wintersession...game one...

Set-up ice times with board members, discuss leagues, talk smack, etc.
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Jan 2006, 10:56

monday @ 10:30...we play old school...im kinda worried, we lost a lot of fire power (brian, brenan, shorty and heinzman) and i know it took one of my best games to try and help u guys out to beat them...

anyways...MAKE SURE TO BRING MONEY!!!!!!!! if u dont someone has to cover you and it wont be me...

see you tomorrow *****!
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Jan 2006, 19:36

What time do you want Jason and I to show up with our money?
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Jan 2006, 21:11

as early as you can....i plan on getting there about an hour early..i dont really expect others to, beecause i know most wont...but whenever you can...

our team name is the warm fuzzies
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Jan 2006, 22:04

nick buche was looking at what lines we could do...and im telling you...its going to be a long season, loosing the people we lost i hope to god that d league is what it was like 2 years ago...
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Jan 2006, 23:03

Peters_4_Hobey wrote: nick buche was looking at what lines we could do...and im telling you...its going to be a long season, loosing the people we lost i hope to god that d league is what it was like 2 years ago...
I've improved enough to play defense if you need me to. I'm not good, of course, but I can play wherever. I've never taken a faceoff though, so not center or goalie.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
Husky1
1st Line

Unread post 08 Jan 2006, 23:42

Peters_4_Hobey wrote: nick buche was looking at what lines we could do...and im telling you...its going to be a long season, loosing the people we lost i hope to god that d league is what it was like 2 years ago...

What about your buddy and his friend and Jordan's friend? Won't they help supply a little offense?

Frankly I don't care. I'm just looking forward to having a good time and maybe scoring a few goals.
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 09 Jan 2006, 01:18

my buddy eric is prolly just shy of chris talent...hes going to prolly be defense though...his buddy justin is i guess pretty good, he will prolly center a line...jordans buddy isnt going to play, in his place brad said he could play again cuz he got his shifts changed at work...

so heres sort of the lines we kinda got...

w-c-w

jordan - chris - matt

tracy - justin - glen

carl - john - scott

def

greg - eric

nick - brad

jason - nathan

what skill level is nathan, carl?

petey wont be there this week i think he is on his honeymoon...

so nick buche is going to be playing forward this week...

anyone got a better line?
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey
pjoyn
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 09 Jan 2006, 01:29

Hey Nick, off topic, but what are you doing on Wednesday? We need another goalie for a GPL skate at Fogerty arena.
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 09 Jan 2006, 03:29

id normaly jump on it...but im in a bowling league on wednesday nights
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey
Husky1
1st Line

Unread post 09 Jan 2006, 04:43

Peters_4_Hobey wrote: my buddy eric is prolly just shy of chris talent...hes going to prolly be defense though...his buddy justin is i guess pretty good, he will prolly center a line...jordans buddy isnt going to play, in his place brad said he could play again cuz he got his shifts changed at work...

so heres sort of the lines we kinda got...

w-c-w

jordan - chris - matt

tracy - justin - glen

carl - john - scott

def

greg - eric

nick - brad

jason - nathan

what skill level is nathan, carl?

petey wont be there this week i think he is on his honeymoon...

so nick buche is going to be playing forward this week...

anyone got a better line?

To be honest, I don't know. I think he will be a steady player once he gets his legs under him. His dad was a coach and he grew up playing hockey (to bantams, I think), but hasn't skated in about 3 years. He said he is alright with playing any position. I would imagine he will be somewhere around John skill-wise when he gets going again.
Husky1
1st Line

Unread post 09 Jan 2006, 11:40

Old School 10 (or so)

Us 1

Well, I guess that's what happens when you lose arguably your top 4 players and play a team that appeared to have added even a little more talent. Time of possesion in the offensive zone was something like 47 minutes for them and 4 for us. I'm surprised it didn't get dirty at the end of the game.

Part of the problem (besides losing all those guys) was just that we had way too many guys who hadn't skated in a while. That said on our best day I don't think we'll be beating old school. I had fun though.

The first thing my buddy said after the game was that they should do tryouts for D league. I wish they would do that, but it'll never happen. It would fracture our team a bit but it would allow some of us to get better against equal competition.

How'd the Rubes do? I heard that our former ringers are now in your division, along with the mighty Mud Hens. Hope you guys can pull a few upsets and take it.
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 09 Jan 2006, 12:02

man i got hammered...i let in some easy goals...see the problem with out team is im not very good, while the other team, is....i think that old school is prolly the best team we will play...they dont have a weak skater on that, while we have prolly 5-6 legitimate D leaguers
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey
pjoyn
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 09 Jan 2006, 18:07

Rubes got beat 4-2(one empty netter). Metro Gophers were pretty good. On par with us. We had 4 posts hit and their goalie came up with some good saves. I think 2 of the 3 goals were odd-man rushes on Doug because our D pinched.

I swear, Pilar has to be the dumbest person I know. When we signed up for D league, I requested to not have any other teams in our league with Red jerseys. Metro Gophers last night had maroon Gopher jerseys, can't be helped. But the Decapitators have Red league jerseys. What the crap. On top of that, the refs did not make one of our teams put on the pull overs.

I agree with you on the tryouts for D league. it amazes me that your former ringers, can in good conscience play in a D league. I think their game with the MudHens was pretty close. Never saw the final. I think we(the Rubes) are an upper D team to a lower C team. Teams like the Bandits last session, Old School, Decapitators are bordering on decent C teams. I also thought Pilar was going to make teams that won D move up???? Didn't MudHens win their league?

Rant over.
HockeyBum
1st Line

Unread post 09 Jan 2006, 19:19

The Metro Gophers would do well in a "C" division too. They were good. Another thing about that team, we'll never have to worry about them forfeiting due to a lack of players. Holy smokes... they must have had almost 20 players last night. They were solid, but we played them really close. We got caught standing around too much in the first period, and it cost us. I thought we had the better of the 2nd and 3rd periods, but that's the way it goes. I know we hit at least 3 pipes too. Oh well.

MudHens beat the DiCapitators 8-6. Both teams looked good. P4H, I think your best players from last session are now playing for the DiCapitators. The MudHens actually fell behind 4-0 but ended up coming back to win that one.

It looks like our division is pretty strong again this time. There will be no easy games against the Metro Gophers, MudHens and DiCapitators. Hopefully the other two teams aren't as strong. :-/
Husky1
1st Line

Unread post 09 Jan 2006, 20:40

pjoyn wrote: Rubes got beat 4-2(one empty netter).  Metro Gophers were pretty good.  On par with us.  We had 4 posts hit and their goalie came up with some good saves.  I think 2 of the 3 goals were odd-man rushes on Doug because our D pinched.  

I swear, Pilar has to be the dumbest person I know.  When we signed up for D league, I requested to not have any other teams in our league with Red jerseys.  Metro Gophers last night had maroon Gopher jerseys, can't be helped.  But the Decapitators have Red league jerseys.  What the crap.  On top of that, the refs did not make one of our teams put on the pull overs.  

I agree with you on the tryouts for D league.  it amazes me that your former ringers, can in good conscience play in a D league.  I think their game with the MudHens was pretty close.  Never saw the final.  I think we(the Rubes) are an upper D team to a lower C team.  Teams like the Bandits last session, Old School, Decapitators are bordering on decent C teams.  I also thought Pilar was going to make teams that won D move up????  Didn't MudHens win their league?

Rant over.

Sounds like another case of Pilar struggling to handle a relatively simple request. Seems to me she might need a little more help, especially with the number of teams playing now.

You guys got quite the draw as far as divisions go. You're right that our former ringers shouldn't be in D. The fact that with them we took 6th or so last session says a lot about how deep some teams are. The MudHens not only won the league last session, they won it by a score of 8-1 over the Bandits. If that doesn't prove they need to be moved up I don't know what does.

All I'm asking for is a chance to play against teams that are at our level. Old School in it's current form is WAY above us skill-wise. Tryouts seem necessary to me but the $$$ that would require would probably keep Pilar from ever doing it.

Nick, don't worry about last night. They were shelling you the whole game. I thought you made a few real nice saves. That game was everyone's fault.