Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

Recruits and alumni thread conversion to full forums

Recruits and alumni thread conversion to full forums

Important news and announcements regarding SCSUHockey.com

Should the huge recruits and alumni threads be converted to forums?

Yes, I like it too.
75%
Yes, but only the recruits threads.
No votes
Yes, but only the Husky alumni thread.
No votes
No, it is perfectly fine as-is.
25%

Total votes : 12

Re: Recruits and alumni thread conversion to full forums

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 19 Oct 2012, 16:26

mdneilson wrote:That is the exact problem with the current system. Users shouldn't have to conduct a search when looking for tidbits of information, and the average visitor won't spend that much time on it either. The point is accessibility of information, which currently is very limited. If a one-time visitor is looking for information on a player, they certainly aren't going to dig post-by-post from a search. Also, there isn't a search option to limit to individual threads, just forums. Say we had a Johnson recruit right now, posts about him would be mingled with Taylor Johnson.

I say, if you're going to do it, just create a "recruiting" forum, un-stick and move over the existing recruiting threads, and let everything else happen organically. People will post where they feel it's most appropriate.

Don't create an alumni forum, there's not enough interest.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 19 Oct 2012, 17:43

The_Exiled_One wrote:I say, if you're going to do it, just create a "recruiting" forum, un-stick and move over the existing recruiting threads, and let everything else happen organically. People will post where they feel it's most appropriate.

Don't create an alumni forum, there's not enough interest.

I wasn't planning on deleting the existing threads completely. Just move them and lock them. Do you think just one forum will work well? Maybe just add to the thread title if they're committed or potential? That is a good point about an alumni forum. Maybe a site section for alumni would be better?
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 20 Oct 2012, 15:58

Ok. I think I've worked out a solution. We will maintain threads pinned for the sections as-is, but start new threads annually. Significant information like articles, video highlights, etc will be added to each person's page in the main site for both alumni and recruits. This way there is less confusion of what to post where in the forum, but less active visitors can still get a good amount of relevant information easily. The threads will be archived/locked just before the start of a season when we know what current recruits will be added to our roster (this also helps keep the database a little easier to maintain). The one issue that this brings up is that it will require more maintenance on the main site. I'm not sure how much time motox has to contribute, I will do what I can, but some extra help would be appreciated. If you're willing to give a hand, send me a PM (Rabid, I think you already said you could help with recruiting info, but that was a while ago).

Thanks for all the discussion. This community is important to a lot of us, and I want to be sure that it is always somewhere that everyone feels welcome. Let me know if you think that this sounds like a good solution too.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 22 Oct 2012, 01:42

Well, I'll take the lack of dissent regarding my last post as a good sign. If I don't hear anything in the next few days, I will commit the changes and move this thread to the admin forum.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Previous

Return to News & Announcements