Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Belly up to the bar and socialize with other SCSU fans while you drink a cold one. No topic is off-topic.

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby gohuskies » 18 Oct 2011, 22:11

scsutommyboy wrote: [quote author=motox link=1318942757/0#11 date=1318973512][quote author=scsutommyboy link=1318942757/0#10 date=1318971484][quote author=DirtyBottles link=1318942757/0#7 date=1318958742]@TB - I would make a couple counterpoints:



1) Maybe it's been the same ol' people on here because the level of discussion isn't particularly attractive to visitors?   Like I said before, the posters will adjust to the mods rules.   There is no reason folks can't learn to argue passionately without attacking personally - it's not really that tough.



2)  I tend to agree - I have very thick skin and don't get worked up about that kind of stuff either but the larger point here is to create a board that is fun to visit and continues to grow.   Folks may visit, but won't likely stick around if all they see is a flurry of personal attacks and name calling.  








I would love to see more people post on here.  I think the in your face responses people get on here keep most people away. When I say that I am talking about the 99% of the time there is no name calling on any post, but certain posters on here are in your face on every little thing that is said if they don't agree.  



My example of this would be if five people have one opinion certain posters on here always feel the need to respond to everyone of those people over and over again and bog down the whole mesage board.  Admin seems to think this is a good thing and I disagree....The fact is it is their board so they can do what they want with it, but in my opinion that is why people stay away.[/quote]


TB, that really contradicts what you said earlier.  Earlier you stated the only censoring that should happen is when threatening comes into play. In this post I am taking this as you saying we should censor/ban posters just because they reply back and disagree with other posters regularly (or to an incessant degree.) That would be a pretty liberal definition of censorship in my mind.  Not sure where you got the impression I or anyone else thought this is a "good thing" because that is some of the exact type of behavior I am trying to discourage.  The back and forth rants typically happen because it turns personal, which is exactly what we have started to enforce as unacceptable and will continue to do so going forward.



By eliminating personal attacks/comments we may lose interest of a few posters, but I am okay with that and believe we would attract significantly more people who want to discuss and debate Husky hockey without reading through a personal flamefest every few posts.

[/quote]


I don't think you should censor at all except if people threaten.  The back and forth happens all time even when there is no threatening or name calling going on. usually name calling happens because people get sick of reading certain peoples endless posts on basically every subject. I am just being honest on why people stay away. The in your face approach keeps the new people you want here away.  It's fine if you don't agree with me. [/quote]


I agree wholeheartedly. And I think TB's political correctness in not getting more specific is admirable, but a week ago would not have been necessary.  I may have not stated what I meant when I stated participation is down. There probably are more people registering, but it sure seems on face value, that there are fewer posters with just more posts.
User avatar
gohuskies
2nd Line
 
Posts: 462
Joined: 31 Dec 2008, 16:46

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 18 Oct 2011, 22:54

If fighting/arguing/name calling whatever is keeping people from posting, then I'm sorry, they need to toughen their skin. Passionate fans are not always going to agree and there are going to be fights. It's not supposed to be roses gifts and kumbaya.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
User avatar
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 7050
Joined: 30 Jan 2003, 11:01

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby Dude_Love » 18 Oct 2011, 23:28

Rabid_Husky wrote: If fighting/arguing/name calling whatever is keeping people from posting, then I'm sorry, they need to toughen their skin. Passionate fans are not always going to agree and there are going to be fights. It's not supposed to be roses gifts and kumbaya.



Exactly. If I wanna call Rabib a douchebag asshole, I should be able to. :)
User avatar
Dude_Love
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: 16 Jan 2003, 00:59

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby DirtyBottles » 19 Oct 2011, 07:53

Rabid_Husky wrote: If fighting/arguing/name calling whatever is keeping people from posting, then I'm sorry, they need to toughen their skin. Passionate fans are not always going to agree and there are going to be fights. It's not supposed to be roses gifts and kumbaya.



Understood - I was merely throwing that out there as a possibility.  In the end, its up to the owners of the board to decide what they want.  



As I said in another post, I'm active on 2 non hockey boards.  One is very controlled, one is the wild wild west.  Both work, both are very active and popular sites.  Again, it just depends on what "feel" the owners of this board want.   Whatever they decide, posters will adjust accordingly.



What will drive folks away is being berated for holding a certain opinion.  Folks need to recognize that disagreement is ok.  We should shoot for clarity, not agreement.   There is nothing wrong with simply saying - 'yep, I get your point of view, I don't agree but I understand where you are coming from' and then moving on.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work - Thomas Edison.

Today I will do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't - unknown
User avatar
DirtyBottles
3rd Line
 
Posts: 166
Joined: 11 Jul 2011, 12:31

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby Skeeterman » 19 Oct 2011, 08:09

Maybe an anti-redundancy type of censorship is more appropriate.

What does get sickening is seeing the same issue being explained over and over again, with no increase in clarity.
User avatar
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 2461
Joined: 19 Jan 2003, 20:44

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby DirtyBottles » 19 Oct 2011, 08:13

Skeeterman wrote: Maybe an anti-redundancy type of censorship is more appropriate.  

What does get sickening is seeing the same issue being explained over and over again, with no increase in clarity.



I think we should create a Department of Redundency Department to oversee such things. ;D
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work - Thomas Edison.

Today I will do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't - unknown
User avatar
DirtyBottles
3rd Line
 
Posts: 166
Joined: 11 Jul 2011, 12:31

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby Skeeterman » 19 Oct 2011, 09:01

DirtyBottles wrote: [quote author=Skeeterman link=1318942757/0#19 date=1319029772]Maybe an anti-redundancy type of censorship is more appropriate.  

What does get sickening is seeing the same issue being explained over and over again, with no increase in clarity.



I think we should create a Department of Redundency Department to oversee such things.   ;D

[/quote]
What department would we put that department under?
User avatar
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 2461
Joined: 19 Jan 2003, 20:44

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 19 Oct 2011, 15:21

Forum Rules



Although the administrators and moderators of Dahuskies.com forum will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this site, it is difficult for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author and NOT the owners of Dahuskies.com. Dahuskies.com will not be held responsible for the content of any message.



Submitting ANY post implies acceptance of the following rules:



1. You will not post any images or messages that are overtly obscene, vulgar, or sexually-oriented.

2. You will not post any images or messages that are hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

3. No Trolling: Trolling is defined as making inflammatory posts, lacking in substance pertaining to the thread topic, simply to elicit a negative emotional response from the thread participants.

4. If you have a disagreement with a moderator (post/thread gets deleted/edited, you get a warning, etc.) DO NOT post your complaint publicly on the forums. If the moderator's response is unsatisfactory, PM or email the administrator (username: motox).



The owners, administrators, and moderators of Dahuskies.com reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
User avatar
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 4330
Joined: 20 Jan 2003, 22:21

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby DirtyBottles » 19 Oct 2011, 15:41

Skeeterman wrote: [quote author=DirtyBottles link=1318942757/0#20 date=1319030032][quote author=Skeeterman link=1318942757/0#19 date=1319029772]Maybe an anti-redundancy type of censorship is more appropriate.  

What does get sickening is seeing the same issue being explained over and over again, with no increase in clarity.



I think we should create a Department of Redundency Department to oversee such things.   ;D

[/quote]
What department would we put that department under?[/quote]


Well, it would be under the Over Department....obviously.



Also - I like the forum rules. Well done.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work - Thomas Edison.

Today I will do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't - unknown
User avatar
DirtyBottles
3rd Line
 
Posts: 166
Joined: 11 Jul 2011, 12:31

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby gohuskies » 19 Oct 2011, 16:50

Job well done creating a very straight forward set of basic rules. My only disappointment is that, due to rule #1, we won't get to hear much from skeeterman anymore. That's too bad.
User avatar
gohuskies
2nd Line
 
Posts: 462
Joined: 31 Dec 2008, 16:46

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby scsutommyboy » 19 Oct 2011, 17:04

The_Exiled_One wrote: Forum Rules



Although the administrators and moderators of Dahuskies.com forum will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this site, it is difficult for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author and NOT the owners of Dahuskies.com.  Dahuskies.com will not be held responsible for the content of any message.



Submitting ANY post implies acceptance of the following rules:



1. You will not post any images or messages that are overtly obscene, vulgar, or sexually-oriented.

2. You will not post any images or messages that are hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

3. No Trolling: Trolling is defined as making inflammatory posts, lacking in substance pertaining to the thread topic, simply to elicit a negative emotional response from the thread participants.

4. If you have a disagreement with a moderator (post/thread gets deleted/edited, you get a warning, etc.) DO NOT post your complaint publicly on the forums. If the moderator's response is unsatisfactory, PM or email the administrator (username: motox).



The owners, administrators, and moderators of Dahuskies.com reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason.



skeeterman might as quit posting with those rules. ;D
User avatar
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 5121
Joined: 23 Jan 2003, 22:59

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby scsutommyboy » 19 Oct 2011, 17:05

gohuskies wrote: Job well done creating a very straight forward set of basic rules. My only disappointment is that, due to rule #1, we won't get to hear much from skeeterman anymore. That's too bad.



you beat me to it.... ;D
User avatar
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 5121
Joined: 23 Jan 2003, 22:59

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby gohuskies » 19 Oct 2011, 17:29

scsutommyboy wrote: [quote author=gohuskies link=1318942757/0#24 date=1319061013]Job well done creating a very straight forward set of basic rules. My only disappointment is that, due to rule #1, we won't get to hear much from skeeterman anymore. That's too bad.



you beat me to it.... ;D[/quote]
I might be obnoxious, but I'm a quick obnoxious.
User avatar
gohuskies
2nd Line
 
Posts: 462
Joined: 31 Dec 2008, 16:46

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 19 Oct 2011, 19:52

I did say "overtly", so he has some leeway. Fun is still tolerated. :)
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
User avatar
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 4330
Joined: 20 Jan 2003, 22:21

Respectful opinions on level of censorship

Unread postby Skeeterman » 19 Oct 2011, 21:25

I hope I can at least be as suggestive as network tv. Like NYPD Blue when they referred to mother humpers or when Seinfeld thought of the women's name Delores, or when Two and a Half Men refer to all kinds of escapades. Even when, on Leave it to Beaver on old time tv, when June Cleaver said to Ward "you were a little hard on the Beaver last night".

At least.
User avatar
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist
 
Posts: 2461
Joined: 19 Jan 2003, 20:44

PreviousNext

Return to On The Bench

Who is online

  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 10 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 546 on 06 Jun 2012, 11:08
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest