Attn: Saint

Set-up ice times with board members, discuss leagues, talk smack, etc.
Husky1
1st Line

Unread post 20 Feb 2006, 23:45

I remember you saying you wanted to play forward on Sunday, so I'm offering you my spot up front. Sure, I might be a liability for our next game, but we're playing Old School for god's sake. What's the difference if we lose by 10 or 12? Let me know if your interested and I'll start practicing skating backwards. :D

Sincerely,

Hot Carl
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 21 Feb 2006, 00:06

Sniper, if you'd rather remain up front, I'd be willing to play back. I actually kind of enjoy it, but I assume I don't get put back there because I suck.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
Husky1
1st Line

Unread post 21 Feb 2006, 00:11

The_Exiled_One wrote: Sniper, if you'd rather remain up front, I'd be willing to play back.  I actually kind of enjoy it, but I assume I don't get put back there because I suck.

I'd actually like to try D, at least for one game. I figure it might as well be a game we most likely won't win anyway. Of course you could say that for almost any game this session.
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 21 Feb 2006, 01:15

How 'bout you and me? Just like Fletcher and Stephenson, I'll be Fletcher!
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 21 Feb 2006, 09:23

how about hell no to both of you on the same line as d....im not telling you that yall suck, but since i know i suck, i at least need you two nebie defensmen paired up with someone who has played it...and if it was my choice, for my own comedic enjoyment, id like to see carl paired up with craig
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey
Husky1
1st Line

Unread post 26 Feb 2006, 00:02

Peters_4_Hobey wrote: how about hell no to both of you on the same line as d....im not telling you that yall suck, but since i know i suck, i at least need you two nebie defensmen paired up with someone who has played it...and if it was my choice, for my own comedic enjoyment, id like to see carl paired up with craig

How about myself and Glenn instead?  :D I could be the next Kelly Hultgren back there, you never know.

BTW, I'm glad I looked at our schedule today. I thought we were playing tonight, but it's actually tomorrow.
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Mar 2006, 10:42

carl, i dont think you did to bad back there considering the opposition
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey
Husky1
1st Line

Unread post 01 Mar 2006, 20:30

Peters_4_Hobey wrote: carl, i dont think you did to bad back there considering the opposition

Thanks. I thought I did pretty well in our zone, but they torched me in the transition game. I can't skate nearly as fast as most of their guys so it was kind of hopeless. I thought you played pretty well too, including a very nice glove save early in the game.

I'd play D again, but I'm guessing some people would rather have a better skater back there when we are playing games we actually have a chance of winning.
pjoyn
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Mar 2006, 21:20

Husky1 wrote:

I'd play D again, but I'm guessing some people would rather have a better skater back there when we are playing games we actually have a chance of winning.

When do you guys have a chance of winning a game?? Just kidding. Glad to hear you skated back Carl. I may suck at it, but I prefer playing defense. I think you get more of a chance to experience all aspects of the game.
Rookie
2nd Line

Unread post 01 Mar 2006, 21:26

pjoyn wrote:

When do you guys have a chance of winning a game??  Just kidding.  Glad to hear you skated back Carl.  I may suck at it, but I prefer playing defense.  I think you get more of a chance to experience all aspects of the game.

I think you skate much more aggressively as a forward than you do on D. Part of it is the nature of the position. I know sometimes I tend to think I have more time in my own zone as a defensemen when I actually have less. The forward that's forechecking has a full head of steam whereas I've just turned around from skating backwards. Mistakes in the defensive zone tend to be more costly as well.

In men's league games I prefer to play forward. On defense I feel a bit handcuffed since you can't check or be too physical with guys in the corners or the crease.
pjoyn
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 01 Mar 2006, 22:58

Rookie wrote:

I think you skate much more aggressively as a forward than you do on D.  Part of it is the nature of the position.  I know sometimes I tend to think I have more time in my own zone as a defensemen when I actually have less.  The forward that's forechecking has a full head of steam whereas I've just turned around from skating backwards.  Mistakes in the defensive zone tend to be more costly as well.

In men's league games I prefer to play forward.  On defense I feel a bit handcuffed since you can't check or be too physical with guys in the corners or the crease.

I agree with everything you said here. As anyone on the teams I have played on for the past few years, I get down on myself when I play D, to the point of being neurotic. I hate when I give up a goal or make a mistake. Mainly from a team standpoint.

I am more aggresive as a forward because I have a hard time getting up to speed going backwards. I wish I was more like Mary where I was better positionally and with my stick. Mary is not the fastest skater on our team or the best puck handler, but she rarely makes a mistake or is out of position.
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 02 Mar 2006, 06:15

i sucked hard in that game...i blame it on my new cup, i got a goalie jock and its friggen huge and uncomfortable...
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey