Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

Help: Best cable provider for College Hockey?

Belly up to the bar and socialize with other SCSU fans while you drink a cold one. No topic is off-topic.

Unread postby motox » 21 Aug 2010, 14:48

With football season here I'm looking into the different providers: DirecTV, DISH, Comcast (currently have.) I've been getting regular cable w/ approx 70-80 channels and paying for basic at $13/month. When we moved in Comcast didn't turn it off or something so I never felt the need to get a Cable box from them or anyone else. Figured it's finally time to get DVR/HD channels and definitely want it for the NFL season.

From reading some posts on uscho and previous conversations I believe DirecTV is the best provider for college hockey, is that because of the FSN channels? Is it just the FSN channels or what other channels are important for college hockey? I don't need Sunday Ticket for football but do want RedZone. Any insight would be appreciated.
motox
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby scsuhuskyfan » 21 Aug 2010, 15:28

I have Comcast and for an additional $4.99 a month order the sports package and each Friday night you will get 2 or 3 channels besides the Gophers on your TV lineup. Generally it's the FCS, ESPNU, FSN or Big-10 channels offering games. The downfall is, you don't ge the Husky/Mankato feed that Charter cable offers for the home games.

Red Zone is also part of the Comcast sports package as well as MLB, NHL, NFL and NBA networks.
scsuhuskyfan
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby SCSUEuro » 21 Aug 2010, 17:22

roblaplante wrote: I have Comcast and for an additional $4.99 a month order the sports package and each Friday night you will get 2 or 3 channels besides the Gophers on your TV lineup. Generally it's the FCS, ESPNU, FSN or Big-10 channels offering games. The downfall is, you don't ge the Husky/Mankato feed that Charter cable offers for the home games.

Red Zone is also part of the Comcast sports package as well as MLB, NHL, NFL and NBA networks.

Yeah, but Charters screws up that feed WAY more often than they get it right.
SCSUEuro
1st Line

Unread postby Skeeterman » 21 Aug 2010, 21:23

Ive had DirecTV for about 10 years. They have been great to work with. Their customer service is excellent. I get the sports package toward tournament time. I can watch any number of games from Central and Eastern areas. I also get the FSN from Wisconsin whenever they get to do hockey. It's the best hockey coverage I know of, but I pay about 12.00 per month for it., and I can take it off when hockey seasonis over. I can add it instantly, and I do have to use it for at least 2 months, I think, before I cancel it.
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby scsutommyboy » 24 Aug 2010, 11:03

I have DirecTv and it is great. After Christmas you get tons of games. Off the top of myhead I know you get these channels. FSN channels(UM,UW & DU, Mich, MSU and other CCHA teams once in a while), NESN, CBSCollege sports and ESPNU.
scsutommyboy
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby scsuhuskyfan » 24 Aug 2010, 17:15

It kind of sounds like they all have the same service at different rates maybe. Comcast used to a few years ago pick up the Charter feeds of the SCSU/MSUM/UMD home games on KABL 13, but like another person said, the feed sucked balls. Either the audio was bad or the video was bad. They stopped doing it altogether because they got sick of people calling in blaming them, when Comcast would say it was an issue with the Charter feed.
scsuhuskyfan
Hobey Baker Finalist

Return to On The Bench