Stickmen Vs. Mud Hens

Set-up ice times with board members, discuss leagues, talk smack, etc.
Husky1
1st Line

Unread post 06 Nov 2005, 20:48

Should be a classic tonight. We will definitely need all of our guys to show up. The Mud Hens have been on fire. They are the classic example of a so-so team that got a whole lot better with the addition of a few recruits.

How did the Rubes do last night? Was it the flushers you played, and if so were their ringers out in full force?

Also, just in case anyone is interested I have two tickets to the Wild-Phoenix game Tuesday night for sale. 15 bucks a piece. They are actual seats in the upper deck behind one of the goals. I'll bring them to the game tonight. Let me know if you are interested.
HockeyBum
1st Line

Unread post 06 Nov 2005, 21:02

Husky1 wrote: How did the Rubes do last night? Was it the flushers you played, and if so were their ringers out in full force?

Won 7-2. They only had the bare minimum of skaters though (5). The 5 skaters and one goalie (Centennial Guy) were pretty good though. If they had a full team there it would have been a much closer game.

Good luck against the MudHens. From looking at the results posted at the rink, they've been destroying almost everyone.
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Nov 2005, 10:46

this league is a **** joke, thats pretty much all i have to say
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey
HockeyBum
1st Line

Unread post 07 Nov 2005, 19:28

Peters_4_Hobey wrote: this league is a **** joke, thats pretty much all i have to say

That bad, eh? What was the score?
Husky1
1st Line

Unread post 07 Nov 2005, 20:08

HockeyBum wrote:

That bad, eh?  What was the score?

I believe the score was 10-7. Considering the fact that we were down 6-0 about 7 minutes in we did ok. Those guys started out on fire to say the least. Their best players are pretty unstoppable. They only had 7 people though and when they started to tire a bit we really took it to them. They probably let up a bit initially but I really think we took it to them the last period and a half or so.

Nick Buche got thrown out about 3 or 4 minutes in for complaining to the ref about the other team's players. I can't say that I blame him. It gets frustrating when you play in a league as poorly policed talent-wise as this league is. Especially when you are just trying to learn.

I guess our best hope is we will be placed in the other division so we can walk all over the bad teams. :)
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Nov 2005, 20:38

i sent an email to pilar last night, not whining or ***** but just saying how it is, i think out of all the team we actuall y have the most true D league players, we can put out a whole line of 5 who all belong in D league, i dont think ive seen that from any other team, and the closest team would prolly be the pubes who are about even...i told her how i dont expect her to start booting players out but maybe move a team or two up...a team like the mudhens average 12 goals a game, thats rediculous...then i asked her if she knew of any other leagues where maybe my team would be better fit, so maybe hearing that teams want to go elsewhere cuz the league isnt how it should be will wake her up...

for the record, i wasnt super happy hearing all the **** being said in the locker room about nick...some were talking more then others and shouldnt be allowed to say **** because they have been kicked out more times then nick has...he was frustrated and like i said in the locker room whose better to take it out on, teamates? the other team? the refs are the best option, so maybe they can tell pilar how BS it is...nick was yellin how these guys shouldnt be in D and the ref said he knows and to tell pilar cuz he cant do anything about it..
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey
Saint
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 07 Nov 2005, 22:21

I am feeling more and more like I don't belong out there against the guys we are playing. I feel like I am just fine on defense in "D" league, but lately I have been getting schooled and I don't see it getting any better. The teams we are playing have lines that pass all over the place, skate all around and through our guys, and place their shots perfectly. I don't think these teams really fit what D league teams are. I thought this league was for guys with little experience, these teams look like they have been playing for years. While I think our team has our share of players that don't belong, I think we actually do have the most players who do. I would like to see the league policed a little more for ringers throughout. If this is D league than make it like it was the first few sessions I played a year or two back.

As for last night, I figured the best place I could help the team is to not be out there at all. That team was killing me and I get sick of being out there when I know I am totally outclassed. I know the refs weren't the best to take it out on, but at that time it was. I don't even know who Pilar is and I don't really care. I just wanted to let anyone associated with the league hear it and hopefully it would get back to her. I am not the first to say something and I am not the first to get booted from a game.

This game sucked, I sucked, and the other team sucked.

thanks! ;D
pjoyn
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Nov 2005, 00:54

Nick - I completely understand your frustration. In the two years we have been playing in this league, I have been on both ends of the spectrum when it comes to teams with skill level. I think the biggest problem is the policing of the teams.

The refs say they can't do anything, but they will boot someone out of a game for being too young. What about too good. Now the problem comes in, how do you prove it? There are players in D where they have never skated before(A4Effort our first session), there are people who have skated, but never played organized hockey(people like you and I), there are people who are very good "rink" players, but never played at the high school level(RinkRat from POI comes to mind), there are players who have high school experience, but may be 30-40 yrs old and have not played in years(Dehmer on Stickmen and Rubes), then there are the people who just flat out don't belong.

I was at open hockey at Superrink on Friday night and was BSing with a kid I recognized from the league. He said he plays on Green Mill Ale Stars and he plays on a B league team. Now that is against the rules because you can only skate one up or one down. I believer this is one of the kids that plays D, but never shoots.

The other problem is, as you know from your softball teams, when you play together for a long time, you get used to each other and playing becomes easier. Now, a team like Mudhens, which I believe played in C league and then dropped down, are head and shoulders above everyone. A team like the Bandits are all old guys, but I would be willing to bet that some of them have high school experience. You also have teams that have ringer goalies. There are no rules regarding them. I would be willing to bet that Nick has probably the least amount of experience, compared to the rest of the D league goalies, but he busts his ass and has played very well in his time in the league.

I don't know what Pilar can do. I think the best thing to do is ask her to scout the games early on and see what players from teams stand out too much. I also think that refs should check IDs before the game. This would cut down on ringers being brought in midway through the season. They could also check all of the rosters against the other league rosters to see if there are any crossover players. The problem is, with all of this effort comes a higher cost. I think we all want the league to be fun. I would love to have an entire league of teams like the Stickmen and Rubes where we know each other a little and give each other a hard time and don't get too pissy with one another.......
HockeyBum
1st Line

Unread post 08 Nov 2005, 00:54

I've actually been reasonably happy with the competitiveness of our games so far. Not counting the 2 games that we played against Green Mill and the Flushers (both of whom only had the minimum number of skaters when we played them), all of the Rubes games have been pretty close.

The only problem I have with the system is that there is no true "Beginner" league anymore. That used to be what the D League was for, but over the last year it's become a home for lower-level C teams that want to be more competitive. I don't know if this would solve the problem or just shift it elsewhere, but I'd like to see C league split into upper and lower divisions, and leave D league for the true beginners. To make sure teams don't abuse the system, the champion and runner-up in each division should be forced to move up a level for the next session. They would then be eligible to move back down if they have a sub-.500 record the following session.
Saint
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 08 Nov 2005, 01:41

HockeyBum wrote: ..............but I'd like to see C league split into upper and lower divisions, and leave D league for the true beginners.  To make sure teams don't abuse the system, the champion and runner-up in each division should be forced to move up a level for the next session.  They would then be eligible to move back down if they have a sub-.500 record the following session.  

I like these ideas.
HockeyBum
1st Line

Unread post 16 Nov 2005, 23:38

Did you ever get a response back from Pilar? A few of our guys talked about sending e-mails to her after the Rubes were on the receiving end of bad officiating Monday night. I pretty much told them not to waste their time because Pilar doesn't care and can't/won't do anything about it.

Rubes lost 3-2 to the Bandits. There was only one referee (a bad one at that). Three times he blew a quick whistle when their goalie didn't have the puck covered, and he didn't call what we all thought was an icing with 15 seconds left that should have given us a penalty shot.
Husky1
1st Line

Unread post 17 Nov 2005, 05:15

HockeyBum wrote: Did you ever get a response back from Pilar? A few of our guys talked about sending e-mails to her after the Rubes were on the receiving end of bad officiating Monday night. I pretty much told them not to waste their time because Pilar doesn't care and can't/won't do anything about it.

Rubes lost 3-2 to the Bandits. There was only one referee (a bad one at that). Three times he blew a quick whistle when their goalie didn't have the puck covered, and he didn't call what we all thought was an icing with 15 seconds left that should have given us a penalty shot.

I believe Tracy posted a response he got from Pilar in the return of the jackalopes thread. It was all about placing teams next season though. As far as officiating is concerned I don't think she cares.

The officiating is so wildly inconsistent it's ridiculous. The game against the flushers will always be the foremost example in my mind of what bad officiating can do. We'll see how they ref our 2nd encounter with them on Monday. That one could get REAL ugly.

Sometimes I think Pilar is overmatched in her position. She can promise things all she wants but nothing has changed in the 3 years or so we've been in the league. She seems satisfied with simply keeping the status quo. The only way to overcome the deficiencies in the league it seems is to get so many ringers that no amount of incompetent officiating can stop you.

Sorry to hear about your loss. It'll be interesting to see how the playoff schedule shakes out. Unfortunately there appears to be a large number of late games. :-/
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread post 17 Nov 2005, 22:23

id like to just say **** this league, but unfortunately, theres no other options...im hopeing the flushers have thier normal team back that they started out with and not the **** ***** ass team they had when we played them...

no i never got a response
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey