Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Belly up to the bar and socialize with other SCSU fans while you drink a cold one. No topic is off-topic.

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby gohuskies » 18 Oct 2011, 07:59

In the wake of recent increased censorship/editting activity by the board administrators, and with the current development and potential migration to a new board, I thought it might be a good idea to solicit current board users opinions on the level of administrative censorship they would like to see the new board utilize. I am all for any boards administrators attempts to maintain a boards civility, but I am not sure I am for a single administrators ability to censor/edit a users posts. I might prefer locking a certain thread until a panel of admins view and agree to censor it or leave it be. In my opinion, verbal threats should NEVER be tolerated, and should be addressed immediately, but personal comments are often viewed differently and less offensively by multiple sources.



The board has gotten extemely contentious lately, and that isn't a good thing, but trying to turn it into the printed version of the "Good News Daily" is going to cause people to lose any interest they have in it. I might suggest a temporary suspension of a users rights if the boards admin's feel things are getting out of control. But, again, I think it should be handled by multiple admins.



Just my 2 cents, and I hope the current admins can see it as an attempt to restore the boards level of usage, as it appears to me like participation has dropped.
User avatar
gohuskies
2nd Line
 
Posts: 462
Joined: 31 Dec 2008, 16:46

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 18 Oct 2011, 08:24

Actually, participation is quite high. We'll install some board rules when we get a chance. In the meantime, I'd suggest that everybody stop thinking about their posts as Holy Gospel. They're just message board posts for Christ's sake. If your post is so special, you'll remember it. After careful consideration, if you still think it's THAT important to share, repost it. I'm guessing that in most cases, after careful consideration, people won't think their posts were all that important.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
User avatar
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 4220
Joined: 20 Jan 2003, 22:21

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby Skeeterman » 18 Oct 2011, 08:47

The_Exiled_One wrote: Actually, participation is quite high.  We'll install some board rules when we get a chance.  In the meantime, I'd suggest that everybody stop thinking about their posts as Holy Gospel.  They're just message board posts for Christ's sake.  If your post is so special, you'll remember it.  After careful consideration, if you still think it's THAT important to share, repost it.  I'm guessing that in most cases, after careful consideration, people won't think their posts were all that important.

Is this a personal attack on me? I believe all my posts are extremely important in the promotion of iananeness, inanamous, inanity, etc.
User avatar
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 2460
Joined: 19 Jan 2003, 20:44

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby DirtyBottles » 18 Oct 2011, 08:57

This is going to blunt and it's not meant as an attack on you GoHuskies or anyone for that matter...



It's not truly censorship. The owners of this board have a right to control content as they see fit - it's their board. You don't like it, then you are free to go start your own board.



What the owners of this board or any board for that matter have to decide is what type of environment do they want to foster.



My experience is posters will adjust to the standards set by the mods, BUT the mods have a responsibility to lay out the rules in a clear fashion so everyone knows the rules of the game. Based on T_E_O's post this is on the way.




Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work - Thomas Edison.

Today I will do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't - unknown
User avatar
DirtyBottles
3rd Line
 
Posts: 151
Joined: 11 Jul 2011, 12:31

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby gohuskies » 18 Oct 2011, 09:02

DirtyBottles wrote: This is going to blunt and it's not meant as an attack on you GoHuskies or anyone for that matter...



It's not truly censorship.  The owners of this board have a right to control content as they see fit - it's their board.   You don't like it, then you are free to go start your own board.  



What the owners of this board or any board for that matter have to decide is what type of environment do they want to foster.  



My experience is posters will adjust to the standards set by the mods, BUT the mods have a responsibility to lay out the rules in a clear fashion so everyone knows the rules of the game.  Based on T_E_O's post this is on the way.






Didn't view it as an attack at all....and I wish so much stuff wasn't viewed as an attack on here but maybe more as over-zealous ranting. But, I still think that the value and openness of the board is enhanced by more than a single authority.
User avatar
gohuskies
2nd Line
 
Posts: 462
Joined: 31 Dec 2008, 16:46

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby motox » 18 Oct 2011, 09:23

gohuskies wrote: In the wake of recent increased censorship/editting activity by the board administrators, and with the current development and potential migration to a new board, I thought it might be a good idea to solicit current board users opinions on the level of administrative censorship they would like to see the new board utilize. I am all for any boards administrators attempts to maintain a boards civility, but I am not sure I am for a single administrators ability to censor/edit a users posts. I might prefer locking a certain thread until a panel of admins view and agree to censor it or leave it be. In my opinion, verbal threats should NEVER be tolerated, and should be addressed immediately, but personal comments are often viewed differently and less offensively by multiple sources.



The board has gotten extemely contentious lately, and that isn't a good thing, but trying to turn it into the printed version of the "Good News Daily" is going to cause people to lose any interest they have in it. I might suggest a temporary suspension of a users rights if the boards admin's feel things are getting out of control. But, again, I think it should be handled by multiple admins.



Just my 2 cents, and I hope the current admins can see it as an attempt to restore the boards level of usage, as it appears to me like participation has dropped.



Board activity has never been higher.  The bolded part of your post is not realistic.  Panel of admins?  Right now it's myself and TEO.  If either of us see personal comments made toward another poster or posters they will be deleted, no questions asked.  I'm not talking about disagreeing with someone else because if we banned that this board wouldn't exist considering our fanbase.  The purpose of this board is to discuss, agree, disagree, argue, etc about HOCKEY.  Not about people and their character.      



This is a signficant change considering in the past this board had zero enforcement of rules.  That was fine when it was a couple of college kids running the board for a few posters. Considering the growth of membership and activity on this site, as well as the direction we're going with the migration, that needed to change.  Trust me, I do NOT enjoy editing posts or removing what people say.  But I would hope that as adults everyone would realize a little bit of respect and candor will go a long way.



I enjoy reading Skeeterman's randomness, Rabid's passion, roadkings rants, Boomers recaps, I could go on and on.....but when anyone crosses the line and starts directing specific comments at other posters that will not be tolerated.  Use common sense.  The past is the past, there have been plenty of personal attacks and arguments, leave it there.  I am trying to be as consistent as possible when it comes to personal comments. Some people will agree while others disagree, understandable.  The entire goal is to get more people that are passionate about Husky hockey involved and hear their thoughts/opinions.



This is not a formal list of rules for the board by any means but more an explanation of where I'm coming from.  As TEO stated, we will post forum rules when we can create them and my original goal was to wait until we migrated so everyone can have a fresh start.  I am more than open to hearing opinions and will take them into consideration.  
User avatar
motox
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: 19 Oct 2003, 02:37

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby scsutommyboy » 18 Oct 2011, 11:56

Here are my .02...



The board has to watch how much they want to censor people or they will push them away from posting. Sure the board has grown, but for the most part it has been the same people on here since the begining of this website. the only rule I think that needs to be enforced is threating people. In no way is it ever ok to private message, e-mail or post on here a threat of physical violence towards anyone. If the board would actually enforce that all the problems would be solved.



Personally I think the name calling thing is over blown. This is a message board people and if you really care what some person on a message board thinks of you this probably is not the place for you. people need to grow some seeds and get over it.
User avatar
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 5121
Joined: 23 Jan 2003, 22:59

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby DirtyBottles » 18 Oct 2011, 12:25

@TB - I would make a couple counterpoints:



1) Maybe it's been the same ol' people on here because the level of discussion isn't particularly attractive to visitors? Like I said before, the posters will adjust to the mods rules. There is no reason folks can't learn to argue passionately without attacking personally - it's not really that tough.



2) I tend to agree - I have very thick skin and don't get worked up about that kind of stuff either but the larger point here is to create a board that is fun to visit and continues to grow. Folks may visit, but won't likely stick around if all they see is a flurry of personal attacks and name calling.




Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work - Thomas Edison.

Today I will do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't - unknown
User avatar
DirtyBottles
3rd Line
 
Posts: 151
Joined: 11 Jul 2011, 12:31

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby SCSUEuro » 18 Oct 2011, 15:31

DirtyBottles wrote: @TB - I would make a couple counterpoints:



1) Maybe it's been the same ol' people on here because the level of discussion isn't particularly attractive to visitors?   Like I said before, the posters will adjust to the mods rules.   There is no reason folks can't learn to argue passionately without attacking personally - it's not really that tough.



2)  I tend to agree - I have very thick skin and don't get worked up about that kind of stuff either but the larger point here is to create a board that is fun to visit and continues to grow.   Folks may visit, but won't likely stick around if all they see is a flurry of personal attacks and name calling.  








If that's the case they aren't likely to stick around regardless. People who think this is important, that there are scores to be settled, that people "win" or "lose" arguments on here shouldn't be on the boards any more than WCHA players should.



That being said, and I think I've mixed it up with people on here as much as most of the regulars, I don't have any issue with the admins doing what they've done so far, but I would not be calling for it either. Same thing that everyone else has said, people know what's fair and what's foul, and if you wanna make sure you don't have anything removed don't flirt with that line. I for one don't mean to offend anyone, but I realize that I at times can be crude and rough around the edges, and if that means something I say is taken off, that's fine with me.
User avatar
SCSUEuro
1st Line
 
Posts: 737
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 00:03

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby Skeeterman » 18 Oct 2011, 15:33

I'm okay with any rules, as long as I'm not expected to follow them.
User avatar
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 2460
Joined: 19 Jan 2003, 20:44

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby scsutommyboy » 18 Oct 2011, 15:58

DirtyBottles wrote: @TB - I would make a couple counterpoints:



1) Maybe it's been the same ol' people on here because the level of discussion isn't particularly attractive to visitors?   Like I said before, the posters will adjust to the mods rules.   There is no reason folks can't learn to argue passionately without attacking personally - it's not really that tough.



2)  I tend to agree - I have very thick skin and don't get worked up about that kind of stuff either but the larger point here is to create a board that is fun to visit and continues to grow.   Folks may visit, but won't likely stick around if all they see is a flurry of personal attacks and name calling.  








I would love to see more people post on here.  I think the in your face responses people get on here keep most people away. When I say that I am talking about the 99% of the time there is no name calling on any post, but certain posters on here are in your face on every little thing that is said if they don't agree.  



My example of this would be if five people have one opinion certain posters on here always feel the need to respond to everyone of those people over and over again and bog down the whole mesage board.  Admin seems to think this is a good thing and I disagree....The fact is it is their board so they can do what they want with it, but in my opinion that is why people stay away.
User avatar
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 5121
Joined: 23 Jan 2003, 22:59

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby motox » 18 Oct 2011, 16:31

scsutommyboy wrote: [quote author=DirtyBottles link=1318942757/0#7 date=1318958742]@TB - I would make a couple counterpoints:



1) Maybe it's been the same ol' people on here because the level of discussion isn't particularly attractive to visitors?   Like I said before, the posters will adjust to the mods rules.   There is no reason folks can't learn to argue passionately without attacking personally - it's not really that tough.



2)  I tend to agree - I have very thick skin and don't get worked up about that kind of stuff either but the larger point here is to create a board that is fun to visit and continues to grow.   Folks may visit, but won't likely stick around if all they see is a flurry of personal attacks and name calling.  








I would love to see more people post on here.  I think the in your face responses people get on here keep most people away. When I say that I am talking about the 99% of the time there is no name calling on any post, but certain posters on here are in your face on every little thing that is said if they don't agree.  



My example of this would be if five people have one opinion certain posters on here always feel the need to respond to everyone of those people over and over again and bog down the whole mesage board.  Admin seems to think this is a good thing and I disagree....The fact is it is their board so they can do what they want with it, but in my opinion that is why people stay away.[/quote]


TB, that really contradicts what you said earlier.  Earlier you stated the only censoring that should happen is when threatening comes into play. In this post I am taking this as you saying we should censor/ban posters just because they reply back and disagree with other posters regularly (or to an incessant degree.) That would be a pretty liberal definition of censorship in my mind.  Not sure where you got the impression I or anyone else thought this is a "good thing" because that is some of the exact type of behavior I am trying to discourage.  The back and forth rants typically happen because it turns personal, which is exactly what we have started to enforce as unacceptable and will continue to do so going forward.



By eliminating personal attacks/comments we may lose interest of a few posters, but I am okay with that and believe we would attract significantly more people who want to discuss and debate Husky hockey without reading through a personal flamefest every few posts.
User avatar
motox
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: 19 Oct 2003, 02:37

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby motox » 18 Oct 2011, 16:34

Skeeterman wrote: I'm okay with any rules, as long as I'm not expected to follow them.



A "Skeeterman only" clause is certainly being considered for the rules. :)
User avatar
motox
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: 19 Oct 2003, 02:37

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby Boomer » 18 Oct 2011, 18:00

motox wrote: [quote author=Skeeterman link=1318942757/0#9 date=1318970026]I'm okay with any rules, as long as I'm not expected to follow them.



A "Skeeterman only" clause is certainly being considered for the rules.   :)

[/quote]


I knew it would come to this eventually . . . . . . :-/
User avatar
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 1084
Joined: 16 Jan 2003, 10:41

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby scsutommyboy » 18 Oct 2011, 21:18

motox wrote: [quote author=scsutommyboy link=1318942757/0#10 date=1318971484][quote author=DirtyBottles link=1318942757/0#7 date=1318958742]@TB - I would make a couple counterpoints:



1) Maybe it's been the same ol' people on here because the level of discussion isn't particularly attractive to visitors?   Like I said before, the posters will adjust to the mods rules.   There is no reason folks can't learn to argue passionately without attacking personally - it's not really that tough.



2)  I tend to agree - I have very thick skin and don't get worked up about that kind of stuff either but the larger point here is to create a board that is fun to visit and continues to grow.   Folks may visit, but won't likely stick around if all they see is a flurry of personal attacks and name calling.  








I would love to see more people post on here.  I think the in your face responses people get on here keep most people away. When I say that I am talking about the 99% of the time there is no name calling on any post, but certain posters on here are in your face on every little thing that is said if they don't agree.  



My example of this would be if five people have one opinion certain posters on here always feel the need to respond to everyone of those people over and over again and bog down the whole mesage board.  Admin seems to think this is a good thing and I disagree....The fact is it is their board so they can do what they want with it, but in my opinion that is why people stay away.[/quote]


TB, that really contradicts what you said earlier.  Earlier you stated the only censoring that should happen is when threatening comes into play. In this post I am taking this as you saying we should censor/ban posters just because they reply back and disagree with other posters regularly (or to an incessant degree.) That would be a pretty liberal definition of censorship in my mind.  Not sure where you got the impression I or anyone else thought this is a "good thing" because that is some of the exact type of behavior I am trying to discourage.  The back and forth rants typically happen because it turns personal, which is exactly what we have started to enforce as unacceptable and will continue to do so going forward.



By eliminating personal attacks/comments we may lose interest of a few posters, but I am okay with that and believe we would attract significantly more people who want to discuss and debate Husky hockey without reading through a personal flamefest every few posts.

[/quote]


I don't think you should censor at all except if people threaten. The back and forth happens all time even when there is no threatening or name calling going on. usually name calling happens because people get sick of reading certain peoples endless posts on basically every subject. I am just being honest on why people stay away. The in your face approach keeps the new people you want here away. It's fine if you don't agree with me.
User avatar
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 5121
Joined: 23 Jan 2003, 22:59

Next

Return to On The Bench

Who is online

  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 10 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 546 on 06 Jun 2012, 11:08
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest