Welcome Anonymous

St. Cloud State Husky Hockey News & Talk | SCSU Hockey
Change font size
Login or Register
Background:

Bottom feeders this year?

Discussion around the Husky women's team.

Unread postby Skeeterman » 18 Jul 2012, 11:03

SCSU has managed to be a bottom half team for several years now. Is there hope that this season's team can get it together to at least be in the middle of the pack?
Skeeterman
Hobey Baker Finalist

Re: Bottom feeders this year?

Unread postby zackfisch » 18 Jul 2012, 16:03

I'd expect an improved team from last year. SCSU really only lost one player of significance- forward Brittany Toor. She lead the team in points and was a fantastic leader in the room. Her presence will be missed greatly. But outside of her, Jaclyn Daggit was hurt most of last year, and Tayler VanDennaker didn't win a game in goal for the past two seasons. Zabrick left the team, but while she had a nice season last year, she is not a giant loss either.

SCSU won 5 games last year, and realistically should have won 5 more close ones they let slip away. To lose to Mankato 6-0 at home in December can't happen anymore either.

The young core of the team is there. Molli Mott will be healthy and Abby Ness is a great young player who has great skill and will lead the team. Alex Nelson will likely be the captain and she need to have a great senior season. Overall, she has been exceptionally hit or miss, and if she has the "C," needs to lead the team on and off the ice. Audrey Hanmer is a young puck moving D who I except to continue getting better. Add in a nice group of recruits including Hannah Brodt, and I see this team being better than last season by a good margin.

That said, it all starts with goalie Julie Friend. She got all 5 of SCSU's wins last year and was on the WCHA All-Rookie team. She showed signs of being one of the best in the league and will need to steal games. She, along with freshman backup Katie Fitzgerald, will need to be great every game in goal for SCSU to move up in the standings.

Bemidji lost a lot, and their goaltending is a major question with Zuzana gone. We could see them fall in the standings. I don't see Mankato, who SCSU passed in the standings, improving much.

I think SCSU should win double digit games this year. 10 wins should be doable. They play Lindenwood four times. They HAVE to win all 4 of those games. A must in my opinion. WCHA opponents SCSU should be able to beat include Mankato, Ohio State, and Bemedji. They can push UMD. UND, MN, and Wisco are tougher. I don't see the team finishing in the top half of the WCHA...I do think they have a chance at that during the Olympic year however if the young players live up to their potential.
zackfisch
3rd Line

Unread postby zackfisch » 26 Jul 2012, 00:14

2012- 13 SCSU Women's Hockey Roster

I'd expect a number change or two. Gilbert will likely change to 14.

1 Julie Friend-G, Soph.
2 Katie Allen-D, Sr.
3 Audrey Hammer-D, Soph.
4 Amanda Monkman-D, Jr.
5 Hanna Brodt-F, Fr.
6 Amanda Arbogast-F, Soph.
7 Skye Kelly -D, Fr.
8 Michelle Burke-D, Jr.
9 Haylea Schmid-F, Sr.
10 Kylie Lane -F, Sr.
11 Lisa Martinson-D, Sr.
12 Amy Olson-F, Jr.
13 Sydney Burghardt-F, Jr.
15 Alex Nelson-F, Sr.
15 Ivy Smith-D, Fr.
16 Vanessa Spataro-F, Fr.
18 Callie Dahl-F, Sr.
19 Abby Ness-F, Soph.
20 Julia Gilbert-F, Jr.
21 Ellie Sitek-F, Sr.
22 Kali Funk-F, Fr.
23 Molli Mott-F, Jr.
28 Cari Coen-D, Jr.
30 Anna Donlan- G, Sr.
35 Katie Fitzgerald -G, Fr.
zackfisch
3rd Line

Unread postby zackfisch » 21 Feb 2013, 19:01

Wow, forgot what I wrote before the season in here. Pretty much spot on. SCSU has 9 wins coming into the final weekend. BSU is in last, SCSU 7th. Goalies including Friend have been mostly strong, Nelson having a great year. Abby Ness has underachieved a bit, but Hamner and one I didn't mention, Haylea Schmid have been great.

Here's to hoping a little playoff magic could be in there cards
zackfisch
3rd Line

Return to Women's Hockey