Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

Stickmen vs. Flushers

Stickmen vs. Flushers

Set-up ice times with board members, discuss leagues, talk smack, etc.

Stickmen vs. Flushers

Unread postby Husky1 » 16 Oct 2005, 19:40

10 pm this evening on the Blaine rink. Should be one of the few weeks where we don't need to bring our "A" game to win, at least based on what I saw of the flushers last week. Who knows though, they may have been minus some ringers. I recognized their goalie as the guy who played for UShockey.com, so if it's that team then I like our chances.

I saw that the Rubes won 7-0 against the Ale Stars. How did that happen? You guys must have played extremely well, or else the Ale Stars were minus a few guys. In either case nice job and congrats on the shutout, Doug!
Husky1
1st Line

Stickmen vs. Flushers

Unread postby pjoyn » 16 Oct 2005, 19:45

They were actually short a lot of players. Only 4 of their regular guys showed up. They had to pull 2 other guys to have enough to play.
pjoyn
Hobey Baker Finalist

Stickmen vs. Flushers

Unread postby HockeyBum » 16 Oct 2005, 20:23

Husky1 wrote: I saw that the Rubes won 7-0 against the Ale Stars. How did that happen? You guys must have played extremely well, or else the Ale Stars were minus a few guys. In either case nice job and congrats on the shutout, Doug!

As much as I'd like to take credit for the shutout, the reality is that Green Mill only had 6 skaters (just 4 from their actual team), and even then they were about 20 minutes late getting on the ice. We played 2 periods of hockey, in which time I had about 5 shots on me. Pretty lame. I would have rather just taken the forfeit and gone home early.

From what I saw from the standings/results, the Flushers are the only team that hasn't been competitive. You guys should have a relatively easy time of it tonight.
HockeyBum
1st Line

Stickmen vs. Flushers

Unread postby Husky1 » 17 Oct 2005, 11:20

Flushers 7

Stickmen 1

No, that's not a misprint. Tonight embodied EVERYTHING that is wrong with the D league. The flushers struggle all year, so suddenly when they play us they have a defense that consisted entirely of ringers and a new goalie to boot. Of their 10 or however many guys I don't even think half of them were wearing the Flushers normal jerseys. One of the D-men was wearing what looked like a Minnesota Selects jersey. One of their other additions was the asian guy in the yellow sweatpants who has seemingly played for every team but ours.

That's not to say we didn't play like ass, because we did. The problem was we would get the puck and get stoned and they would give it to one of their ringers and he would walk everyone on our team and score. I recognized their new goalie from A4Efforts first session. He had on a Centennial jersey and was REALLY good. I remember him stonewalling the likes of Los Guevones our first session.

To make matters worse, they were incredibly cheap. One of their ringers was the guy with the pink sock from BG Albatross that Murph fought. He hacked everything in sight and then skated away. Their number 22 cross-checked Shorty's buddy from behind and then somehow Shorty's buddy got tossed. Chris and Greg were also thrown out. These guys were flat out throwing checks for no reason.

As if that wasn't enough, the ref was a complete piece of ****. I've never seen him ref our games before, and I hope he never does again. He wouldn't call anything in the beginning, which is what caused the game to get out of hand. He even went as far as to talk **** to Nick at the end of the game. I realize some of our guys got out of hand but that guy should not be allowed on the ice again. That was embarassing.

In conclusion, that was the least amount of fun I have ever had in this league, and that includes our game against the Dueces. Pilar, if you are somehow reading this, you better get this straightened out, or otherwise someones going to pay. I tell you one thing, our rematch with the Flushers should be fun. I know Shorty has another buddy with a mean streak ready to sub. Nick, bring out every ringer you can scrounge up, because if we don't win when we play them again I want their players hauled off the ice on a god damn stretcher.

Ok, so I didn't mean all of that, but it felt good to vent. :) I am every bit as pissed off as it sounded, though. That game made me want to play in a new league.
Husky1
1st Line

Stickmen vs. Flushers

Unread postby Peters_4_Hobey » 18 Oct 2005, 04:52

it was pathetic, i played like it was my first **** game ever...it was rediculous...not to say that they didnt have oppertunities, cuz they did, they had a lot of open shots on me, but i stoped zero of them...i was pathetic...that goalie was at LEAST a B league goalie, and the one asian guy shorty was fighting with left mid game to go play in another game...they were taking slap shots and not getting called, its not like im affraid of a slap shot, but you cant take them so i dont expect them, so i said to the **** ref, are you going to **** call anything all **** game, and he says you think its my fault its 7-1, so i said no im playing like **** but this is **** rediculous, its not fun...then he skated off laughing like it was a joke...which the whole game was...this was the first game ive actually went to pilar to complain about something, i said to her look, i usually dont complain about the talent of other teams because every team in D league has players that do not belong in D league, and we arent excluded either, but its rediculous to show up and not have a chance cuz the goalie plays for the **** avalanche and they have 3 people on their team who play for 6 other teams above d league...i couldnt even imagine if we didnt have players who shoudlnt be in d league, id honestly ask for my money back...but i told her how **** the ref is, she said he is new and appreciates the feed back
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Stickmen vs. Flushers

Unread postby HockeyBum » 18 Oct 2005, 19:29

Suddenly our Nov. 6th game against the Flushers just got a whole lot more interesting. Back-to-back games against Old School & Flushers should make for some good hockey. Hopefully we'll be able to keep our cool, since both of these teams have a reputation for dirty play.

No game this week. I hate bye weeks. >:(
HockeyBum
1st Line

Stickmen vs. Flushers

Unread postby Peters_4_Hobey » 20 Oct 2005, 02:57

maybe youll get lucky and they will have thier normal team...in one game they doubled plus one the amopunt of goals they got all year...hmmmm
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Stickmen vs. Flushers

Unread postby HockeyBum » 23 Oct 2005, 02:34

I might come watch the Stickmen game tonight. I have a feeling Carl will net the hat trick, and I don't want to miss it.

Good luck against the Bandits. They're a pretty decent team.
HockeyBum
1st Line

Stickmen vs. Flushers

Unread postby Husky1 » 23 Oct 2005, 04:18

HockeyBum wrote: I might come watch the Stickmen game tonight. I have a feeling Carl will net the hat trick, and I don't want to miss it.

Good luck against the Bandits. They're a pretty decent team.

I hope you're right. Then again, that's what I thought last week until I saw how much the Flushers had "re-tooled". :o
Husky1
1st Line

Stickmen vs. Flushers

Unread postby HockeyBum » 23 Oct 2005, 04:52

Husky1 wrote: I hope you're right. Then again, that's what I thought last week until I saw how much the Flushers had "re-tooled". :o

Actually, I might come a little earlier to watch a bit of the Old School/Green Mill game at 7:40 to see how good those teams are. We played Green Mill last week, but only 4 of their regular guys showed up. We play Old School next week. Yeah... I'm bored tonight. :)

Good luck tonight guys. I'll throw my gear in the car just in case you need an emergency sub.
HockeyBum
1st Line

Stickmen vs. Flushers

Unread postby HockeyBum » 23 Oct 2005, 09:13

Good game tonight, Nick. You made some big saves. I thought the Stickmen carried play for the most part. The Bandits goalie was really good and they also had some luck on their side (2 pipes and a saved goal by one of their defensemen), and that was the difference.

I can't figure your team out. I think player for player, you have more talent than anyone in the league (I counted 7 guys on your team that could probably play C league). Sometimes it seems that you guys just hold on to the puck too long and have too many players that don't pass the puck enough.

EDIT: Green Mill beat Old School 4-3 on the other rink. Green Mill only had 8 guys and Old School had a full bench. Both teams looked very average.
HockeyBum
1st Line

Stickmen vs. Flushers

Unread postby Husky1 » 23 Oct 2005, 09:22

HockeyBum wrote: Good game tonight, Nick. You made some big saves. I thought the Stickmen carried play for the most part. The Bandits goalie was really good and they also had some luck on their side (2 pipes and a saved goal by one of their defensemen), and that was the difference.

I can't figure your team out. I think player for player, you have more talent than anyone in the league (I counted 7 guys on your team that could probably play C league). Sometimes it seems that you guys just hold on to the puck too long and have too many players that don't pass the puck enough.

I think you hit the nail on the head with our team, Doug. We do have players who tend to try and go coast to coast every time. Of course, if their alternative is passing to me I don't blame them.

Sometimes I wish I would find a magic pill that would make me a good hockey player. I feel like I'm just skating around watching everyone else play. I touch the puck for about 5 seconds in every game. Honestly I think I am skating ten times better than in the beginning but it doesn't matter because I still am rarely part of the play. It doesn't help that the league keeps getting better and better. I still enjoy myself for the most part but it's frustrating.

Maybe someday we will play a true D league team again and I can handle the puck a little bit. At the very least this winter I need to find a rink and just skate around with a puck, because I'm never going to get any better if I just play games.

Anyway, thanks for the support Doug. Hopefully I will be able to root you guys on next week before our game. Nick, you were awesome today. Keep up the good work.
Husky1
1st Line

Stickmen vs. Flushers

Unread postby HockeyBum » 30 Oct 2005, 22:41

Nice comeback last night Stickmen. You guys scored some nice goals. Unfortunately the Rubes didn't have the same result. Old School was just the better team last night. That's the way it goes sometimes.
HockeyBum
1st Line

Stickmen vs. Flushers

Unread postby Peters_4_Hobey » 31 Oct 2005, 00:37

i agree with carl...id really like to get into a league where there is a true d level...and id like to make my team back to a d level...the goalies we face are so much better then i am, on every team...they shouldnt be in the d league...what fun is it if you cant rip a goal...last night was the most goals we have prolly scored all year...and 2 of them were total junk/luck goals...im really not a fan of this superrink league anymore, its out of controll...i really enjoy playing with everyone on my team but im the first to admit some of them have zero reason for playing d league...besides the fact that d league isnt really d league...i know some people can skate c or b but want to play d cuz its just less competitive as in you dont have to take it so serious, and thats fine, i understand, i just dont know how it should be handled , but i know pilar really should do somethign about it...have it be expanding the c league or adding an E level...i know others feel this way too, so if anyone has any ideas ill go ahead and talk to her...
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Stickmen vs. Flushers

Unread postby pjoyn » 31 Oct 2005, 00:47

Doug and I were talking about that last night during your game. There are a lot of hot goalies in D league now. The problem is there are no restrictions on Goalies, from what I know. Skaters are the only ones that have restrictions. What is the point having rules of no varsity play, junior play, etc. if you are not going to enforce it. I think she should put it on the refs to .A) check IDs before each game. I don't think that is unreasonable. That way you are stuck with the players you put on your roster. B) Have them keep notes of players that just seem to stand out. The problem there is there are people out there who have never played organized hockey and are just great "pond" type players.

I know during our game last night, Old School had a couple of ringers. One kid looked barely old enough to be off the tit. With the cost of the league going up, and only having one ref half of the games we play, I don't think it too much to expect a little policing of the teams.
pjoyn
Hobey Baker Finalist

Return to Ice Times