Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

Week 7

Week 7

Set-up ice times with board members, discuss leagues, talk smack, etc.

Week 7

Unread postby Husky1 » 20 Feb 2005, 10:58

Generals 3

Stickmen 2

Probably the worst officiated game i've ever witnessed/been a part of. We must've been whistled for at least a dozen penalties. Once our bench lost it's cool then the refs started calling misconducts on us left and right. There were also 2 penalty shots. The first was given to us after the Generals iced it inside 2 minutes, and we scored to tie it. Then, after the Generals were roughing our players without penalty Chris gets called for something which apparently means an automatic penalty shot. The Generals then scored.

I would like to see the rules again, because I recall in our game against the Snowmen the same ref called a penalty on the Snowmen with 1:30 or so left, and we did not receive a penalty shot. So, he obviously screwed up in one of the games. Frankly if we never see that guy again i'd be a happy man.

That said we have to do a better job of keeping our composure. We had at least 3 or 4 penalties called on us for unsportsmanlike conduct. We have to do a better job of blocking the refs out, because they aren't going anywhere and they sure as hell aren't getting any better.

On a happier note, I scored a goal tonight. Sure, it went in off my back, but that's neither here nor there.

:D

Good luck the next two weeks guys. Ill try to keep tabs on how things go from Connecticut. Please make sure to post the scores if you can.
Husky1
1st Line

Week 7

Unread postby Peters_4_Hobey » 20 Feb 2005, 11:21

there was no doubt over 10 penalties on us, but with that said, they only got one power play goal...

their goalie showed up and make alot of nice saves, but the gamepuck goes to carl for his unbelievable off the back goal.

it was a **** chippy diving game. i had fun though, i thought i played pretty solid
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Week 7

Unread postby HockeyBum » 20 Feb 2005, 19:33

I can't figure you guys out. You looked absolutely unbeatable last week, and this week you lose to the Generals? Did people not show up again? Granted, the Generals have a really good goalie, but still... I've seen both teams play, and you guys are definitely the better team.

I'm no apologist for the officiating in this league, but some guys on your team are just too high-strung and intense for the D League atmosphere. Even when you were ahead by 6 goals last week, I heard cussing & complaining toward the refs coming from your bench. Some of your guys also celebrate goals like it's the Stanley Cup Finals. Like it or not, the refs in this league let things like that influence their judgement. You have to talk to your guys about keeping their composure and you'll be alright.

Rubes vs. Shame On Ice tonight. We'll be missing one of our defenseman and probably our goalie too... so we'll probably have a seive (read: me) in nets tonight. The Jackalopes play right after us, so I may stick around for that one too.
HockeyBum
1st Line

Week 7

Unread postby Husky1 » 20 Feb 2005, 20:34

HockeyBum wrote: I can't figure you guys out.  You looked absolutely unbeatable last week, and this week you lose to the Generals?  Did people not show up again?  Granted, the Generals have a really good goalie, but still... I've seen both teams play, and you guys are definitely the better team.

I'm no apologist for the officiating in this league, but some guys on your team are just too high-strung and intense for the D League atmosphere.  Even when you were ahead by 6 goals last week, I heard cussing & complaining toward the refs coming from your bench.  Some of your guys also celebrate goals like it's the Stanley Cup Finals.  Like it or not, the refs in this league let things like that influence their judgement.  You have to talk to your guys about keeping their composure and you'll be alright.  

Rubes vs. Shame On Ice tonight.  We'll be missing one of our  defenseman and probably our goalie too... so we'll probably have a seive (read: me) in nets tonight.  The Jackalopes play right after us, so I may stick around for that one too.      

Everyone was there last night except Greg, but the bigger issue with us losing was we spent about as much time killing 5 on 3's as we did playing 5 on 5. A slight exaggeration, perhaps, but unfortunately pretty close to the truth. You are right, we are definitely the better team. We just were all over the place and far too many guys lost their cool.

I also agree about the composure thing. As I mentioned in my first post we have to do a better job of serving our penalty and moving on. We had at least 6 guys yelling at the refs for most of the 2nd half of the game. I really like everyone on the team but some of us need to settle down a little bit. That said, I do think that a lot of the guys had legitimate arguments. Matt was the victim of a horrible misconduct call. John was getting absolutely mugged in the last minute and they wouldn't call anything, yet Chris got called for holding or something like that and ultimately was thrown out.

Hopefully we can pull it together and make a run. The nice thing is everyone makes the playoffs and I still believe that we can win it all if we focus and work hard. As long as pucks keep going in off of my back, head, genitals, etc. we should be fine. :)
Husky1
1st Line

Week 7

Unread postby Peters_4_Hobey » 20 Feb 2005, 22:16

sniper, didnt you get a penelty as well and almost start another fight :D

all agree with some people need to settle down, but like carl said too, most the calls were pretty BS...travis obviously is always one who always yells at complains at the refs cuz he is so high strung and full of energy, i like how he is out there, just wish he would settle down with the refs alittle.
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Week 7

Unread postby Husky1 » 20 Feb 2005, 22:48

Peters_4_Hobey wrote: sniper, didnt you get a penelty as well and almost start another fight  :D

That's true.  :o The guy checked me from behind into his goalie and then started yelling at me for hitting his goalie. I turned around and chopped his legs out from under him with my arm. We shoved each other a couple times but cooler heads prevailed. I apologized to the goalie anyway later in the game, since I ended up going skate blade first into him.

The thing that sucks is now we probably won't be able to discuss any calls with those guys without getting penalties. It's one thing to be upset and argue, but if all they hear is a barrage of F-bombs coming from our bench then we won't get many calls. The reffing was brutal last night but we are good enough to get thru that if we keep our composure.

BTW Nick, you played very well last night.  :D
Husky1
1st Line

Week 7

Unread postby HockeyBum » 20 Feb 2005, 23:20

Sounds like quite a game for Sniper last night. A goal and a scrap. That's a good job outta you. :D

I'd have to say that out of the teams we've played so far the Generals have probably been the biggest hacks, so I can kind of understand how things got out of control for you guys last night. On the other hand, a few of our games (against the Freeze & Wolves) have been so clean that I almost forgot this was D League.
HockeyBum
1st Line

Week 7

Unread postby Jupiter » 21 Feb 2005, 01:40

Here is the 2 Minute rule....

c. If a team (in the lead or tied) should ice the puck or receive a penalty when the score is within two (2) goals or less, and there is less than 2 minutes remaining in the game, the non-offending team shall be awarded a penalty shot. This rule applies until the score clock reads 0:00. After the penalty shot has been completed, play shall resume with the clock set to the time at which the penalty shot was taken.

I think all of the Refs know the icetime rule, but only some of then know the penalty rule. The penalty rule came in to effect last spring session, but no one knew about it until the summer session. I think some refs still don't know about it.
Jupiter
3rd Line

Week 7

Unread postby Peters_4_Hobey » 21 Feb 2005, 04:30

i think the way the game was flowing last night in the minutes in between the penelties it was a pretty good flowing game, everyone on our team skated the hell out of themselves, i know chris did and i know travis did as well as everyone else but those two stuck out in my head, and i think that was part of it, they were going 200 mph and giving it 110% they were getting called for alot of ****
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Week 7

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 21 Feb 2005, 23:30

Jacks were crushed 7-0 due mostly to lack of team chemistry. Thanks to the Rube players who helped out. If we ever got all of our team to show up and play together a couple of times, we might eventually get something going.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Week 7

Unread postby HockeyBum » 22 Feb 2005, 00:10

The Rubes edged a tough Shame On Ice team 3-2 last night.  We struggled a bit offensively, and we had to survive a penalty shot w/ 30 seconds left, but managed to pull it out.  

Hopefully we'll have a full roster next Sunday against the Icedogs.  They're 6-0 too, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.
HockeyBum
1st Line

Week 7

Unread postby pjoyn » 22 Feb 2005, 00:20

I know I will be there. Sorry for bailing so late on ya last night Doug. Sounds like you had a stellar game as usual. Was it an icing that led to the penalty shot?
pjoyn
Hobey Baker Finalist

Week 7

Unread postby HockeyBum » 22 Feb 2005, 00:32

pjoyn wrote: I know I will be there.  Sorry for bailing so late on ya last night Doug.  Sounds like you had a stellar game as usual.  Was it an icing that led to the penalty shot?

No, it was an actual penalty (a pretty weak call, but a penalty nonetheless). Apparently any penalty in the last 2 minutes of a one goal game is an automatic penalty shot.

Hope to see you back on Sunday. I hope JB will be back too. As much as I like playing goalie, we're probably a better team with him in net.
HockeyBum
1st Line

Week 7

Unread postby Peters_4_Hobey » 22 Feb 2005, 07:27

thats what we were talking about above, chris got a slashing with like 30 seconds left as well....i bet my team wished we had a goialie who coulda stopped it lol
Will_Hammer_4_Hobey
Peters_4_Hobey
Hobey Baker Finalist

Week 7

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 22 Feb 2005, 22:31

Doug is being modest. His save was spectacular.

I'll be there to watch your game on Sunday too. Good Luck!
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Next

Return to Ice Times