Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

2012 NCAA Rule Changes

2012 NCAA Rule Changes

Talk about those other, inferior, teams here.

Re: 2012 NCAA Rule Changes

Unread postby Duder » 25 Apr 2012, 22:20

mdneilson wrote:Rule change addition:

OT: Longer period, 4-on-4, and shootouts.
Awarding clear and imminent goals when the net is dislodged.

I'm fine with longer period, ok with 4-on-4 but please no shootouts.

The net dislodging rule is a no brainer in my opinion.
Duder
3rd Line

Unread postby mdneilson » 26 Apr 2012, 00:36

St. Cloud Times article on rule changes.

'“I think everyone in college hockey is unanimous in favor of it,” St. Cloud State men’s head coach Bob Motzko said. “It’s going to be overwhelming to go in that direction. They did a survey of the players this year and the players want to do it.

“But all we can do is provide information. The NCAA safety committee are the ones who will have to do a study.”'
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 04 May 2012, 19:46

Looks like three-quarter mask rule is pretty likely.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2 ... n_ever.php
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 09 Jun 2012, 03:43

The NCAA has submitted their rule change requests for the next two years:

1. The use of three-quarter visors will be tabled for another two years to allow the committee to work more closely with the NCAA Committee on Competitive Safeguards to assess the risks and benefits of moving to an all-visor system.

2. Goals will be allowed for a dislodged net that stays in contact with the pegs and would have clearly scored had the net not moved. This will only apply when a defensive player moves the net, an offensive player causing the dislodge will still be disallowed.

3. The rule for disallowing goals off of a player's skate will be changed to a "distinct kicking motion" like in the NHL.

4. The committee was unable to come to a consensus on OT changes. A 5-minute 4-on-4 overtime period will be allowed for non-league play, but only if agreed on by both teams. And a conference has the choice of 5-on-5 or 4-on-4 5-minute overtime period, and the option of a shootout if still tied after OT.

5. Hand passes will be made illegal in all zones, and a team that commits a hand pass in the defensive zone will not be allowed to change players (like icing).

6. Goal judges are no longer required for NCAA games and will only be recommended.

7. A review of any disqualification penalty by the on-ice officials will be allowed post-game. The procedure for review will be determined if the change is set.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 09 Jun 2012, 04:10

My opinion/reactions:

1. Delayed 3/4 visors: Good, all of the factors that have been presented so far are pure speculation, and the one bit of "data" that has been presented is comparing half visors to no face protection at all. However, there seems to be a total lack of any empirical data relevant to our case, so maybe the best thing to do is to try it out. If the players and coaches think 3/4 visors would still prevent a vast majority of facial injuries while also curving risky behavior (which they do), go for it. Keep extremely good records of the injuries and their severity during the test period. If the results show that their hypothesis is incorrect, then just return to required cages.

2. Goals with net dislodged: This is a no-brainer. About damned time - except that I think it should count no matter who bumps the net. This feels a bit like the old 'player in the crease' rule. I don't want another goal disallowed like Peter Szabo's toe did.

3. Distinct kicking motion: Uhm, duh.

4. Overtime: Really? This feels like a cheap cop-out. Even without a consensus, what is wrong with just tacking on an extra 5 minutes to the OT period (and maybe a 5-minute rest instead of 2)? It isn't drastic enough to rough feathers, but still provides a change for future committees to use as a benchmark for future evaluation.

5. Hand passes: I HATE this change. I don't like making it illegal in the d-zone, but not letting the players change is worse. Everyone's gut reaction will be to swat at the puck since they've been allowed to until now. And if you're going to establish this change, then penalize the teams that still attempt a line change. Changing players on an icing is already established as 2-minute minor 'delay of game' in the rule book, so start calling it.

6. Goal judge not required: This is two-sided for me. I don't care that goal judges aren't required any more, because they were pointless since the on-ice official still made the final call anyway. What I think they should have done is kept the goal judge requirement and made him responsible for the call - then you don't have a official who has to admit he was wrong and overrule a decision that he made just 2 minutes ago.

7. DQ post-game reviews: I very much like this addition, but the make or break will be the implementation. I don't expect this to turn foul though.

Side note: they also proposed to make the 4 on-ice officials mandatory for all NCAA Men's games, but since that has already been the rule for D1, I left it out.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby HuskySuperFanDave » 10 Jun 2012, 00:37

Mdneilson- I completely agree with all your pts, well stated. Hopefully your ideas will be done. I hate the hand pass proposal as well, I hope they add 5mins to OT. I hate shootouts.
HuskySuperFanDave
Redshirt

Unread postby mdneilson » 10 Jun 2012, 18:41

Correction: 4-on-4 OT and/or shootouts after an OT period are optional for each conference to decide what format they prefer. (so, better, but I don't see more than one or two conferences utilizing it) I will update my post above too.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby HuskySuperFanDave » 10 Jun 2012, 20:47

I read about the OT / changes on USCHO so I guess I mIssed that you didn't state 4 on 4. Regardless, if they make a change I would Prefer: Add 5mins to OT. If they don't want to add 5mins, Than 4 on 4. Last and hopefully never, a shoot out.
HuskySuperFanDave
Redshirt

Unread postby mdneilson » 11 Jun 2012, 00:59

HuskySuperFanDave wrote:I read about the OT / changes on USCHO so I guess I mIssed that you didn't state 4 on 4. Regardless, if they make a change I would Prefer: Add 5mins to OT. If they don't want to add 5mins, Than 4 on 4. Last and hopefully never, a shoot out.

I had 4-on-4, but only for non-league games. I added the detail that a conference may adjust OT as well.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Previous

Return to Other Hockey Teams