Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

New Site Brainstorms/Open thread (Site Updates)

Belly up to the bar and socialize with other SCSU fans while you drink a cold one. No topic is off-topic.

Unread postby mdneilson » 03 Oct 2011, 17:08

To keep the other threads from running too far off topic, I've started this one for random ideas and discussion.

In the logo thread i asked how simple/busy people would like the new site. From the info-filled sioux sports dashboard, to gpl simplicity, or a hybrid of the two with a small collection of info on a home page and then simple sub-pages. Any opinions or suggestions?

Site Design Updates:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1198269/forum3-10.01.2011.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1198269/forum3-10.04.2011.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1198269/forum3-10.05.2011.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1198269/forum3-10.06.2011.jpg
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 03 Oct 2011, 22:46

I guess our 'home' would be similar to GPL's portal... hmmm
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 03 Oct 2011, 22:56

mdneilson wrote: I guess our 'home' would be similar to GPL's portal... hmmm

That's fine, but I'd prefer a few more tabs at the top (forum, blog, about, team, photos, videos, schedule & results).  Not all of those, but you get my point.  Links and additional nav on the left.  Twitter feed on the right.  RSS feed top middle.  Forum just under that.  Don't care about what's under the forum.

If we were paying him, I'd ask my designer friend to do a wireframe.  I guess I should be happy with the logo!
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 03 Oct 2011, 23:05

The_Exiled_One wrote: That's fine, but I'd prefer a few more tabs at the top (forum, blog, about, team, photos, videos, schedule & results).  Not all of those, but you get my point.  Links and additional nav on the left.  Twitter feed on the right.  RSS feed top middle.  Forum just under that.  Don't care about what's under the forum.

If we were paying him, I'd ask my designer friend to do a wireframe.  I guess I should be happy with the logo!

I was already planning on adding a sidebar. I just wanted to get people's opinions on the overall look before going further. I'm working on figuring out the best layout now. I don't think that I'll put two sidebars up, that seems like a bit of an overload. Anyone else want to weigh in on that one?
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby LadyHusky17 » 03 Oct 2011, 23:51

I would wonder if there would be a way to sort of choose which stuff you'd personally want on the top of your page for feeds wise... think sort of like how you can "collapse" the sections of this form (specifically the "General" section, the "College Hockey" section and the "Off Topic" section on the main page of the form.

If that were able to happen then maybe put a similar little indicator that something new has popped up in those things that you collapsed that weren't form posts and if you're curious you can read it.
Come to SCSU! Get whip-Lasch! -LadyHusky17

Did I mention I'm a bad speller? -LadyHusky17
LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 04 Oct 2011, 02:31

LadyHusky17 wrote: I would wonder if there would be a way to sort of choose which stuff you'd personally want on the top of your page for feeds wise... think sort of like how you can "collapse" the sections of this form (specifically the "General" section, the "College Hockey" section and the "Off Topic" section on the main page of the form.

If that were able to happen then maybe put a similar little indicator that something new has popped up in those things that you collapsed that weren't form posts and if you're curious you can read it.

Just to make sure I understand, collapsible/rearrange-able sidebar boxes?

The_Exiled_One wrote: That's fine, but I'd prefer a few more tabs at the top (forum, blog, about, team, photos, videos, schedule & results).  Not all of those, but you get my point.  Links and additional nav on the left.  Twitter feed on the right.  RSS feed top middle.  Forum just under that.  Don't care about what's under the forum.

RSS feed to what? For subscribing?
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 04 Oct 2011, 03:05

I posted a link to a current design update.

I added:

vertical right-hand column

twitter and rss links/icons

more top menu choices and separators

removed text size buttons

added a search box

I will make mock-ups for other pages soon -- I've got a busy few days at work though, so I won't be as fast as I was last weekend. Keep the input coming!
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 04 Oct 2011, 08:16

mdneilson wrote:

RSS feed to what? For subscribing?

Same idea, but instead of "pulling" personal content we'd be "pushing" scsu hockey content from other sources

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby motox » 04 Oct 2011, 09:46

I like a more simplistic home page with links to get you to the sections you're interested in. I agree with an inbetween approach of gpl and ss. I like the look of the revised version. Once the new logo is designed that can take the place of the Blizzard head. Maybe have the Forum link the next one after Home on the top bar since that is where most people would go?

On the home page I think it would be good to have standings and recent/upcoming games on a sidebar, news articles/links front and center.
motox
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 04 Oct 2011, 21:21

The_Exiled_One wrote: Same idea, but instead of "pulling" personal content we'd be "pushing" scsu hockey content from other sources

motox wrote: I like a more simplistic home page with links to get you to the sections you're interested in.  I agree with an inbetween approach of gpl and ss.  I like the look of the revised version.  Once the new logo is designed that can take the place of the Blizzard head.  Maybe have the Forum link the next one after Home on the top bar since that is where most people would go?

On the home page I think it would be good to have standings and recent/upcoming games on a sidebar, news articles/links front and center.

That makes sense. I will move forum over on the menu and remove the links section since they will be on the home page anyway.

Do we want an RSS feed in a column on the home page next to the links (for example), or should we have them automatically compiled into a news page of their own, or have a top ticker-style feed?

I like having a dedicated news page, then users can get a short summary and click through to the reporting site if they want to read more. I also don't want to have unnecessary pages when the content can be placed elsewhere.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 04 Oct 2011, 21:54

mdneilson wrote: [quote author=The_Exiled_One link=1317679734/0#7 date=1317734189]Same idea, but instead of "pulling" personal content we'd be "pushing" scsu hockey content from other sources

motox wrote: I like a more simplistic home page with links to get you to the sections you're interested in.  I agree with an inbetween approach of gpl and ss.  I like the look of the revised version.  Once the new logo is designed that can take the place of the Blizzard head.  Maybe have the Forum link the next one after Home on the top bar since that is where most people would go?

That makes sense. I will move forum over on the menu and remove the links section since they will be on the home page anyway.

Do we want an RSS feed in a column on the home page next to the links (for example), or should we have them automatically compiled into a news page of their own, or have a top ticker-style feed?

I like having a dedicated news page, then users can get a short summary and click through to the reporting site if they want to read more. I also don't want to have unnecessary pages when the content can be placed elsewhere.[/quote]
I was thinking ticker style, but I'm certainly the owner of this project and I'm open to everything.  In general, my idea is just to create a dashboard style mainpage that updates content automatically, so nobody has to edit content on a daily basis.  Even if it's just a twitter feed, I'm okay with that too.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby LadyHusky17 » 04 Oct 2011, 22:14

mdneilson wrote: [quote author=LadyHusky17 link=1317679734/0#4 date=1317703883]I would wonder if there would be a way to sort of choose which stuff you'd personally want on the top of your page for feeds wise... think sort of like how you can "collapse" the sections of this form (specifically the "General" section, the "College Hockey" section and the "Off Topic" section on the main page of the form.

Just to make sure I understand, collapsible/rearrange-able sidebar boxes?

[/quote]

That would be the basic idea if the content is just above the forums. Just thinking of those who might want to go directly into the forums. That was basically what I did after a while when the site still had more than just the forums, would end up bypassing the main page just to get to the messageboard.
Come to SCSU! Get whip-Lasch! -LadyHusky17

Did I mention I'm a bad speller? -LadyHusky17
LadyHusky17
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby motox » 04 Oct 2011, 22:45

mdneilson wrote:

I like having a dedicated news page, then users can get a short summary and click through to the reporting site if they want to read more. I also don't want to have unnecessary pages when the content can be placed elsewhere.

Depending on the amount of news we can get feeding into the site I like the idea of a separate news page. Maybe a small RSS feed box on the main page and if enough content is available a separate news page with more detail? Not sure if that would be too much overlap?

I've seen other sites also include a section of small links on the bottom of all their pages with things like "About, Contact, FAQS, etc."  I like the approach of having the site as clean as possible but still having relevant content easily accessible.  Some of these ideas come from a site that I think has a good balance.  I know the guy who started this company and they seem to do a great job, if we ever got into advertising for the site this is something we could even consider.  www.triggit.com.  
motox
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 06 Oct 2011, 22:34

I posted a small update. I added a revision from yesterday that I forgot to post. I added a page indicating tab on the menu, added shadows to the site name and logo to enhance the 3d effect.

I also have a comparison that I whipped up quickly today that has an alternate 3d appearance on the site name, and I flattened out the page separators. Ignore the flat red background on the header, that was an error (well, unless you like it).

I've started turning this into a real theme, so updates and changes can be seen live, not just in mock-ups.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 12 Oct 2011, 09:47

Trying to secure @scsuhockey twitter handle. If any of you know Max Peterson personally, tell him to answer my email. We can't pay him, but we'll buy him a beer before the hockey game of his choice (plus give him mad props for being a team player).

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Next

Return to On The Bench