Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

Recruits and alumni thread conversion to full forums

Important news and announcements regarding SCSUHockey.com

Should the huge recruits and alumni threads be converted to forums?

Yes, I like it too.
75%
Yes, but only the recruits threads.
No votes
Yes, but only the Husky alumni thread.
No votes
No, it is perfectly fine as-is.
25%

Total votes : 12

Unread postby mdneilson » 14 Oct 2012, 15:23

So, I've been thinking that a good usability update would be to convert our massive sticky/pinned threads for committed recruits, possible recruits, and huskies in the pros (husky alumni) into full forums. There is a lot of information that is getting buried in the 2000+ posts within those threads. Instead of the information getting buried, each player could have their own thread, which would make the forums much easier to read. Also, things like TEO's legacy watch could have their own sticky/pinned thread, so those could get more focused attention. (this would also make information MUCH easier to sort for newcomers or infrequent visitors) They would be sub-forums of this forum, and would appear on top like they do currently.

I really like this idea, obviously, but would like to know what everyone else thinks too. Please, discuss here and vote in the poll.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Re: Recruits and alumni thread conversion to full forums

Unread postby mdneilson » 15 Oct 2012, 01:30

I will run the poll for the week, and make a decision before the UAH series. If the voting is close, or discussion continuing, I will postpone changes.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Fangs » 15 Oct 2012, 14:58

My perspective comes from someone who joined the night of our final five match up this spring. I was not here during the season when the forums were at what I assume is their busiest, but I did have to try and catch up, and that is a LOT of catching up. I think the proposed changes will make things a lot easier to follow for those who will hopefully be joining this forum with the launching of the site. I really like the idea of subdividing the forum. It would make it a lot more efficient.
St. Cloud State University GGGGGOOOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!!
Fangs
2nd Line

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 16 Oct 2012, 02:23

For me having one thread for each recruit is too specialized. I'll be doing the stat watch again here soon and I'm mot putting that in every players thread and there will be games where two recruits play each other, discussions on those shouldn't be split into each players thread. Maybe we could shut a recruit thread down and start a new one each season, but it gets way too confusing for me to have to put any talk on recruits into their own little thread.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Duder » 16 Oct 2012, 09:29

Rabid_Husky wrote:For me having one thread for each recruit is too specialized. I'll be doing the stat watch again here soon and I'm mot putting that in every players thread and there will be games where two recruits play each other, discussions on those shouldn't be split into each players thread. Maybe we could shut a recruit thread down and start a new one each season, but it gets way too confusing for me to have to put any talk on recruits into their own little thread.

I think Rabid's idea is the best option. Creating a new thread each season would probably be easiest for people keeping an eye on recruit's and readers. I personally don't post much on here but do come here to read the post's from people that are watching the recruits, among other things. It may be hard as a reader to have to go to each individual recruit thread to try and catch all the comments and updates.
Duder
3rd Line

Unread postby mdneilson » 16 Oct 2012, 10:42

Rabid_Husky wrote:For me having one thread for each recruit is too specialized. I'll be doing the stat watch again here soon and I'm mot putting that in every players thread and there will be games where two recruits play each other, discussions on those shouldn't be split into each players thread. Maybe we could shut a recruit thread down and start a new one each season, but it gets way too confusing for me to have to put any talk on recruits into their own little thread.

Stat updates in the forums will eventually, soon, be unnecessary. We will have a dedicated page for every committed recruit that will include past and current stats with other information. Forum threads will only be necessary for discussion and non-stat related updates. People are, of course, welcome to post stat updates, I know some people appreciate them. But that data will be easily obtainable on the recruits section of the main site. There could be a single sticky for stat updates of all players (further making that data more accessible), but discussions still limited to a player's thread.

New annual threads will mean that information posted in a previous season will be lost, or will still have to be dug up. In the current format, each year uses about 500 posts, or 50 pages. That is a lot of information to try to sort through. Even complicated advance searches would produce unrealistic amounts of information to attempt sorting through. With distant recruits like Patrick Newell, posts could span half a decade, making older information difficult if not nearly impossible to find. Sure, there will be players who only have a few posts in their thread, but the objective is to reduce dauntingly extended threads, and to make all the information much more organized and accessible.

The extended threads work alright with the season open threads, because there is a new thread for each series, and the old information becomes pretty irrelevant very quickly. I've found myself combing the recruits thread several times trying to dig up old information only to give up out of frustration. The current system may work, and a single thread may be more convenient for making posts. But it doesn't work well, and is painfully difficult for reading posts (especially for trying to track posts of a single player).
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 16 Oct 2012, 12:20

Sounds like you have your mind made up to do it so I'm not sure why you are asking for input if that's the case. I'm also not sure what info you are looking for that is so hard to find on these guys in the thread as it currently stands. Again, I think having a single thread for every recruit will be more confusing than one thread for them all because so much conversation overlaps because a lot of them play in the same league.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 16 Oct 2012, 12:42

Rabid_Husky wrote:Sounds like you have your mind made up to do it so I'm not sure why you are asking for input if that's the case. I'm also not sure what info you are looking for that is so hard to find on these guys in the thread as it currently stands. Again, I think having a single thread for every recruit will be more confusing than one thread for them all because so much conversation overlaps because a lot of them play in the same league.

I think it was obvious from the first post what I thought of the idea - I wouldn't even have made a proposal if I didn't like it. The thing is, this is a community. I may be an admin, but that doesn't mean that I should make several drastic changes just because I think it is a good thing. A responsible leader in almost any situation should take the opinions of their followers into consideration when making a decision - I apply the same philosophy to being an admin. I like making the change, but want everyone who cares to vote to be counted, and I want to hear counter arguments and alternate choices. Posts like yours and others in here are exactly the feedback that I want. And I welcome more and all. :)
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 16 Oct 2012, 12:47

I am pretty surprised that this poll has almost 100 views, but only 10 votes. :/
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 18 Oct 2012, 12:17

I voted to leave it. I might stop posting in the recruit threads in the not-too-distant future for a particular reason. I figured that I drove a lot of the conversation in the recruiting threads, and I think a new forum might not be able to support a healthy amount of conversation without my input. Of course, I'm probably overstating the significance of my contributions, but that's why I voted no anyway.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby motox » 18 Oct 2012, 13:01

Personally I don't see much difference other than a couple extra clicks to get to a cleaner layout. It eliminates having those threads pinned at the top of the current "SCSU Huskies" forum. It also allows (doesn't necessarily require) individual threads to be started for specific players. We can still have Rabid's recruit updates and TEO's legacy watch/recruit updates too, I would actually propose those are their own threads. Those are both valuable lists to have but it would likely make them easier to find and follow. If we have a specific thread for those how much easier would it be to compare the numbers of this years recruits to last years? Or see how the recruiting list has evolved over a 12 month period. My thought is that it would make it quite a bit easier. The goal is to make the forums more user-friendly, not push posters away or make them think their contributions are less valued. To me just the opposite would happen, you can essentially create a dedicated thread to your information and foster more discussion around what you post. Am I way off base?
motox
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 18 Oct 2012, 18:59

Thanks Motox. That is exactly my intentions and thoughts about the proposal.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 18 Oct 2012, 22:52

I don't see the information getting lost in the current system. You can search for a players last name and find the info you need on them. It may take a bit of clicking but it can be done. Again for me the issue becomes when we want to talk about more than one recruit at a time, where does that go? Do we have threads for every recruit and then a general "discussion" area for talk of multiple ones? Then that one would be used for all the info and we are right back where we started.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 19 Oct 2012, 03:00

Rabid_Husky wrote:I don't see the information getting lost in the current system. You can search for a players last name and find the info you need on them. It may take a bit of clicking but it can be done.

That is the exact problem with the current system. Users shouldn't have to conduct a search when looking for tidbits of information, and the average visitor won't spend that much time on it either. The point is accessibility of information, which currently is very limited. If a one-time visitor is looking for information on a player, they certainly aren't going to dig post-by-post from a search. Also, there isn't a search option to limit to individual threads, just forums. Say we had a Johnson recruit right now, posts about him would be mingled with Taylor Johnson.

Again for me the issue becomes when we want to talk about more than one recruit at a time, where does that go? Do we have threads for every recruit and then a general "discussion" area for talk of multiple ones? Then that one would be used for all the info and we are right back where we started.

It isn't very frequent that we talk about two recruits at the same time (ex: they play each other head-to-head). It is usually just that it all is jumbled together in a single post since all recruits are in a single thread.

As Motox said, I don't want to alienate users, at all. I'm just trying to make the site as user-friendly as possible. The easier the site is to use, the more interest there will be. Unfortunately, that sometimes means making some interface and functionality changes.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 19 Oct 2012, 08:54

Every search engine in the world pulls up some results that aren't going to be wanted when searching for something, that's how they work. Anyone who is llikely going to be coming here is probably college level or at the very least high school so filtering through stuff while searching is the normal routine. Also, it doesn't matter if this place is "more user friendly" according to you if people don't know about it in the first place. This place isn't going to get more traffic because our recruit info is separated by recruiit instead of in one big thread.
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Next

Return to News & Announcements