to campus.
scsuhuskyfan
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 15 Jul 2008, 14:36

What was the deal with Nate Dey as well. I think it was like the first Mr. Hockey to not go to the U. Did Lucia not want Dey then or was it a true steal for Dahl?
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 16 Jul 2008, 07:20

roblaplante wrote: What was the deal with Nate Dey as well. I think it was like the first Mr. Hockey to not go to the U. Did Lucia not want Dey then or was it a true steal for Dahl?

Lucia didn't want Dey because he was so raw. He had tons of potential but needed time to develope. In an ideal world Dey would have played another year in Greenbay. That would have made him a senior this year and given his overall career stats a huge boost.

Over the last couple years Dey really came on strong and I think if we could have droped his first year and added one next year he would have been a heck of a grab for Dahl. As it turns out he was an above average player, but never lived up to the hype Dahl gave him.

On a side note: The scouts picked a part Dey pretty good even though he was Mr. Hockey in Minnesota and non of the big name schools that I know of offered him anything out of high school. From what I heard they all said go to the USHL and then we will look at you again.
Rookie
2nd Line

Unread post 16 Jul 2008, 07:53

Wow, TB said something I actually agree with. :o Another year of juniors would have been ideal for Dey. He and Garrity put up big numbers for North St. Paul, but they were out there every other shift and their conference is awful. Aside from Hill-Murray, St. Thomas Academy, and the occasional good season from North, Tartan, or Mahtomedi, that conference is brutal. I'm always skeptical of Hill's ranking each year because their gaudy record comes from beating up on the Simley, Henry Sibley, and Richfield.

It would have been nice to have Dey around this year, but he still had a decent career. I don't know that his post college prospects would have been any better, but I'm glad he was with our program. It sounds like he was a good kid off the ice.

I know Garrity transferred out, but I forgot where he went. Any help?
pjoyn
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 16 Jul 2008, 08:12

Rookie wrote: Wow, TB said something I actually agree with.   :o  Another year of juniors would have been ideal for Dey.  He and Garrity put up big numbers for North St. Paul, but they were out there every other shift and their conference is awful.  Aside from Hill-Murray, St. Thomas Academy, and the occasional good season from North, Tartan, or Mahtomedi, that conference is brutal.  I'm always skeptical of Hill's ranking each year because their gaudy record comes from beating up on the Simley, Henry Sibley, and Richfield.

It would have been nice to have Dey around this year, but he still had a decent career.  I don't know that his post college prospects would have been any better, but I'm glad he was with our program.  It sounds like he was a good kid off the ice.

I know Garrity transferred out, but I forgot where he went.  Any help?

Eau Claire
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 21 Jul 2008, 09:03

The_Exiled_One wrote: The press release isn't out yet, but Oliver made the Select 18 Team that represents the USA in the Ivan Hlinka tournament.  He made the Select 17 Team last year as well.
Considering all of the players (save one) from last year's Select 18 team have either committed to college or gone to Major Juniors, there's a good chance these players will be receiving some increase recruiting attention...

D - Brian Dumoulin - NH Jr. Monarchs (EJHL)

D - Eamonn McDermott - Cleveland Barons AAA

D - Brendan Rempel - Avon Old Farms

F - Shane Berschbach - Little Caesar's

F - Caleb Herbert - Bloomington-Jefferson HS

F - Sean Little - Madison Capitals AAA

F - Christopher McCarthy - Berkshire Prep

F - Garrett Peterson - Team Illinois

F - Alex Wideman - St. Louis Blues AAA

Most of these players aren't in SCSU's traditional recruiting territory, but I thought it'd be easier just to list them all.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 22 Jul 2008, 07:01

Rookie wrote: Wow, TB said something I actually agree with.   :o  Another year of juniors would have been ideal for Dey.  He and Garrity put up big numbers for North St. Paul, but they were out there every other shift and their conference is awful.  Aside from Hill-Murray, St. Thomas Academy, and the occasional good season from North, Tartan, or Mahtomedi, that conference is brutal.  I'm always skeptical of Hill's ranking each year because their gaudy record comes from beating up on the Simley, Henry Sibley, and Richfield.

It would have been nice to have Dey around this year, but he still had a decent career.  I don't know that his post college prospects would have been any better, but I'm glad he was with our program.  It sounds like he was a good kid off the ice.

I know Garrity transferred out, but I forgot where he went.  Any help?

Ouch!!! Talk about taking a shot at a guy.
Rookie
2nd Line

Unread post 22 Jul 2008, 07:47

scsutommyboy wrote: Ouch!!! Talk about taking a shot at a guy.

I would have done better, but it's the off season and I'm a bit rusty.  ;) ;D
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 22 Jul 2008, 12:32

The_Exiled_One wrote: It looks like a few more Minnesotans were offered spots with the NTDP than last year, though I hear only one has accepted thus far (D - Justin Faulk - South St. Paul HS).  Others turned USA Hockey down flatly, and a couple are still hanging out there (but with very low expectations).  Congrats to those who earned an invite (unfortunately, no central Minnesotans).
Faulk committed to the bullfrogs.

~ Nic Dowd
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 22 Jul 2008, 12:54

The_Exiled_One wrote: [quote author=The_Exiled_One link=1182178387/300#317 date=1214921458]It looks like a few more Minnesotans were offered spots with the NTDP than last year, though I hear only one has accepted thus far (D - Justin Faulk - South St. Paul HS).  Others turned USA Hockey down flatly, and a couple are still hanging out there (but with very low expectations).  Congrats to those who earned an invite (unfortunately, no central Minnesotans).
Faulk committed to the bullfrogs.[/quote]

So is this kid going into 10th or 11th grade?
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 22 Jul 2008, 14:54

scsutommyboy wrote: [quote author=The_Exiled_One link=1182178387/350#370 date=1216747924][quote author=The_Exiled_One link=1182178387/300#317 date=1214921458]It looks like a few more Minnesotans were offered spots with the NTDP than last year, though I hear only one has accepted thus far (D - Justin Faulk - South St. Paul HS).  Others turned USA Hockey down flatly, and a couple are still hanging out there (but with very low expectations).  Congrats to those who earned an invite (unfortunately, no central Minnesotans).
Faulk committed to the bullfrogs.[/quote]

So is this kid going into 10th or 11th grade?

[/quote]
11th

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 24 Jul 2008, 14:30

Here's a 2009 mock draft with some college eligible kids still available in the first round.  I don't think this has a lot of credibility, but it's interesting anyway.

9. F - Jeremy Morin (NTDP, probably going Major Junior)

23. F - Eric Haula (Finnish kid coming to Shattuck)

30. D - Dylan Olsen (AJHL stud, hot commodity)

~ Nic Dowd
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 24 Jul 2008, 17:54

The_Exiled_One wrote: Here's a 2009 mock draft with some college eligible kids still available in the first round.  I don't think this has a lot of credibility, but it's interesting anyway.

9. F - Jeremy Morin (NTDP, probably going Major Junior)

23. F - Eric Haula (Finnish kid coming to Shattuck)

30. D - Dylan Olsen (AJHL stud, hot commodity)

Is this Dylan Olsen going major junior? Doesn't the studs from AJHL usually go Major Junior?