Important news and announcements regarding SCSUHockey.com

Re: Site Issues

Unread postby Boomer » 26 Feb 2013, 09:41

Thanks!!
Boomer
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 10 Apr 2013, 11:47

I fixed the team page being broken. Looks like the Gallery is a permissions problem, but I didn't have a chance to fix it over my lunch break. I'll get it back up later tonight.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 12 Apr 2013, 01:09

Fixes:
Sharing Buttons
Comments on posts
Some image links
Sidebar Formatting
Meta Content availability
Blog section feed
A lot of back-end tweaks

To do:
Gallery still down
Quick Stats/Standings/etc sidebar widget(s)
Front Page showcase
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 12 Apr 2013, 20:18

YouTube embedding added to the forum ie:
Code: Select all
[youtube]http://youtu.be/PNiOll7-fqg[/youtube]
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 15 Apr 2013, 13:25

BUGS
- The <span> tags need to include the entire blog post title.
- The <span> tags need to include the entire plug-in titles (SCSU vs. Quinnipiac, Team Menu, Twitter Updates, etc).
- Didn't the main navigation utilize drop-down menus at some point? Those would be nice to have back.
- The text "Click here for the full article." on the front page article snippet needs to be linked to the offsite source. The title of the article can continue to link internally (good SEO benefit).

ENHANCEMENTS
- We'll want fresh images at the top of the main page from time to time. Once the gallery is working the way you like, you could created a "front page" folder, then pull images from there and rotate them in and out... maybe where the WCHA Championship banner is now?
- Decrease the line spacing on the news article titles.
- After a while, you could move the WCHA Championship and the Frozen Four logos to the right column under a new widget. Maybe Drew's Hobey Baker Award too.
- Start stripping out the SCSU logo from the message board and other places before we get a C&D order.
It's almost like it's something bigger than yourself.
Playing at St. Cloud State has been the best four years of my life.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 17 Apr 2013, 14:21

The_Exiled_One wrote:BUGS
- The <span> tags need to include the entire blog post title.
- The <span> tags need to include the entire plug-in titles (SCSU vs. Quinnipiac, Team Menu, Twitter Updates, etc).
- Didn't the main navigation utilize drop-down menus at some point? Those would be nice to have back.
- The text "Click here for the full article." on the front page article snippet needs to be linked to the offsite source. The title of the article can continue to link internally (good SEO benefit).

ENHANCEMENTS
- We'll want fresh images at the top of the main page from time to time. Once the gallery is working the way you like, you could created a "front page" folder, then pull images from there and rotate them in and out... maybe where the WCHA Championship banner is now?
- Decrease the line spacing on the news article titles.
- After a while, you could move the WCHA Championship and the Frozen Four logos to the right column under a new widget. Maybe Drew's Hobey Baker Award too.
- Start stripping out the SCSU logo from the message board and other places before we get a C&D order.

The first word in the titles is set to be slightly transparent on purpose in both the post titles and widgets (that is what the span is for)

Drop-downs were used on the menu previously, the forum's menu is a pain to style with them and was removed to get full integration faster. I plan on re-implementing the drops over the off season.

The front page 'read more...' is a 'snippet' from the article, automatically generated by the software. I'm not sure how to force the link to persist, but I'll figure it out.

The front page is VERY raw as-is. There will be a carousel showcase for articles in due time; I had the code working previous, but the formatting was horrendous, so I disabled it before going live. I have a local clone of the site that I'm refining, then I duplicate the refinements on here once I know that they don't break anything. I really like the idea of cycling images in the banner placeholder, I'll get on that! I was thinking of moving all our current banners to "hang" off the main menu, what do you think?

Decrease the line spacing? The character spacing, so the titles are more compact? Or the line spacing, so the break between the title and content is smaller? Or both?

I know the important people at the school know the site, I've talked with Tracy Dill and Heather Weems specifically about it. They haven't expressed any discord with having the logo here, but I agree that it is better to be safe than sorry. We've also talked a little about our options with this issue; maybe it won't be necessary in the near future.

-----

Keep the suggestions and ideas coming. If anyone has any input, just post here. :D
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 17 Apr 2013, 15:03

mdneilson wrote:The first word in the titles is set to be slightly transparent on purpose in both the post titles and widgets (that is what the span is for)

Hmmm.. just as a style? Okay then. It looked a little strange to me, but I might be the only one.

mdneilson wrote:The front page 'read more...' is a 'snippet' from the article, automatically generated by the software. I'm not sure how to force the link to persist, but I'll figure it out.

...or just find a way to cut that off and force people to click the title.

mdneilson wrote:I was thinking of moving all our current banners to "hang" off the main menu, what do you think?

That might look nice.

mdneilson wrote:Decrease the line spacing? The character spacing, so the titles are more compact? Or the line spacing, so the break between the title and content is smaller? Or both?

Just the line spacing between the first line of the title and the wrapped second line of the title.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 24 Apr 2013, 11:33

The_Exiled_One wrote:
mdneilson wrote:The first word in the titles is set to be slightly transparent on purpose in both the post titles and widgets (that is what the span is for)

Hmmm.. just as a style? Okay then. It looked a little strange to me, but I might be the only one.

I'll tinker around, see if I can make it a little more attractive.

-----------

Sorry for the extended down time. We're working on migrating to a new server, and ran into a few hiccups. We're still on the old one, but will make the move complete shortly. I'm also aware of some of the performance and connectivity problems at the moment. I'll get on them when I finish work.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby The_Exiled_One » 25 Apr 2013, 11:30

The_Exiled_One wrote:
mdneilson wrote:Decrease the line spacing? The character spacing, so the titles are more compact? Or the line spacing, so the break between the title and content is smaller? Or both?

Just the line spacing between the first line of the title and the wrapped second line of the title.

Decreasing the character spacing does not look right. Better the old way.

Still, if you can find a way to decrease the spacing in the line wrap, better yet.

~ Nic Dowd
The_Exiled_One
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 27 Apr 2013, 08:54

The_Exiled_One wrote:Decreasing the character spacing does not look right. Better the old way.

Still, if you can find a way to decrease the spacing in the line wrap, better yet.

I was really confused - I didn't have time yet to tweak the front page, but I did fix a web-font issue, so the font changed. I adjusted the wrap height and the letter spacing. What do you think now? Should I change the font back to Helvetica?
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby Rabid_Husky » 16 May 2013, 01:40

Is the server slow for anyone else? Every page takes at least 30 seconds to load. I tried editing a post and when I hit submit, it loaded and loaded and never edited it. Would let me delete it either. Been happening for a couple days.
Hating the Gophers and Michigan Fans year round
U-M-D SUCKS!!

Herb Brooks 1937-2003
Tom Black 1958-2006 RIP uncle
Rabid_Husky
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby mdneilson » 19 May 2013, 11:45

I haven't experienced anything that bad, but we know the server is under-performing. I'm planning on migrating to a new one today or Tuesday. The site may go down for a few hours when I do. I'll post notifications on here, Twitter, and Facebook.

Sent from Tapatalk on Android.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby ts8801 » 07 Dec 2013, 19:39

When i click the forums link from the main page i get brought to a page using the same format as the main site and not to the forums.
ts8801
3rd Line

Unread postby mdneilson » 09 Dec 2013, 00:58

ts8801 wrote:When i click the forums link from the main page i get brought to a page using the same format as the main site and not to the forums.

Thanks for the heads up. It has been fixed.
mdneilson
Hobey Baker Finalist

Unread postby hockeypuck » 09 Dec 2013, 12:42

mdneilson wrote:
ts8801 wrote:When i click the forums link from the main page i get brought to a page using the same format as the main site and not to the forums.

Thanks for the heads up. It has been fixed.

I have been getting that for quite a while also- I have the link in my browser and sometimes it goes to the main page. I still get it going to the main page once in awhile but now at least when I click on the Forum tab on the main page it brings me here. Before it didn't when it was acting up, it just cycled back to the main page.
hockeypuck
Hobey Baker Finalist

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements