Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

2012 NCAA Rule Changes

2012 NCAA Rule Changes

Talk about those other, inferior, teams here.

2012 NCAA Rule Changes

Unread postby mdneilson » 21 Mar 2012, 03:03

What is on the table so far from what I've heard:

Removing the ability for a player to slide or go prone to block a pass or shot.

Disallowing hand passes in the defensive zone.

Allowing the use of half-shields or visors.

Delay of game penalty for shooting the puck out of the play area from the defensive zone.

OT: Longer period, 4-on-4, and shootouts.

Awarding clear and imminent goals when the net is dislodged.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Re: 2012 NCAA Rule Changes

Unread postby mdneilson » 21 Mar 2012, 03:05

I really don't understand the visor argument. Masks prevent things like this from happening (warning: somewhat graphic): http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnh ... gfddfs.jpg That is UND's 2007 Hobey Baker winner Ryan Duncan after taking a skate to the face.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 21 Mar 2012, 07:44

Image Removing the ability for a player to slide or go prone to block a pass or shot.

Image Disallowing hand passes in the defensive zone.

Image Allowing the use of half-shields or visors.

Image Delay of game penalty for shooting the puck out of the play area from the defensive zone.

Sorry md, as much as I like the idea of these young men being protected, almost every one of them wears a half-shield before they play college. The ones who play in the WJC... half-shield. I'm not saying the players should have final say on their gear, but this is a competitive disadvantage of NCAA hockey that is easily remedied.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 21 Mar 2012, 13:43

I understand that they are required to only have half-shields in juniors, but I still think it is stupid. It is so common in juniors and the NHL because of fighting and the blood rule. In a sport where you fly around on sharp steel blades and use a 5' stick to hammer a frozen hard puck at 80 mph it is amazing to me that anyone would want their face exposed. I don't see any point to half-shields other than appearance, and the uptick in injuries really makes it a bad idea. But in the end, it is the individual's responsibility to make the descisions that better protects themselves. With the recent focus on head injuries, I think that they should allow shields (especially if it makes players more cautious when hitting), but make Messier concussion helmets mandatory.

One rule addition:

Icing is called at all times, including during a shorthanded situation.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 21 Mar 2012, 14:02

mdneilson wrote:Icing is called at all times, including during a shorthanded situation.

The big issue with that rule was combining it with the "no line change on your own icing" rule. That is, you'd force the exhausted PK players to stay on the ice against five fresh PP skaters. The theory is that tired players are more likely to get injured. Plus, the NCAA rulebook would be even less like other league rulebooks, which is a competitive disadvantage.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 21 Mar 2012, 14:08

How is a full cage vs a half shield a "competative disadvantage?"
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 21 Mar 2012, 14:39

Rabid_Husky wrote:How is a full cage vs a half shield a "competative disadvantage?"

High level players prefer to wear half-shields over cages. Ask ANY of them.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Fangs » 21 Mar 2012, 18:24

The_Exiled_One wrote:
Rabid_Husky wrote:How is a full cage vs a half shield a "competative disadvantage?"

I have to agree with Rabid on this one. I don't see how it will lower a players ability to play in anyway. Preference and having it affect play are two different things and I would be okay with the NHL making a move to full mask as well. I am for anything that increases player safety without a large affect on the game. Short hand icing sounds okay at first, but I wonder if it is so far removed from other leagues, that it might become an issue? I think that would have to be seen to know for sure however.
St. Cloud State University GGGGGOOOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!!
Fangs
2nd Line

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 21 Mar 2012, 18:29

The_Exiled_One wrote:

Great, that's a preference. It still doesn't make it a competative disadvantage to wear a full cage vs a half shield. Are you insinuating that more high level players would choose the NCAA with half shields? No offense but that seems extremely silly to me.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby scsutommyboy » 21 Mar 2012, 21:18

Full face shields allow players to play reckless and allow dangerous play. I know people think they protect and do, but players who wear them play of out of control because of of them. There are so many more flying elbows and sticks at the college level because of the full mask. Players also block more shots and throw their body in fron of pucks that pro's can't because of the full shield.

Disclaimer: anybody younger than 18 should always wear a full shield.........
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 21 Mar 2012, 23:49

scsutommyboy wrote:Full face shields allow players to play reckless and allow dangerous play. I know people think they protect and do, but players who wear them play of out of control because of of them. There are so many more flying elbows and sticks at the college level because of the full mask. Players also block more shots and throw their body in fron of pucks that pro's can't because of the full shield.

I hear this as an argument a lot, but I don't see the evidence to back it up. More equivalently than the NHL, NCAA D1 should be compared to major juniors. Major juniors kids still fight, high stick, hit in venerable spots, block shots, etc. To me the reasoning that kids are more responsible with less protection means that motorcyclists are the safest drivers on the road. How many injuries have we seen in the NHL this year that came from incidental plays that hit an unprotected player in the face?
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 22 Mar 2012, 12:11

Rabid_Husky wrote:Are you insinuating that more high level players would choose the NCAA with half shields? No offense but that seems extremely silly to me.

I am insinuating that, but am I not suggesting it's a major differentiator. It's minor, but I'm suggesting that it does more harm in recruiting than it does good in player safety.

And to Fangs point, I don't really think a cage negatively affects performance. It's just a psychological block for players, which is why they all prefer half-shields.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Fangs » 22 Mar 2012, 12:42

I can see a bit of a psychological block but coming from using a mask for 15 or so years, I don't know if it will make that big of a deal for recruiting. Also if it did, being an NCAA rule, it would affect all teams equally. I don't think the size of the face mask would really affect a players decision on whether to play college hockey or not.
St. Cloud State University GGGGGOOOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!!
Fangs
2nd Line

Unread postby mdneilson » 31 Mar 2012, 20:55

mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 20 Apr 2012, 14:55

Rule change addition:

OT: Longer period, 4-on-4, and shootouts.
Awarding clear and imminent goals when the net is dislodged.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Next

Return to Other Hockey Teams